PDA

View Full Version : New Student Questions

Dojorat
31st August 2001, 14:54
Greetins,

I teach an Aikido class at a local college. We're getting geared up for the Fall term and I've advertised the class on the local website. Here's a question I rec'd in response.

Mr. Montagu:
I was wondering how Aikido differs from other martial arts. Also, is there
any cost for students? Finally, if I decide to do Aikido, how do I sign up?
Sincerely,
(Name withheld)

I'd be interested in seeing how you folks respond to the first question regarding how Aikido differs from other martial arts. I reserve the right to "plagiarize" all of the good responses and ignore the bad ones. I'm getting about two messages a day. If I get any more good questionsfrom prospective students I'll make every effort to share and enjoy all of your thoughts and insights.

Cheers,

Kaijin
31st August 2001, 15:15
Mr. Montagu:

I am more interested in how Aikido is <i> similar </i> to other martial arts. I would like to draw correlations between certain aspects among disciplines, and show how these ideas are expressed in each.

Thank you!

Simon D
31st August 2001, 16:38
Ah but Mr Kaijin, - ( you seem to have forgotten to add your real name :)) The poor chaps question wasn't What interests You was it ? he is asking for help answering the questions of prospective aikidoka !

They are difficult questions however, Dojorat, I tend to try to deal with these carefully of course without slagging the other arts. Try emphasizing the "unusual in that Aikido has no competitions, therefore progress and pace is more self regulated" and "there is more emphasis on defense than attack"
"an especially fluid and graceful art that women and children find often easier than men.." - - Indeed very tricky to talk about - unfortunately I often slide a bit and use the challenge approach - "of course it often takes a bit longer to become proficient at Aikido than other arts as it is basically more difficult to learn in that you generally learn to 'spare' your attacker. Learning to mame , crush and kill is not quite so difficult"

However my own personal favourite is one I draw from personal experience - "aikido is the only art I know that actually gives you the opportunity to make a friend of an attacker" - On more than one occasion a would be attacker has had such a surprise he has become a student :)

Best of luck with your class

Simon Deering

Kaijin
31st August 2001, 17:08
Yikes -

I guess I did not read the "how to get the signature to work" section close enough. I am going to try again to have my sig appended, but if you see that I had to edit this post, you will know that I have failed again...

I apologize about the way I phrased my reply. What I mean is that <i> I </i> am a prospective Aikidoka, and I was hoping to steer the thread a bit. OK, so that was selfish... gomen. ;)

Simon D
31st August 2001, 17:19
Ah James! it's you ! I guess that's ok then :laugh:

Woops - hehe! - I had trouble with the signature too :)
Damn - still didnt work ! :confused:

Simon Deering