PDA

View Full Version : aikido in ishikawa, japan

Eric Ling
6th September 2001, 05:20
Hi all

I wonder if anyone can help me out here.

I am currently searching for an aikido dojo in Ishikawa-ken, Japan. I have so far round an aikikai-affiliated dojo, the Dobunkan, but have reservations about them. I would be grateful for

1. Any information anybody can give me about the dobunkan, and

2. Any information about other aikido dojo in Ishikawa-ken

Many thanks for your time

Eric

red_fists
6th September 2001, 06:57
Hi Eric.

Not sure if this will help. This Site has a list of Aikikai affiliated Dojo's in Japan:

http://home.att.ne.jp/red/ku/aiki/dojo/dojo_e0.htm

You might need to use a transaltion web-site like "Altavista".

Daniel Lee
6th September 2001, 07:18
Hi Eric,

I was talking with one of your non-native locals the other day about the very same topic. Basically, as far as the local yellow pages, the Hiden magazine and organisations connected to the prefectural budokan are concerned, the aikikai dojos you mention are THE center for aikido in Ishikawa. One dojo at Kanazawa Uni offers some Kashima Shinryu sword, but that is the only deviation I know of. Try Dean (Masaki) for some more info - he's taking aikido down south at present.

All the best,

Daniel Lee

P Goldsbury
6th September 2001, 11:41
To Eric Ling,

Mr Ling,

The list in the web site given by Red Fists coincides with my own information about dojos in Ishikawa.

The dojo at Kanazawa University is affiliated to the Shiseikan Dojo (situated in the Meiji Shrine in Tokyo).

I have links with both dojos/organisations and can give you more information if you e-mail me privately. My address is in my profile.

Yours sincerely,

P A Goldsbury

Batemanb
7th September 2001, 05:37
Peter,

Shigeho Tanaka Sensei runs a dojo at the Meiji shrine, is this the same Shiseikan Dojo?

If it is, he is a very powerful and dynamic Aikidoka, had the pleasure of training with him a couple of months back and would recommend him to anyone. I currently train under with one of his longest serving deshi, if the Sensei of the Kanazawa dojo is anything like Nojima Sensei, then Eric should have nothing to worry about.

:toast:

P Goldsbury
7th September 2001, 13:52
Originally posted by Batemanb
Peter,

Shigeho Tanaka Sensei runs a dojo at the Meiji shrine, is this the same Shiseikan Dojo?

If it is, he is a very powerful and dynamic Aikidoka, had the pleasure of training with him a couple of months back and would recommend him to anyone. I currently train under with one of his longest serving deshi, if the Sensei of the Kanazawa dojo is anything like Nojima Sensei, then Eric should have nothing to worry about.

:toast:

Hello Bryan,

Yes. Tanaka Shigeho Sensei recently retired as Kan-cho of the Shiseikan Dojo and this post is now occupied by Mr Minoru Inaba. In my (private) view, the Shiseikan dojo is a wonderful place to train, with a very good blending of weapons training and taijutsu. My very first aikido teacher (years ago, in the Aikido Golden Age), was one of Tanaka Sensei's students. However, the shihan in the Aikikai Kanazawa dojo is not one of Tanaka sensei's students.

Best regards,

Peter Goldsbury

Eric Ling
12th September 2001, 05:55
Many thanks for your help.

Eric