PDA

View Full Version : Dented bo

Eric Baluja
10th July 2000, 22:34
Dear folks,

Is there any way to take dents out of wooden training tools, in my case a rokushaku-bo? Or am I going to have to just learn to live with the new "moonscape" surface?

Thanks!

Eric Baluja

gozanryu
11th July 2000, 01:18
Yes, there is a way to remove the dents, sometimes, depending on the finish, type of wood, etc. You get the idea. he method is Steam. You can use steam to raise the dents on many types of wood.Use one of those hand held travel steamers (for clothes) or a steaming Kettle of water. This method will raise the grain and remove ANY finish,thus necessatating refinishing. (e-mail Barton on that subject)

Tony Peters
11th July 2000, 04:45
Originally posted by gozanryu
Yes, there is a way to remove the dents, sometimes, depending on the finish, type of wood, etc. You get the idea. the method is Steam. You can use steam to raise the dents on many types of wood.Use one of those hand held travel steamers (for clothes) or a steaming Kettle of water. This method will raise the grain and remove ANY finish,thus necessatating refinishing. (e-mail Barton on that subject)
Yup steam will remove a dent...providing there is no major fiber breakdown otherwise it steaming it will just serve to shorten the life of your Bo. The type of wood is a major factor, Cheap taiwanese pine/red oak has lousey crush resistance and thereforewill break no matter what. My Jodo sensei has some Kashi (japanese live oak) Jo's that are couple of decades old the surface is shiny though there is a texture to it. The texture makes it much easier to grasp when it's wet (outdoor class) BTW if you have to put a finish on your Bo keep it simple mineral walnut, almond or clove oil work well, anthing else get's sticky.

WI Budo Center
16th July 2000, 04:16
Hi Eric,

I guess I'm missing something. WHat is the big deal in regards to this dent? I would have more concerns if your head got dented 8-)

Seriously, if you are training in Bo, one of the auxiliary excercises of bo, is kumi bo. Or sparring with bo. The bo should be taking dents, cracks, etc. You should probably be replacing your bo on occasion. I have several, one I keep just for kata, etc. The others are in varied shape, and have dents galore. But my head, does not!!

kenshorin
29th July 2000, 20:40
Hey -

kind of a related question...

I have a really solid white oak bo; the thing has lasted me for quite some time. It has never dented doing kumi bo but just last week I noticed some minor splitting in the grain. Is there any type of solution you guys know of to keep moisture from accumulating in these cracks? They are minor but I would like to help preserve my bo for a while longer ( sentimental value, ya know? :) )

Thanks a bunch

Tony Peters
30th July 2000, 00:09
Originally posted by kenshorin
Hey -

kind of a related question...

I have a really solid white oak bo; the thing has lasted me for quite some time. It has never dented doing kumi bo but just last week I noticed some minor splitting in the grain. Is there any type of solution you guys know of to keep moisture from accumulating in these cracks? They are minor but I would like to help preserve my bo for a while longer ( sentimental value, ya know? :) )

Thanks a bunch

you can mix up some epoxy and put into the cracks. Be sure to get a really viscus glue that will sink way into the openings. Help it along with a pin or other type instrument don't worry about using to much any excess can be trimmed and sanded off later. Just be careful if you oil you bo as it will erode the glue's foundation somewhat.
good luck

kenshorin
30th July 2000, 14:02
Tony-

that sounds great! thanks for the reply!