PDA

View Full Version : Speaking of chado...

Dave Lowry
9th September 2001, 17:53
Speaking of chado…
I just finished a marathon session at the Japanese Festival here in St. Louis over the Labour Day weekend. Six tea ceremonies a day for three straight days. My job, for the past ten years or so, is to translate and narrate the action. By Monday afternoon, I’ve ingested enough caffeine to keep me humming like a high-voltage power line in a thunderstorm and enough chagashi to shingle the roof of the tea hut.

What’s fascinating is that, while the majority of the guests (almost none of whom have had exposure to chado), are open to the experience and enjoy the hell out of it, every year we get a few of exactly the same sorts that must be dealt with in the budo from time to time. The Japanophiles. The closet Nihonjin. The romantics who have read “Shogun” or seen “The Karate Kid” and who have expectations of an ethereal, mystical encounter with the profundities of the East. And they are, some of them, mightily peeved at me as the instrument of their disappointment.
Know that vignette about the master who shows the prospective student that the student can’t have his cup of tea filled by the master unless he empties it first? Well, if you want to see that acted out literally, come hang out with me next year.

One I shall never forget was a woman so angry with me she was literally shaking as she approached me after the ceremony was completed and I was standing out beside the tea hut. After informing me I had no business anywhere near tea (principally because I was not Japanese), she castigated me furiously for my cavalier narration of what was, she insisted, a “sacred ceremony.” I asked if she had any training at chado. “No,” she snapped. “But I’ve read A LOT of books about it!” Sound familiar?

For some reason this year, a common theme was a double whammy of racism and sexism. The impressively skilled and highly ranked woman who leads the demonstrations is an issei. About half her assistants are of Japanese ancestry, the rest are haole. Those of us not endowed with epicanthic folds are, I suspect, an irritant to guests wishing to have the unadulterated “Tea Ceremony Experience.” The tea hut is located within a spectacular roji on an island in a vast, 14-acre Japanese kare-sansui garden. It’s just a perfect venue for a Saturday afternoon satori—and then here comes a mabushi-head ketojin to lead them to the hut and do a play-by-play and ruins it all.

My favourite this year was a woman who, after the temae had ended, complained bitterly to one of the tea sensei’s assistants. She resented, she said, the “white male dominance” I represented.
Next day, we had another young woman who demanded to speak to the sensei after demonstrations were completed for the day. Sensei was busy, an assistant told her and offered to help. “Well,” the woman said, “I just wanted to know if there is any way I can do a tea ceremony here without having some white male talking through it.” To her considerable consternation, the assistant said “No,” and walked away.

This year, as always, we had the aikidoka who try to do shikko across the floor of the hut, looking like bulldozers in such a confined space and displaying suki out the whazoo. The karate guys who sit rigidly in seiza, fists on their thighs until it slowly, painfully dawns on them that sitting this way for 30 minutes or so is a whole different ball game than doing it for a few moments before and after class and who gradually succumb to shibireru and end up hunched miserably in o-agura not looking terribly martial at all.

It’s informative and instructive for me to see the baggage some of these people bring into the tea hut, not so different at all from what’s carried into the dojo. Some are so adamant about bringing it along they can’t possibly leave it behind and experience chado unencumbered. Makes me constantly re-evaluate my own baggage and lighten it as often as possible.

Cordially,

Kyukage
9th September 2001, 23:18
You know ... I see this sort of thing at martial tournaments and demonstrations all the time. Spectators telling experienced Kenjutsuka that this-or-that is all wrong. One guy told a friend of mine that his "countenance" wasn't "severe" enough - apparently, he didn't look mad enough at his opponent - didn't give the crowd the impression that he was serious. Somehow - the spectator assured us - this was going to adversely affect our "swordplay". "And it's gonna hurt ticket sales, too. People wanna see a show, you know, not jsut some steel being waved around." I sear he said that.

... wow ...

It amazes me sometimes what a little reading and movie watching will do to a person's perceptions and expectations.

Gil Gillespie
10th September 2001, 02:38
Hi Dave

Beautiful piece (as always) and I'm sorry you had to endure those single-helix dunderheads. Otherwise the setting and event itself sounded memorable.

One question: In assisting a friend edit a piece on the way of tea, my wife (Japanese from Shizuoka) told him that although tea is o-cha and the tea ceremony is cha no yu, the way of tea is actually sado, that chado is a very common mistake that gaijin make in terminology. Is that mistaken or inaccurate?

The budo demonstration up there in late October sounds incredible. I can only dream. I'll be with y'all in spirit.

Jeff Hamacher
11th September 2001, 01:30
Originally posted by Gil Gillespie
One question: In assisting a friend edit a piece on the way of tea, my wife (Japanese from Shizuoka) told him that although tea is o-cha and the tea ceremony is cha no yu, the way of tea is actually sado, that chado is a very common mistake that gaijin make in terminology. Is that mistaken or inaccurate?
my tea teacher variously refers to what we study as o-cha, sado, or cha-no-yu, but most commonly says o-cha. i've also fallen into the habit of just saying "tea" as opposed to "tea ceremony" when i speak about it in english. my impression is that the distinctions in terminology which your wife makes are not so clear cut, and i suspect that many tea teachers use all three terms interchangeably. i don't recall hearing my teacher use the term "chado". having said that, it sounds as though Mr. Lowry is in a better position to answer your question definitively. i have a tea lesson this evening, so perhaps i can nudge the conversation towards this topic.

i quite liked your anecdote regarding "japanophiles", Dave. the thing is, i wonder sometimes if i shouldn't be reading more about this place, much like those same japanophiles do; i fear that my book larnin' is woefully lacking, although i'm having a great time just with the actual "doing".

