PDA

View Full Version : Jodo demo at Japanese Festival in St. Louis

Ric Flinn
4th September 2001, 04:35
Just thought I'd share that I saw a nice SMR Jodo demonstration at the Japanese festival at the Missouri Botanical Garden in St. Louis. A group of four individuals performed many two-person kata whilst giving a good explaination of what they were doing and why. I haven't done much more than kihon waza with jo so it was nice to see the kata carried out at full-speed. A good-sized crowd gathered around to watch too.

Of course, the Japanese Garden there is absolutely spectacular...

Ric Flinn

Dojorat
8th September 2001, 18:45
Greetins Ric,

I may be wrong but I believe you were watching Dave Lowry Sensei, Meik Skoss Sensei, Dianne Skoss Sensei and another individual whose identity eludes me. I was aware that these fine Jodoka were planning to do an SMR demonstration in St. Louis in this time frame.

For any of you tuned in and living in the Richmond, Va. area, Meik Skoss Sensei will be giving a Jodo seminar here this coming weekend at Aikido in The Fan. If any of you are interested, drop me a line for details.

Cheers,

Dave Lowry
9th September 2001, 14:19
Dear Mr. Montague,
Nope, twas just me and my three training partners from here in St. Louis. We demonstrate at the Festival every year.

(My favourite Festival memory, by the way, was a conversation I overheard some years back, between a man and his wife who were strolling through the bonsai exhibit. "Yes," he was explaining to the Little Woman, "they worship these trees in Japan. That's why when they charged into battle, they would scream "Bonsaiii!!" I'm not kidding.

I will post presently some comments on the Festival you may find of interest in the "Japanese Traditions" site.

Mr. and Mrs. Skoss, along with Ellis Amdur, England's Harry Cook, and, I am informed, Drs. Friday and Bodiford will all be in St. Louis next month, weekend of the 19th, for a Budo Symposium sponsored by the U. of Missouri, St. Louis.

Cordially,

Henrik Jonsson
9th September 2001, 15:29
Originally posted by Dave Lowry
Mr. and Mrs. Skoss, along with Ellis Amdur, England's Harry Cook, and, I am informed, Drs. Friday and Bodiford will all be in St. Louis next month, weekend of the 19th, for a Budo Symposium sponsored by the U. of Missouri, St. Louis.

I am sure those who are interested and able to go would
love to know more details about this.

Me, I'll beat down my jealousy by practicing my kihon
here in Sweden, doing my best to forget I ever heard
of this magnificent event. :)

I hope you will all enjoy it!

Dojorat
9th September 2001, 17:57
Greetins Henrik,

Sounds to me like a good reason to organize a Budo Symposium in Sweden. Then WE (or at least those unfortunates in St. Louis) can beat our/their jealousy with Whacka Sticks and other implements of destruction.

Cheers,

Joe Kras
9th September 2001, 20:25
For those of you who haven't already heard about the Budo Symposium in St. Louis, it's going to be held on the weekend of October 19, 20, and 21 at the University of Missouri-St. Louis.

Among those presenting will be many that are familiar to those reading this list-Meik Skoss, Ellis Amdur, Dave Lowry, William Bodiford, and Karl Friday.

Please see the listing on this list under "Seminar Announcements", or go directly to the website at
http://www.BudoSymposium.org/ .

Joe Kras
St. Louis, MO