PDA

View Full Version : Shinto shrine renewal

Gil Gillespie
10th September 2001, 03:24
The roof on my torii gate from 1988 rotted way, so I replaced it and fiberglassed the whole deal. When the final bondo and new vermillion painting are completed, I would like to have some sort of a renewal observance, in the spirit of how the main buildings at Ise Jinja are replaced every 20 years.

Shinto priests being in somewhat short supply in central Florida, does anyone know the basics of a ceremony I may observe, in whatever truncated or secular form it may take?

Elseways when the weather cools and the snakes & skeeters keep their heads down, come an auspicious full moon I'll just "kompai" some sake and do some iai. . .

Yamantaka
10th September 2001, 11:01
Originally posted by Gil Gillespie
Shinto priests being in somewhat short supply in central Florida, does anyone know the basics of a ceremony I may observe, in whatever truncated or secular form it may take?

YAMANTAKA : You asked for it...:cry:
In a secular way (and fundamentalists will scream at it...), you may do this :
- The day before your ceremony, refrain from eating and drinking. In the morning of the day, wash your body and drink a little bit of water, in order to cleanse your body and your spirit of all dirty things;
- Enter the Torii, with bowed head and inside, make a standing salutation, as a sign of respect, and clap hands twice (to invoke the kami or, if you have a religion, as a call to your god or, if you don't have a religion, as a form of concentration);
- Standing, or in seiza, if possible, close your eyes and try to relax your body and your mind, for a few minutes. Later, open your eyes and ask your god ( or gods) to bless your place or, if you have no gods, fill your mind with the idea that your place will be a place of love, understanding and peace.
- Make another salutation, clap twice and do a last salutation. This will represent a reinforcement, in your mind, of the things you wish for your place or, if you are a religious person, will represent a "thank you" to your god or gods.
As you asked...:kiss: