PDA

View Full Version : Best Self-defense style?

Burt
2nd September 2001, 19:50
Hi.
I have some questions I hope someone can help me with.

First what's the difference between Aikido and Jiu-Jitsu ? They both seem to be mainly self-defense systems using the energy of the attacker, is this true?

Which style (do you think) offers the best self-defense system and why (compared to other styles)? The question isn't about one style vs. another, I'm only thinking about self-defense.

Hope you can help. Thanks.

yanceyw
2nd September 2001, 23:18
Hi, I'm new to E-budo but I have been training for over 20 years in some form of martial art or another. I can tell you that the most importain thing that I have learned is that its not the art so much as the student and the teacher that is importain. If you have confidence in yourself and the teacher then you are already ahead. To directly answer you both are good in their own right. The one that suits you best is the one for you.
To give you an example I attempted to study muy-tie (excuse spelling ) My body was unsuited to that style of fighting so I never became any good. The same was true of boxing and karate. I finally found a home in ninjitsu. Try both see which suits you best . Thats where "the best lies"

Kolschey
3rd September 2001, 01:59
Mr. yancyw,

As requested by the rules of e-budo:
Please sign your posts with your full name.

You can adjust your profile to do this automatically.

Many thanks!

Burt
3rd September 2001, 08:39
Thanks your help Mr. Yancyw.

I too trained Karate, but didn't like the competition element in the art. I'm currently trying to find out a little more about ninjitsu. Maybe you could tell me a little. What's it like? what do you train? What makes ninjitsu different from your other styles?

I would be very greatful for your help. Thanks again.

MarkF
3rd September 2001, 09:58
For the two of you (Burt and Yance), you may get more information in one of several forums here on Ninpo, or ninjutsu.

Check down the main index page for them. BTW: Most involved in ninpo believe Ninpo to be a Koryu MA. I've no problem with you talking about it here, though you will get more information there.

And both of you need to begin signing your posts. You can do it manually, but you can use the signature editor you will find by clicking on the "Change Profile" button at the top of most pages. It can then become your default signature and will not have to worry about it again. The few rules here are:

Please sign your posts with your full name.
Profanity will not be tolerated.
Blatant commercial advertising is not allowed.
Treat your fellow E-Budo members with respect.

Thanks,

Mark

Burt
3rd September 2001, 10:16
sorry for not signing.

Jack L. Rasmussen