PDA

View Full Version : Traditional Judo Org.(Martial Art)/ Universitites

Barry Southam
3rd September 2001, 17:41
Friends,

I'm not sure if this topic has been discussed in the past...

Are there any traditional martial arts organizations in Japan and Korea that represent and teach Judo as a martial art without including the Kodokan(Japan) ?
ORGANIZTIONS THAT ARE LEGITIMATE !!!!!!
I am aware of :

Dai Nippon Butokukai ( Japan)
Kokusai Budoin ( Japan)

Republic of Korea Yudo Association ( Korea)

Are there any Matial Art Colleges or Universities in Japan or Korea that award academic degrees in the study of Martial Arts ?

I am aware of Yong In Univ.( formerly the Korea Yudo College)
in Korea..

Colleges and Universities that are legitimate!!!!

Take Care

Barry E. Southam

MarkF
4th September 2001, 09:45
There is the International Budo University in Japan. From what I've seen, undergrads and graduate students can major/do a thesis in regards to budo, and is probably like most universities, with academics largely the makeup of the school.

Since it is a university, one may choose a path, research budo as history, and also practice, independantly or as part of the program, what they wish.

Jon Bluming was invited to teach his kyokushin Budo Kai All-round Fighting style there, and it is a pretty eclectic style, with all the burdens and BS of Budo taken down to its basic elements.

Other than that, no other schools except those known, exist which are expressly aimed at all parts of budo. The kosen school[s] also teach something which I've recently been given to me, and changed some of what I thought they did, and is as physically a combative style as I have seen (thanks, Kit).

So as traditional, you mean what exactly? Traditional judo is probably not what most people think. Tradition is steeped heavily in randori and shiai (randori no kata?), so perhaps you meant "original judo" as opposed to tradtional?

If you haven't, check out the Kano Society.org (http://www.kanosociety.org)

I would think the Budokwai and Dicky Bowen are as close to tradition as you can get. The Kano Society's purpose is to maintain an organization which retains all of Judo's traditions, shiai and kata, included, along with that which so many dojo lack, the last of the three schools of judo. Atemi waza, and how it is practiced. John Cornish is the kata coach at the Budokwai and teaches only that.

To be a member, one simply needs two recognized people to recommend you from a recognized judo organization. What they consider now as "recognized" I'm not sure.

Mark

Barry Southam
4th September 2001, 11:24
Mark,

Thanks for your reply...When I said traditional I guess I was saying schools or organizations that teach all areas of Judo and LEAN towards the martial art aspect of JUDO with the sporting side of lesser importance...

Take Care

Barry E. Southam

MarkF
5th September 2001, 07:07
Hi, Barry,
I did misunderstand, I thought you were looking for schools with true application in an academic field, and other organizations which push the martial application.

I had always thought that martial application is foremost in a school which emphasizes kata and Randori No Kata to be the martial applications.

I haven't been pushing contest judo all that much as few want to compete, and because I needed to learn the other side of the street. I've even begun to teach weapons a bit, but only for the defense to them.

But let's see if this school meets your criteria. It is a school with a Kodokan syllabus, intertwined with other striking arts, along with atemi waza of judo, and has a fighting room, if I'm not mistaken, or at least a time for those who wish it, to fight.

Oyama Mas once described the kyokushinkai fighting room as "Imparting wisdom." They go full contact, as does the Beast of Amsterdam, Mr. Tact, also known as Jon Bluming.

This site calls the judo they do Kano jiu jitsu. It is in the UK. One of the teachers is a member here so contact shouldn't be a problem.

http://homepages.webleicester.co.uk/rodgers/kano/Index.htm

Hope this helps a little.

Mark