PDA

View Full Version : Instructor hierarchy

kenshorin
26th August 2001, 17:31
This question is for people running a dojo. I have seen dojos where just obtaining a certain rank in their given art qualifies that individual to start teaching. Other schools have a long process of seminars etc. that have to be attended in order to become an instructor. My question is, how do you manage the instructors under you in your dojo? Are there any requirements? Any skills, eg CPR training, that you require of them? As people I train start getting to the level where I might let them start teaching classes, I have a few ideas, but I wanted to see what you guys/gals have in place in your dojo, and if possible, include what factors made you decide to go that route.

Jeff O
27th August 2001, 13:48
Hi Ken,

I don't run a martial arts school full-time per say, but do run a club. We currently have six volunteer instructors. We study Bujinkan Budo, and something that was pressed on me when I was introduced to teaching was the character of the student who wants to teach.

Typically, a student needs to have earned a high kyu rank or a shodan before they are allowed to teach. The obvious reason is to make sure they have enough skill built up in the art to demonstrate the waza properly. But more importantly, I think you need to see how the student's emotional stability is built into their instruction. What I mean by this is that a student can learn the techniques and be very good at them, but are they showing the techniques with a good heart and strong spirit, and not to show anyone else up (show off)?

Equally, once a student begins to teach at our dojo, does their attitude change? Do they see themselves as someone "above" everyone else? This is a chance to watch their characteristics in exactly the type of environment they would have if they had their own dojo.

In my experience, our dojo usually attracts students (who may become teachers) who are good people, and not someone who is always trying to show someone how good they are. By time the student is of a level to begin teaching, we have seen their character for more than two years, and are proud to support them wherever they go. A few of our students have recently started to run their own training groups, and I support them 100%.

One last thing - in the Bujinkan, to officially teach, you must join the Shidoshi-Kai, along with some other requirements. If a student is instructing at our dojo, we consider it a learning experience, and do not require them to join the shidoshi-kai unless they want to. If they choose to open their own dojo or club though, then they must, as the rules of the Bujinkan dictate this.

As far as CPR, first-aid, etc.. - you can't go wrong there. Most of us are EMT's or at least CPR certified. To me, it's kinda like a yin/yang thing - if you are teaching people how to hurt others, you better know how to help them too. This includes medical emergencies.

I am looking forward to what other dojo-cho think about this. Good question!

Take care!

Jeff O.

KenpoKev
27th August 2001, 19:32
I completely agree that attitude is the critical issue. You must understand what you are teaching, however the motivation is of real concern.

I try to instill the qualities of a good teacher to my students shortly after they begin classes. To me "sensei = servant" you are to share and serve one another. Students are expected to help their juniors upon their 3rd Kyu. I also feel that developing teaching skills at an early stage facilitates a better understanding of technique and develops leadership skills.

One of my teenaged kids recently told me that he is no longer intimidated doing public speaking since he's been doing assistant instruction. So there's some fringe benefits to this approach as well.

I do ask that my more senior students join our local chapter of ATAMA (American Teachers Association of Martial Arts) as we have monthly classes in a variety of styles and teaching techniques. As ATAMA costs $25 a year, it's not a major financial burden and everyone seems to really enjoy our monthly training sessions.

Once or more each year, ATAMA does a training clinic which usually includes a CPR refresher, along with some first-aid, class management and educational issues.

Good topic and I'm looking forward to other ideas that I might implement. (This is a prime example of why I like E-Budo!)

kenshorin
2nd September 2001, 12:23
Gentlemen -
Thank you for the interesting comments. I have seen a lot of the things to which you are referring (both the good and the bad) Having started teaching in the teenage years myself, I can identify with the student you are talking about, Kev.

In the past, I have definitely seen a little bit of everything, in my dojo and other. Some instructors DO let the fact that they are instructors put them "ahead" of everyone else. There are those who don't even know where the First Aid kit is. Although the vast majority of instructors are good, those few always piss me off, and I want to implement a system where all the instructors are on the same page. A few of the ideas I had is since we have a youth program, to start having seminars on such topics as dealing with children with disabilities (like ADD etc. so many kids are diagnosed with it nowadays...) but since we have a lot of connections in the school system to try and invite a school psychologist to come and teach it. Who better to run the seminar than someone who is on the "front lines" so to speak every day? And like you said, First Aid and CPR are DEFINITELY things to know, IMHO, and the sad fact is most people teaching don't. I know we all strive to avoid injuries, but they happen. Also, being prepared for things other than injuries. I have seen someone have a seizure right on the dojo floor, not because of the training, just because he had a past history of them. Although there were people there who could handle the situation, I would want to make sure my dojo is equally prepared.

The important things I feel are proper communication between the imstructors. And having a few seminars on areas you feel are lacking helps. I hadn't heard about the ATAMA before. It sounds like something I might want to look into. If you have any info, could you post it up here please?

KenpoKev
4th September 2001, 04:49
Hi Ken,
Please check your PM for a local contact on ATAMA. In general you can get more info on the organization at www.atama.org the association is set up on a local chapter basis to better serve its' members. Feel free to email me for local contact info.

Thanks for your interest. BTW ATAMA's National training clinic is in San Francisco on Oct. 28th.
Regards,