PDA

View Full Version : Sternoclavicular joint injuries and budo

BC
13th September 2001, 20:40
Can anyone tell me if rolls or breakfalls (such as in aikido) can make one particulary susceptible to sternoclavicular joint injuries or other injuries to areas around the sternum? If yes, then what would be the symptoms (besides pain)? I ask because I know someone who says he has what feels like bone slightly distended on one side of his sternum near the sternoclavicular joint. He is not experiencing any consistent pain or discomfort except some occasional minor discomfort. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Regards.

-Robert Cronin

bungadude
17th September 2001, 22:12
Mr. Bergstrom is right. The person should be evaluated. Rolls improperly performed are notorious for clavicular injury. Sometimes resulting in fracture of the clavicle or injury to the two joints on either end of the clavicle, the ACJ (acromioclavicular joint) or the SCJ (sternoclavicular). Often, corrective mobilizations from Osteopaths, physical therapists, or chiropractors (even some massage therapists) can be very helpful.

The most commom symptom seen in our clinic is pain. Next is a feeling of instability or weakness of the upper extremity. In some cases there are paresthesias (numbness, tingling, weird sensations) down the arm. Sometimes there is chest pain similar to that experienced during heart attack. With the clavicle in the same joint capsule as it attaches to the sternum, is the first rib.

There are times when injury to the cervical spine or the upper ribs can mimic clavicular injury, referring pain into the sternum, chest, or shoulder blade areas, as well as down the arm.

The person really needs to be properly assessed. Hope things go well.