PDA

View Full Version : Junanshin / Nyunanshin?

Neil Hawkins
11th July 2000, 01:34
I wasn't sure where to post this question, but this is as good a place as any, so here goes.

Is anyone familiar with the terms Junanshin and Nyunanshin?

From what I am told Junanshin means:

Having sufficient belief and trust in one's teacher to do what that teacher wants in the requested way, even if one doesn't understand the reasons for that particular requirement at the time (i.e try it the teacher's way, even if it initially feels clumsy, uncomfortable or inefficient), and, accepting an opportunity for gaining deeper understanding of a technique, or some other aspect of one's art, through exploring the reasoning behind one's teacher's method.

How does this compare to what Draeger & Smith say in Comprehensive Asian Fighting Arts (1969, p93). Where they state that the student of a traditional ryu "is permitted no originality and is expected to learn to accept all teachings given to him: he must learn to exhibit nyu-nanshin or the lack of 'hardness', to the dictates of the headmaster."

These seem to be the same thing or at least very similar concepts but the Junanshin seems to put a more positive light on what you are learning. I am confused by the "lack of 'hardness'" statement made in CAFA, I don't know what they mean by this. Any suggestions?

Does this consept still exist in training today? How would you explain it?

Regards

Neil

Neil Hawkins
13th July 2000, 06:42
I recieved this from offline:

http://www.rsm.com.au/images/nyunanshin_kanji.jpg

Ju - Nan - Shin

Plient, Gentle - Soft, accepting - Mind.

Ju an Nyu are the same character, the same as in ju-jutsu. Draegers interpretation is the most accurate but lacks substance. It's one of those concepts that people bend to their own interpretation.

Basically it means (IMO) that you accept learning with an open mind, no preconceptions, an empty cup. There is no implication of trust or acceptance other than taking in everthing that is given. You should always question what is taught, as that is the path to understanding. You constantly learn, from nature, from children, from sempai and from kohei, the source is not important only the assimilation.

So should you blindly accept what is taught, or is there room to question?

I take this to mean that you accept everything and then try to sort it out for yourself. Most beginners don't have the understanding to question technique, but that doesn't mean they can't ask questions to help them understand.

The concept of nyunanshin is purely about learning and should be applied to everything, it is not unique to the Sensei - kohei relationship.

Neil

Kit LeBlanc
14th July 2000, 02:29
Neil.

Your kanji are backwards, looks like a mirror image.

I always took it in a military heirarchy sort of way. You view your lord/master(teacher's) authority without 'hardness.' Being able to subjugate yourself to authority.

Kit

Neil Hawkins
14th July 2000, 04:28
I'm no expert but I'm fairly sure they're right, remember they get read right to left. Maybe someone can verify this for me.

Neil

ghp
14th July 2000, 04:56
Neil,

You are correct -- they read from right to left.

Regards,
Guy

Earl Hartman
14th July 2000, 21:12
Junanshin can also be expressed as the quality of being "sunao", or pure and straight.

It refers to a quality of having no preconceptions and refraining from putting one's own value judgement on what is being taught.

Most people evaluate everything accoring to their own preconceived ideas and thus filter everything through their own set of values.

When one knows nothing and is seeking instruction, it is arrogant and presumptuous to question what one is taught, since this indicates that one thinks one knows more than the teacher. In Japan, this is an unacceptable quality in a student, since what it means is that, deep down, the student is, in reality, placing himself above the teacher. On a fundamental level, this prevents the student from really learning anything.

Earl

Kit LeBlanc
15th July 2000, 16:59
Okay,

My bad!

I need to hit the books again!

Kit LeBlanc

Greg Palmer
16th July 2000, 10:22
Neil

Shihan Jan de Jong has the answer to this question. Send him an e-mail and he will be only too glad to give you the answer. E-mail me for the address.

Regards Greg