PDA

View Full Version : Concentration?

joe yang
7th September 2001, 04:28
Is it me, or is the new generation of students really deficient in concentration? I kind of feel kids who take martial arts in general are slightly above average, even from the start. This is assuming of course they are training of their own free will. Even the slightly overweight, kind of klutzy ones are at least motivated and usually shape up well with a little encouragement. I'm not talking about motivation or ability or even brains. I'm seeing a problem with even the smartest, most naturally talented kids today. They seem to have a really hard time concentrating on the little things. I'm not talking about the kicks and punches. You kind of have to do them right to make them work. Sooner or latter, everyone catches on. I mean the really little things, like where you put your feet, how you hold your guard, make a fist, keeping your mouth shut and your tongue in. I remember when a quick rundown on the hows and whys, the do's and dont's and you could see students making adjustments. Now it seems I can lecture till I'm blue in the face and not make a difference. The only thing that seems to work is stern discipline and push ups. Just a thought.

Henrik Jonsson
7th September 2001, 07:25
Originally posted by joe yang
Is it me, or is the new generation of students really deficient in concentration?

This has, I believe, been going on for 2500 years. Every generation since the ancient greeks has complained about this.

;-) ;-) ;-)

Please pardon the interruption.

joe yang
7th September 2001, 09:49
But I really am seeing a difference in these last 5 years. Sure you always had to instill a little backbone into young students. Today the brightest and the best of them just really seem to be so unfocused. I talked to a couple of veteran elementary school teachers who are noticing the same thing. One of them commented that the classroom these days is getting more and more like special ed, not from special ed kids getting mainstreamed, but from so many regular kids who practically need remedial help on concentration.

kenshorin
10th September 2001, 18:16
Joe -
Maybe you're just getting older and crankier :D
But seriously, I do know what you're talking about. I think its just because people don't discipline kids anymore. Growing up, I always had chores, and that wasn't THAT long ago. Now, I ask kids in my class how many do chores at home, and its the VAST minority. I saw some kids making a mess in the dojo, so I emphasized on them the importance of keeping the place clean and as punishment for making a mess I was going to have them vacuum the carpet. They looked at the vacuum like they had never seen one before, and they DEFINITELY didn't know how to work it, and these kids were nine and ten years old! My parents had me running a vacuum at five!
I think in this politically correct age we grow up in, kids are becoming spoiled little brats who can do no wrong. Ever try telling a parent their kid has a problem? They will tell you how many problems *you* have, because it can't be little Johnny!

Originally posted by joe yang
But I really am seeing a difference in these last 5 years. Sure you always had to instill a little backbone into young students. Today the brightest and the best of them just really seem to be so unfocused. I talked to a couple of veteran elementary school teachers who are noticing the same thing. One of them commented that the classroom these days is getting more and more like special ed, not from special ed kids getting mainstreamed, but from so many regular kids who practically need remedial help on concentration.

Bustillo, A.
11th September 2001, 10:16
...or , perhaps, too much M-TV.
Too much nonsensical video games may have warped their minds.

A. Bustillo
www.Steadytraining.com

sistaninja
12th September 2001, 05:36
It is hard to feel that you are not just and old cranky #$%#@! for talking about this kind of thing, but I find it is not just young kids!

We only teach adults in a very urban setting in the middle of a big city.

I would say that a good third to half of the people who enrol who are under say 25 years of age, have poor to extremely poor concentration and/or fine and gross motor skills.

In fact, there are times when I have wondered whether we need to go back to teaching ball games so they get a chance to learn these things from the ground up! Zig-zag, tag, happy sack etc.

This is not a problem for the naturally sporty and athletic - they have obviously developed their skills regardless.

Rather I am speaking just of the 'average' kind of person who is a little bit brain and a little bit brawn.

I notice they also have very little idea of how to actually take the initiative and come up with their own training regime.

I definitely put this down to them not learning or practicising these skills at school, in the playground etc.

Kevin Meisner
12th September 2001, 10:47
Seems to me part of the problem is that the kids have many more after school activities than they used to, that they are trying to do so many more things at one time that they never get good at anything. The kids in my class want to talk and goof around, and they only want to do training exercises that they think are "fun." While most of them are pretty poor at kata and form based exercises performed in the air and requiring a specific kind of imagination and concentration, our school does a lot of scenario training, as in Model Mugging, where the kids have to face an adult, padded opponent and successfully de-escalate the situation and escape. They love this and do it well. They are also interested and good at learning about the different types of child predators that are out there and how to ID and respond to such a threat. Also, again while their techniques are poor doing kata, when you put gloves and shoes on them and have them kick and hit focus shields and mitts, and also have them help hold the shields and mitts, run exercises and lead kata, those approaches seem to improve their performance. Also, kids love belts. We expanded our belt program for the kids so that for the first 18 months they can test every three months for a new belt IF they work hard and learn the required material. This also helps.

kenshorin
15th September 2001, 15:11
Originally posted by Kevin Meisner
Seems to me part of the problem is that the kids have many more after school activities than they used to, that they are trying to do so many more things at one time that they never get good at anything.

Kevin -
I agree. I also find a trend related to this is that you have more parents nowadays who are living through their kids and are pressuring them in all these activities that they undertake. At my dojo, we have one parent in particular who stands out in this. He has his son doing hockey and soccer on top of karate, and it seems like he's always signing his kid up for some-league-or-another so he can brag about his kid more. He will just randomly start talking to you about how his kid scored the winning goal in this and had a miraculous play in that, and after a while you find yourself sitting there questioning, "and I care why?" That is why I always encourage parents to have their kids choose one or two activities for their kids, and no more. I always tell them, even if the one you decide to drop is karate, you are not gaining any benefit by undertaking too much. Make a commitment to a few things and keep them, rather than making a commitment to a lot of stuff and not keeping any of them.

Kevin Meisner
16th September 2001, 00:34
I totally agree, Ken. I tell parents one or two activities is enough (if they ask me). I even tell them to take the kids out of karate while soccer is going on, etc. It's better to have their full attention while they are with me.

joe yang
16th September 2001, 16:42
My bi-weekly black belt classes started back up, after a summer hiatus. These 2 hour sessions are for instructor training, in technique, coaching and the business end of running a school. I found a general concensus the nature of teaching and training, while ever changing, is presenting a new challenge. A lack of concentration.

The other instructors agree it isn't just the young students, the young adults also seem to have a real problem concentrating and connecting with fine and gross motor skills. This is not to complain.

My concern is being the best instructor I can be. The more we understand a problem, the better we can find solutions. To that end, I am spending more time in class helping and observing our Grand Master. He always seems to know how to get the best out of everyone. I think he sees a problem too. At an age when he should be observing and quiding the senior instructors, he is getting pretty hands on. It shouldn't be a surprise, his approach? Firm, paternal discipline and knuckle push ups. It still works! And I have to say, todays students are capable as ever, they just seem to present a new challenge.