PDA

View Full Version : What movie is this?

Peisho
2nd September 2001, 20:58
I forgot the title of this movie because it was on at 3 in the morning. They showed it on the TNT or TBS channel.

It was about a samurai warped into the late 1980's - early 1990's and he found a american girl with long hair that wanted to help him get back home. Then 2 guys from the FBI are trying to take him alive to figure out how he got there. They try to ambush him with a net at a doorway and the samurai takes his sword(still in the saya) and jabs the guy on the left with the saya end and the guy on the right with the tsuka end and walks away. When the FBI recovers, they shoot a taser at him. The samurai catches the taser darts in his palm but gets shocked unconcious.
They put him and his swords in the back of a white van and drive away. The girl follows them. The samurai wakes up and sticks his katana through the seat and slashes the driver.
Then somehow(I forgot) the other FBI guy is chasing the samurai through a abandoned parking garage with a gun. The FBI shoots at the samurai and he blocks the bullets with his sword(lol).
At the end of the movie, there are two versions I think. I remember seeing one where the samurai fell off a cliff and one where he turned into a ghost and the girl saw him riding with a geisha on a horse through the woods. Or maybe that was the same ending.

Please tell me if you have any idea what this movie might be.

Don Cunningham
2nd September 2001, 23:58
The movie is "Ghost Warrior" starring Hiroshi Fujioka and Janet Julian. Released in 1984, it was produced by the same film company that made the movie, "Troll."

You've got the plot more or less correct. The samurai is shot in the back with an arrow while trying to rescue a female hostage. (They never explain why or who they are.) He falls into a frozen lake where he is found and un-thawed in 1980. The guys who shoot him with a taser are not FBI agents, but rather two of the institute's agents. Apparently, they decide that he is too much trouble to keep alive for some reason.

Of course, Janet Julian, playing an Japanese history expert brought in to try and communicate with the former popsicle samurai, is against killing him off again. She helps him escape and there are some really weird scenes as he tries to deal with the '80s. (It was tough enough for those of us who lived through them as well.) In the end, he is shot again saving Janet and dies for real this time. (You would think he would have learned about getting involved in other people's disputes, especially when there is a woman involved.)

The movie has a definite amateurish quality. There are only a couple of really neat scenes. One is where he is in the parking garage and distracts the gunman by twirling his war fan until he can close the distance and get him by throwing his kozuka (utility knife). The other part is the beginning when he is trying to rescue the hostage. One of the bad guys there is Toshiro Obata sensei of Shinkendo if I recall correctly.

Peisho
4th September 2001, 03:59
Ha. Thats right. I am starting to remember bits and pieces of it now. Its a great movie. Thanks for the help:)