Soulend
11th September 2001, 14:02
Perhaps the root of the problem that Mr. Lowry mentioned lies with the fact that these people seem to be know-it-alls, as opposed to them being 'Japanophiles'. I'm sure that there are equally annoying 'self-proclaimed experts' that go to dude-ranches or Native American craft shows or dance demonstrations.

I (and Mr. Lowry himself, judging by his books and articles) am fond of many Japanese things and concepts. Not all, but quite a lot. I don't pretend that I'm Japanese or have any staggering knowledge of Japanese philosophy or practices, but I still am, by definition a 'Japanophile', I suppose. I even re-read "Shogun" recently. :)

Dave Lowry
11th September 2001, 23:47
Yep, you’d be amazed at the number of dumb gaijin who stumble on the linguistic loose carpet of sado/chado. First one who comes to mind would be that well known gaikokujin, Sen Soshitsu, current iemoto of the oldest tradition of tea, Urasenke, direct descendant of Sen no Rikyu. Ol’ Soshi is so clueless that—get this—he’s written at least two books in Japanese with the wrong word in the title: Urasenke Chado Kyoka and Urasenke Chado no Oshie, and one in English: Chado, the Japanese Way of Tea. I’ve spoken with the iemoto and heard him mispronounce this word as well, poor thing.

Actually, Mr. Gillespie, this is a conflict between Tokyo-ben and Kinki-ben. Specifically, between Tokyo dialect and the Kyo-fu way of saying things. In Tokyo and some other parts of Japan (maybe Shizuoka; never been there), it’s sado. In Kyoto it is chado. Bein’s as how Kyoto is pretty much the birthplace of the tea ceremony, most of the tea sensei in Japan and in the rest of the world have had training there or had training from Kyoto-based teachers and use “chado”, which is the standard pronunciation within the art.

Tokyo, no matter how sprawling and cosmopolitan, secretly feels inferior to Kyoto—which in turn inwardly knows it is not up to the standards of Nara. Rather like the complexes New Yorkers have about the obvious superiority of Boston—which in turn is humbled by the proximity of the cultural centre of the universe; Salem.

Just as New Yorkers do not understand the basics of making clam chowder and make awkward efforts to pass off that hideous, tomato-based slumgullion as legitimate, so do Tokyo-ites struggle to pretend their pronunciations are the "real thing."

Honja,

Jeff Hamacher
12th September 2001, 01:49
last night my tea teacher steamrolled me with a metric tonne of comments on the "name" for tea ceremony. here is what i was able to distill, bearing in mind that at one point he veered off into a tricky set of anecdotes on Zen that left me scrambling to keep up. i don't posit these comments as absolute truths; rather, they are a report of what my teacher had to say.

in essence, the terms o-cha, cha-no-yu, and sado all "point" to roughly the same thing, but they each represent different components or aspects of tea ceremony. (my teacher mentioned that chado is quite correct, but he did not discuss that term at length. i think that Dave has already given some good insights on that point. neither did he spend much time discussing the term o-cha) a tea teacher expresses their individual perceptions of the purpose of tea by the term they use most frequently.

those who most often use the term sado focus on the philosophical or spiritual component of tea ceremony, most commonly within a Zen "context". they tend to practise and teach tea in a way that can impose a kind of seriousness or rigidity of thought on the process, and in fact it almost becomes more serious and rigid than the proper practice of Zen itself. it isn't "wrong", but it ignores or shuts out a broader vision of tea.

those who most often use the term cha-no-yu focus on the process of learning, teaching, and performing tea ceremonies. this means not simply memorizing the etiquette or steps involved in preparing or drinking the tea, but also how the host must prepare for receiving the guest(s) and focus their mind on doing everything possible to accommodate the guest(s) wants and needs. the danger here is that some who fall in love with the process and develop a very high degree of skill turn their tea into a "party piece". once that happens the spirit of tea is lost and is in fact no longer tea ceremony, because the emphasis has shifted from serving the guest to showing off as the host.

my teacher said that he thinks of tea as cha-no-yu and prefers this vision of tea for a couple of reasons. first, the term cha-no-yu captures the widest possible range of preferences that students or teachers may have for their tea: some most enjoy handling the implements, some most enjoy the conversation and social exchange at chakai, some most enjoy the taste of the tea itself. this "process-oriented" emphasis does not exclude those who do not look to tea for spiritual fulfillment, or perhaps not for such fulfillment as the be-all and end-all of tea. second, by training ourselves rigourously in the process we do not exclude the possibility of attaining spiritual fulfillment; by training, we still walk the Path which is sado.

the practice of Zen involves the Big Enlightenment, but also little enlightenments along the way, as does life itself. steady training in the process of tea brings little enlightenments, and steady is the key word. even once we have polished or honed our craft, we must continue to polish and hone. the polishing involves not only the outward manifestations of tea serving but also the inward attitude or spirit with which the tea is served. by training and experiencing all the "enjoyments" that tea ceremony has to offer we find ourselves walking the Path. in this way, we can appreciate all that tea has to offer in balance.

i'm looking forward to hearing responses.