PDA

View Full Version : Chin Na and Jujutsu

Benjamin Peters
27th August 2001, 03:25
Dear e-budo-Jujutsu readers,

Can anyone offer input as to the differences not in actual technique, but more so application of techniques, between Chin Na and Koryu Jujutsu ?

For instance, I'm NOT looking at a certain technique like an outward wrist turn (many variations exist and most revolve around the wrist turning out), but I am more interested in the approach which each respective art has.

From what I understand (very limited knowledge), Chin Na practitioners move in fast and furious on the principle that a lock must come on before the person knows it.

However, Jujutsu moves differently - can't quite put words to it though.....body movement differs maybe ?

Thoughts ?

:smokin:

Kit LeBlanc
27th August 2001, 06:40
Chin na is not a separate art unto itself, it is but a part of various Chinese arts' curriculum. The way a particular Chinese art performs its chin na will be dependent on that particular art's theory. One may be quite different from another. Some may share principles but completely different tactics.

Search Chin na on E-Budo and you should find similar discussions on previous threads.

Kit LeBlanc

Stevo
27th August 2001, 15:51
Hi Benjamin,

Ju jutsu itself is such a diverse art that it's not possible to define one particular approach. Some styles are very "hard", resembling arts like Goju, while others are extremely "soft", and look more like Aikido.

You mentioned that the Chin Na approach was "hard and fast". In the style of ju jutsu I learn, I'd use the term "controlled" instead of "hard", and "early" instead of "fast".

Of course, speed and power are absolutely essential. But even more important is technique and timing. :smilejapa