PDA

View Full Version : Gotta name the baby!

Wind Warrior
3rd September 2001, 01:06
This is a strange one...

My Sensei, Rogelio Ortega, just called on the phone. One of the members of the Dojo, a long time student and police lieutenant, is having a baby. He wants to name him Antonio Rodriguez, just like him, but in Japanese.

Anyone out there who might tell me how it is translated?

Antonio is Spanish for Anthony. Rodriguez... well, is one name I have no idea how it would translate to English.

Best regards, and thanks from Panama!

Wind Warrior / Ariel Meilij
Panama / fmeilij@psi.net.pa

Wind Warrior
3rd September 2001, 01:27
Ooops, the name is not Antonio Rodriguez, but rather Edgardo Antonio.

My Sensei would say is my lack of focus!

Edgardo translates to Edgard, so the name in English would be Edgard Anthony.

Thanks a lot for a translation into Japanese.

Best regards,

Ariel Meilij
Panama / fmeilij@psi.net.pa.
:karatekid

hikari
3rd September 2001, 15:39
Rodríguez means "son of Roderick". Roderick itself means "famous ruler" according to http://www.parenthoodweb.com/parent_cfmfiles/babynames.cfm, Edgar "great spear man" and Anthony "priceless".

But I'm at a loss when it comes to translating to Japanese :rolleyes:

Soulend
3rd September 2001, 18:15
Hi everyone!

Umm..as I understand it, non-Japanese names do not have a Japanese equivalent. Most of the time a vowel is simply added to the end of the name or the name is just mangled to make it easier to pronounce for a Japanese person. Same with Western activities- thus we get 'tenisu' for tennis, and 'gorufu' for golf.

Hikari is on to something though- by knowing the meaning of the name you could translate the meaning to Japanese. May make for a damn bizarre name though....

Anyone up for taking on "priceless great spear man"?

Kyukage
3rd September 2001, 19:25
Originally posted by Soulend
Anyone up for taking on "priceless great spear man"?

Tadakatsu Honda (retainer of Tokugawa Ieyasu, and a decisive leader at Sekigahara) was also affectionately refered to by the name Osojen (Tadakatsu Osojen) by those closest to him. It refers to his mastery of Sojutsu and his attachement to his favored yari (named Tombogiri) with which he fougt relentlessly.

Osojen translates litterally into "great spear man", and has the feminine equivalent of Osoji (optionally, Osaji, Usoji, and Oseiji).

"PRICELESS great spear man" seems redundant to me, but hey ... not my kid ... :)

Wind Warrior
4th September 2001, 03:00
Thanks a lot for all the help! Osojen seems a very pausible name, and the traduction is very... well, it makes sense.

Thanks a lot to all those who replied. Our fellow karateka will be happy to know the translation.

From the isthmus of Panama. Domo Arigato!

Ariel Meilij / Wind Warrior
fmeilij@psi.net.pa:karatekid

Kyukage
20th September 2001, 06:41
Say ... any news?

What did they end up naming the child?

Wind Warrior
24th September 2001, 01:42
Well, the baby is due any moment now, but no major news for the moment.

Victor, the Dad, recently finished studying in Venezuela and is now a Jr. Lieutenant for the Panama Police. After chasing and punching the living daylights of a thug, he damaged his fist, and is now recovering on leave.

As soon as the baby is born, I'll let you know.

Best regards,

Panama Republic
:karatekid

Kyukage
24th September 2001, 02:07
Originally posted by Wind Warrior
Victor, the Dad, recently finished studying in Venezuela and is now a Jr. Lieutenant for the Panama Police.
Very cool. Please extend my congratulations.

After chasing and punching the living daylights of a thug, he damaged his fist, and is now recovering on leave.
... ouch ...

As soon as the baby is born, I'll let you know.
Thanx ... please do.

kingwoodbudo
24th September 2001, 16:49
I know in japanese Matthew is Mashu-, any name can be translated, maybe not exactly like you think. I was married in japan and i had to write my name in katakana. Basically, all they do is try to match up the sounds in your name to the sounds in their language. So Matthew and Mashu- sound similar, and the last name Smith is Sumisu if i remember correctly. An easy thing to remember is that all foreign words are written in katakana. i'll ask my wife if she can give me a translation.

Congrats on the child. :toast:

Wind Warrior
24th September 2001, 23:37
Kuykage:
Thanks a lot for the comments. I'll let Victor know about them. I am sure he will like the idea of being famous at least on the board! :laugh:

KingWoodBudo:
Thanks a lot for your help and your wife's translation. Victor will appreciate it!
:D

Gotta go practice kizami mae-geri :karatekid

Best regards,

Panama Republic

kingwoodbudo
25th September 2001, 15:12
Antonio Rodoriges ƒAƒ“ƒgƒjƒI?Eƒ?ƒhƒŠƒQƒX

It's funny that the name doesn't really change much when using the romanji :)

A n to ni o Ro do ri ge su (i'm just showing the different sounds in the name, of course you wouldn't seperate it like this :))

The katakana is also included.

kingwoodbudo
25th September 2001, 15:16
sorry, to see the katakana, go to View in the IE browser and choose Encoding, the Japanese (Auto-select). This will refresh your browser to show the katakana. You can do the same for Netscape, but i think you'll be able to figure it out on your own :)

Wind Warrior
26th September 2001, 01:58
KingWoodBudo:

Wow! A Japanese caligraphy and all! This is going to be one great birth!

From the whole TKIC Karate Do Panama dojo, thanks a lot for all the help and support. If this baby (he or she) does not become a Budo fan at age three, I don't know what to think.

Best regards,

Panama / fmeilij@psi.net.pa
:toast:

kingwoodbudo
26th September 2001, 04:33
Windwarrior:

Glad to be of help :)

I want to let you know that the name next to the katakana(japanese calligraphy) is missing a u at the end. If you look at the middle of my explanation of the name, you'll see it's spelled with the U, which is the correct romanization for that name. Just in case you don't understand, here it is again in romanji:

Antonio Rodorigesu

Hoping for a budo fan :)

God bless!!

:wave: