PDA

View Full Version : You who meditate

joe yang
13th September 2001, 02:32
How important is meditation in your training. Do you meditate before you, train? During training? After training? As a way of life?

tcasella
16th September 2001, 13:07
I usually try to before and after training. Before trng I try to think about a technique or concept that has been giving me problems and how to fix it. After trng, I basically "cool-off", if that makes any sense...

DJM
22nd September 2001, 14:21
Joe,
Speaking for myself I don't - generally - link my training to my meditation. Sometimes I meditate after training - and then sometimes on my training. But, in general, my meditation deals with my life as a whole, and my relationship with the universe as a whole...
Regards,
David

luar
18th October 2001, 19:49
I practice Shorinji Kempo and this highly oganized style requires 5 to 10 minute meditation before class starts.

Mostly what I try to do is to empty my mind and forget the day's distractions so that I can focus on my practice.

passions108
31st October 2001, 06:22
My kata is my meditation

joe yang
31st October 2001, 14:04
"My kata is my meditation" Good answer.

Don Cunningham
31st October 2001, 14:07
I've always participated in the before class and after class meditations, but never got much out of them except a chance to catch my breath. Recently, I've started playing the shakuhachi, the bamboo flute of the komoso and probably the hardest musical instrument in the entire world. It takes an incredible level of concentration to play a solid, steady note on this instrument. Now I see why the komoso referred to it as "Blowing Zen." You can not let your mind wander for an instant or you lose the note, especially at the beginner level. A side benefit I've noticed is how this practice has helped me control my breathing when training in martial arts as well. I've noticed a big improvement since taking up the shakuhachi.

Fred Stakem
31st October 2001, 19:42
It depends. At some points I have practiced three days a week
and then gone three monthes without meditating. I mostly
use it to recharge myself and to stop and relax while going
through stressful stages. I look at it as a tool instead of an
end. In my opinion some teachers scare away too many students
(in meditation and ma)by try to teach everyone to be perfect at one skill instead of being perfect people. Don't get me wrong,
it is great to have a lot of skill at meditation but some students
aren't looking for perfection...just a better life.

As far as practice being meditation, I agree 100%. But I would
add, unless doing something very internal like yang taiji I think
you get more out of the experience by only using the mind. Or
at least more for the same amount of time practiced.

Talking about breathing....the yoga shoulder stand is my
favorite. I am surprised more people who practice belly
breathing don't know about this posture. It forces you to
breath from your belly...real interesting...as soon as I
practice this posture I feel myself begin to breath and
relax much deeper....a good posture for quick bit of
meditation.

Fred Stakem

passions108
3rd November 2001, 16:19
My life is my meditation.

Shizen
29th January 2002, 00:40
There are many forms of meditation. There are "zen" type meditations - sitting very still for long periods of time and concentrating, and "active" meditations - like tai chi and yoga.
In martial arts classes, the period of "mokuso" before and after class is usually so brief that there isn't enough time to do more than close your eyes and take one deep breath. In my experience, this has forced me to be as efficient as possible with my meditation in MA training. Before class, I will close my eyes, take a deep breath and try to clear my mind. The point is to forget all the other distractions of the day, so my mind is focused on budo. If times have been hectic and I feel like I may need more mind-clearing to effectively practice in class, then I will arrive early and meditate on my own. Preclass warmup and stretching can be a good opportunity for active meditation. Concentrate fully on the responses of the body and really feel the stretch instead of just going through the motions.
After class, the function of my meditation is to let go of any frustrations that may have developed from not learning certain techniques as well as I hoped. I notice that if I don't properly do this "cleansing" act after class, I will clutter my mind with thoughts like, "why couldn't I do that one kata? It was so easy for others!" or "That one student I practiced with gets on my nerves! I know he means well, but I don't like training with him!" etc.
The whole idea is to use meditation as a way of separating the "dojo experience" from the rest of life, so there isn't any outside interference.
There are many other forms of meditation that can be used outside of class. The buddhists have set meditations to help develop things like compassion, clear thinking, and the like.
I have heard of people using meditation as a sleep-alternative, but I think it requires a particular style of meditation to benefit from this. I think if you are lacking sleep and try to meditate to make up for it and end up falling asleep anyway, then that is probably for the best. :)

Yamantaka
29th January 2002, 11:57
Originally posted by passions108
My life is my meditation.

YAMANTAKA : And E-Budo norms determine that you idenfity yourself to participate in this Forum.
So, please, Passions108, do send your COMPLETE NAME to the List.
Even better put your signature on your profile.
Thank you.:wave:

Anders Pettersson
29th January 2002, 19:47
Originally posted by Yamantaka

YAMANTAKA : And E-Budo norms determine that you idenfity yourself to participate in this Forum.
So, please, Passions108, do send your COMPLETE NAME to the List.
Even better put your signature on your profile.
Thank you.:wave:

Yamantaka, or Ubaldo if I remember right?

Just to make you aware of that your signature is missing, so you should really start signing with your full name yourself, or fix your signature, before you go on others about it. :D

/Anders

Yamantaka
29th January 2002, 20:27
Originally posted by Anders Pettersson
Yamantaka, or Ubaldo if I remember right?

Just to make you aware of that your signature is missing, so you should really start signing with your full name yourself, or fix your signature, before you go on others about it. :D
/Anders

YAMANTAKA : You made me aware, Anders, I believe it happened today, I don't know why. I've always used it. Let me see if I can put it again.
Thank you for your warning.
Ubaldo Castilho de Alcāntara
(P.S. I couldn't get it back. I'll look to see what happened).

meat
29th January 2002, 22:58
Hi guys, I'm alot like Fred when it comes to meditation. I'll be doing it 3-5 nites a week and then go 3 months without doing it. Sometimes its because Im too busy, more often its just coz i get bored with it and would rather do sword practice(which is almost as good in my opinion) or something more rigorous. By far the best way of meditating Ive found is the sport of snowboarding. Much like Don said about the shakuhachi, if you lose your concentration snowboarding on a hard run, kersplat! I suppose you could call it riding zen. I suppose the old zen axiom of enlightenment is right here, right now, is very true. No matter what you are doing, you can make it part of your meditation. just my 2 cents