PDA

View Full Version : Post WWII British Ju-Jutsu History

JamesF
6th September 2001, 19:37
Hi,

I was prompted by a question on a mailing list to start looking into the post WWII history of British Ju-Jutsu.

Things like details on the forming of the WJJF, WKF, UKJJAI, Jikishin etc etc.

Do you know of any sources of info on this subject, or have any info that you'd be willing to share? At the moment it's for personal interest only, maybe eventually a small article on the web or something if I can find anything out.

Thanks for your help.

Regards,

James.
:)

Joseph Svinth
7th September 2001, 10:34
Probably the place to start is by contacting Richard Bowen of the Budokwai. He's doing a history of British judo, and while not interested in jujutsu per se, probably he could point you to people who were. He's not online, but if you write me offline I'll give you his s-mail address.

Meanwhile, for an introduction to British judo, both pre- and postwar, see his article "History," at http://www.budokwai.org/history.htm .

Neil Hawkins
8th September 2001, 07:11
Hhmm, now you're making me think back many years.

The World Jujutsu Federation was formed in 1976 by Robert Clark. I don't have any firm documentation at present (it's in a storage shed 6000kms away) but I am fairly sure that originally there was an organisation called the Jujutsu Federation of Great Britain or something they got a few European members and so Professor Clark created the WJJF.

I think that it was in the early 80's that it expanded, it reached Australia sometime then (I joined in 1983). Clark wrote most of his books in the mid 80's from memory, and drew on various sources for their content. Outside of Europe and Australia the WJJF was not very popular.

One reason is Robert Clark himself (there are questions about his credentials) but mostly it was because there were already some very strong organisations in the US and elsewhere.

I was in the UK in the seventies and remember that Judo was very popular and quite practical, but I don't remember Jujutsu (but I was young then and wasn't really looking) being promoted.

Hope this helps, sorry I can't be more specific. The WJJF have a web site and contact details, they may be willing to send you more information. You can contact them at http://members.aol.com/wjjf523/corporateprofile.index.html, there's not much on their website though.

Regards

Neil

Stevo
9th September 2001, 14:50
I sincerely recommend reading "Beginning Jiu Jitsu Ryoi-Shinto Style" by James G Shortt & Katsuharu Hashimoto. ISBN 901764-426. Printed by G Donald & Co Ltd, Osiers Road, London SW18 1NL, England.

JamesF
9th September 2001, 15:54
Hi Guys,

Thanks for the info.

I've sent a few emails out (WJJF, WKF, BJJA etc) so i'll see what comes back - of i find anything i'll post it up for you. Think i'll come up against a brick wall though. I might be wrong though ;)

I've had the James Shortt book out of the library before and read the history section. Going to re-order it and have another good read (p.s. loved the jump over sword technique!!).

Joe - letter will be posted in the week - thanks!

Cheers,

James.

ghp
9th September 2001, 16:34
James,

You also might wish to contact Graham Noble -- he has done lots of research on "jiu jitsu" in the early 20th century (Tani, Barton, McLaughlin). See one of his articles at http://www.dragon-tsunami.org/Dtimes/Pages/articlee.htm Perhaps his research has extended into the post-WWII period.

I don't know Graham's contact information, but perhaps Harry Cook can liaise for you. Harry can be reached at Seijinkai Organization, 3 Castlehill House, Haltwhistle, NORTHUMBERLAND NE49 0EB ENGLAND (He's still keeping the watch at Hadrian's wall :))

Harry is also the UK contact point for "Dragon Times," the source of the referenced article above.

Cheers,
Guy

Phil Blackburn
13th September 2001, 22:10
Hi, James.

You may wish to visit my group's web site.
I have post the history of British ju jitsu on it,
I have also posted the full history of Scottish Ju Jitsu.

www.jujitsuscotland.supanet.com

Good Luck Phil :

JamesF
15th September 2001, 12:45
Hi,

I'm going to send Graham Noble an email if i can find his address. I've posted Richard Bowen a letter (thanks Joe!).

I'll let you know what, if anything, come back.

I've also got a copy of James Shortt's book coming from the local library - xerox here we come :) Funny, i was reading an old Soldier of Fortune article on British Comando's that mentioned James Shortt - i'll dig out the title and issue etc if anyone's interested.

Thanks for the Scottish Ju Jitsu link. Got some good info, although i'm looking for the history of where the WJJF, BJJA etc style came from.

All good stuff - thanks again.

James.

Neil Hawkins
16th September 2001, 04:13
James Shortt is well known in British CQC circles, and ex-Royal Marine Commando, he was in a group called ICMAG (International Combat Military Advisors Group). I'd like to see the article if you can find it again.

Thanks

Neil

Phil Blackburn
16th September 2001, 20:20
Hi,

Thank you for your reply.

I have some old details some where, I will try to find them out.

However with regards to the BJJA, have you contacted

Keith Blundell of the Lowland Ju Jitsu Association.

He is the son of the late james Blundell, the Founder of the BJJA, back in 1955.

His address is LJJA, 13 Haymans Green,West Derby, Liverpool tel 0151 226 6243.

Regards

Phil::idea:

JamesF
18th September 2001, 14:12
Hi Phil,

Found their website at http://www.jiu-jitsu.freeserve.co.uk/ so i'll drop them a line and see what i come up with.

As ever, anything i find out i'll let all know.

James.
:smash: