PDA

View Full Version : how to say a certain phrase?

Nick
30th August 2001, 00:51
hey... can someone give me the Japanese for:

"You bring honor to (insert organization here)"

I was going to look it up for myself, but didn't want to find the wrong word and end up with sounding too feminine or something bad like that... thanks all!

Nick

Jeff Hamacher
30th August 2001, 05:59
you need to provide more context, Nick, 'cuz as far as i know there is no "stock phrase" in japanese meaning "You bring honour to (our organization)". for example, if you were to receive an important guest for a relatively short and fixed period of time, you might say:

kono tabi, o-tachiyori itadaite, makoto ni kouei ni zonjimasu.

roughly, "i/we are truly honoured to have you visit at this time."

to give you an idea of how this expession has to change according to situation, if this important guest were attending a party where you were the host, you'd probably use "go-shusseki" instead of "o-tachiyori". the above expressions are extremely formal, in fact kind of archaic, and it's very easy to make mistakes on the finer points of idiom and formality. if you can tell me more specifics, i can probably give you a more accurate "translation".

Nick
30th August 2001, 18:53
It's for a game I play, that has japanese characters in it. I wanted to have a phrase where I could just change the organization as I needed to... like if someone did a valorous deed, or something...

Jeff Hamacher
31st August 2001, 01:08
Originally posted by Nick
I wanted to have a phrase where I could just change the organization as I needed to... like if someone did a valorous deed, or something...
i recently learned some vocabulary related to "heroic deeds" and so forth; that might be useful. i'll edit this post when i can give you some real answers.:D

(time passes)

alright, i think i've found something, and actually it's fairly close to the phrase you were looking for in the first place.

anata wa waga-kou no meiyo de aru

"you are a credit/honour to our school"

instead of "waga-kou" you could try inserting the "organization name" that you were thinking of before. the other word that i turned up is "kunkou", meaning "deeds of great merit". you could mix the whole thing together and churn out something like

anata no kunkou wa waga-han no meiyo de aru

"your heroic deeds are a credit to our domain"

one last point i wanted to clarify: who is speaking to whom? are these going to be the words of a superior to a soldier or mercenary? the relative station of speaker and listener has a big influence on choice of words in japanese. get back to me and i'll see if i can finish the job.

Nick
1st September 2001, 22:44
to either an equal or an inferior... thanks for all your help

Jeff Hamacher
4th September 2001, 07:28
Originally posted by Nick
to either an equal or an inferior...
then the above expression should fit the bill. you can substitute the name of the person for the word "anata" ("you"). if it is one person speaking to a social equal, add the honourific "san", if the listener (heroic deed doer) is a subordinate, add "kun" or use no honourific. i also found a synonym for "kunkou": "kourou" is also used to mean "heroic or meritorious deeds".

thanks for all your help
any time! take care and i'll read you later.