PDA

View Full Version : Where do you get good Sushi in San Francisco

JimmyCrow
25th August 2001, 18:32
My girlfriend and I are going to San Francisco for Thanksgiving. Since most restaurants will be closed on Thanksgiving Day she suggested we eat sushi. I have heard that most Japanese restaurants are open every day of the year. I'm sure there are alot of Californians that are members of e-budo who have opinions of the various Japanese restaurants around San Francisco so any suggestions would be appreciated.

Thank You in Advance

Jimmy Crow

Mark Brecht
25th August 2001, 18:43
SF, sorry dunno... But btw, did you know that many "Japanese" restaurants in North America, are not authentic Japanese. Very often the cooks and owners are other asians who use it for marketing...

JimmyCrow
25th August 2001, 19:32
Thanks Mark
I have been to many Japanese restaurants here in Texas and only one of them was owned and opperated by a real Japanese Su-Chef (did I spell that right?). I figured that since there is a large Japanese community in SF that there would be a few real ones.

I realize that you are in Japan but if you are ever in Dallas for any reason check out Teppos. It is amazing. Well it's amazing to those of us who can't get to Japan. You lucky dog.:p

Thanks Again

Jimmy Crow

red_fists
25th August 2001, 23:17
Hi.

Here is abit of insight into Japanese Food overseas, for some time my Wife worked in the Tourist Industry and had insight into the kitchens of some Japanese Restaurants overseas.

The majority of them seemed to use semi-instant food, in short the same stuff that we can buy over here in Japan at the Supermarkets for around a few hundred Yen.

Some of the worst Japanese Food I have seen in Thailand, which is amazing as that resort is frequented by a lot of Japanese Tourists.

"Katsu in Ramen Soup".

And that was at supposed to be an authentic Japanese Restaurant.

Charlie Kondek
27th August 2001, 17:55
Man! In SF there's a sushi bar on every corner - right next to the coffee house on every corner! I doubt you'll have any trouble finding some edibles. A cool theme restaurant is called, I believe, Blowfish, and is somewhere near the Mission district. Or just saunter down to Japan Town just west of Nob Hill and ask one of the shopkeepers there what they think.

JimmyCrow
3rd September 2001, 01:05
O.K. if no one knows of any any good sushi places in San Francisco how about recommendations of any restaurant there. I heard that Charles of Knob Hill is excellent, anyone ever been there. I just saw their chef (Ron Sigel) win on Iron Chef. Like I said in my first post I have never been to S.F. before so I need all the help I can get.

Thanks

JimmyCrow
3rd September 2001, 01:08
Charlie

I'm sorry I didn't thank you for your response. I will check out the restaurant you recommended.

JimmyCrow
20th September 2001, 03:35
I thought I would post again to bring this thread back to the surface.

:D :smash: