PDA

View Full Version : Judo defeats Terrorist?

Ben_Holmes
14th September 2001, 02:36
Hear of the gentleman who called his wife on a cell phone from one of the terrorist controlled planes? Told his wife that he and several others were going to do something? His name is Mr. Jeremy Glick, and the interesting point is that he was a National Collegiate Judo Champion. Anyone know anything about his Judo? Here's a link to the news story:

http://www.northjersey.com/news/callps200109132.htm

TommyK
14th September 2001, 03:14
Greetings,

As soon as I heard the first reports, from those with cell phones on the doomed planes, that the #!@$@ that hijacked the planes had 'knife-like' weapons, I wondered why no one took them on. Then when I heard of the tragic crash in PA, I knew someone did. I'm glad to see that this hero had the training and gumption to do the right thing. Only his God knows how any lives his actions saved. God bless and rest his soul.

Here in NYC, I and my son have a close friend missing from the Fire Department, and I'm waiting to hear from some members of our Korean Karate school who are members of the Fire Department and who have responded to the tragedy.

Please pray for all those involved in the rescue efforts, all the victims, and their families and especially those on the Fire.

Regards,
TommyK

jimmy o'curry
17th September 2001, 04:40
BTTT for Jeremy Glick, and everybody else . . .

Don Cunningham
17th September 2001, 07:10
I seem to recall Jeremy Glick's name from one of the U.S. Nationals, but only because of the rather unusual name. His apparent decision to resist the terrorists makes me proud to be a judoka. However, we should remember that another caller from the same plane also mentioned plans to overtake the terrorists. He was a rugby player if I heard correctly.

Although we'll probably never know what really happened, I'm sure there were many unsung heros on board that flight, as well as among the rescue workers in NYC and at the Pentagon. Here's to all of them!

[What does "BTTT" mean?]

MarkF
17th September 2001, 08:25
Here is the body of an article concerning Jeremy I received today in email:

In the final moments of United Airlines Flight 93, Jeremy Glick told his wife to take care of their newborn daughter and have a good life because he and a few passengers were going to storm the cockpit to try to prevent a terrorist attack on the nation's capital.

For 30 minutes before the giant airliner, bound for San Francisco from Newark, smashed into a field southeast of Pittsburgh, Glick was on his cellphone talking to his wife, Lyzbeth, at their West Milford home.

As law enforcement authorities, contacted by her father, listened in, Jeremy Glick told his wife that three knife-wielding hijackers on a suicide mission had commandeered the plane and told passengers they were going to crash it as part of a coordinated strike against America.

"He was asking her what was happening with the World Trade towers, 'cause they were saying to everybody this is happening around the country," Glick's sister, Jennifer Glick, said Wednesday during an interview at her parents' Upper Saddle River home.

It was around 10 a.m. Tuesday, and two planes hijacked after leaving Boston had already slammed into the Twin Towers in lower Manhattan.

"I'm not positive where this was targeted but based on what I'm hearing now on the news . . . the plane was headed to either the White House or another target," said Jennifer Glick, 36, an attorney in New York City.

Jeremy Glick, 31, described the hijackers as dark-skinned Middle Eastern men who brandished knives, wore red headbands, and claimed that a red box they carried was a bomb, his sister said. They forced the passengers and crew to the rear of the plane and told them they were going to die.

Jeremy Glick told his wife that he and a few passengers devised a plan to try to stop the terrorists.

"They were going to jump the hijackers. They kept the phone on and apparently they went into the cockpit and they crashed the plane or the plane crashed," Jennifer Glick said. "I don't know how it happened."

Her husband, Doug Hurwitt, said: "He knew that stopping them was going to end all of their lives. But that was my brother-in-law. He was a take-charge guy."

Flight 93 was the only one of the four hijacked planes that did not strike a major target, and some officials said the actions of the passengers may have prevented an even greater tragedy.

Rep. John Murtha of Pennsylvania, the ranking Democrat on the House defense appropriations committee, said at the Pennsylvania crash site that he believes a struggle took place in the cockpit and that the plane was headed for a significant target in Washington, D.C.

"There had to have been a struggle and someone heroically kept the plane from heading to Washington," he said.

Jeremy Glick, who worked in sales and marketing for a technology company, was on a business trip to San Francisco.

The third of six children whose names all start with 'J,' Glick married his junior high school sweetheart and, after trying for a long time to have a child, their daughter, Emerson, was born June 18, Glick's sister said.

"He and Lyz adored each other," Jennifer Glick said, and he "adored his daughter.

Their brother, Jed, 23, agreed.

"He was having a good life," Jed Glick said. "He loved being a father and was just getting used to it. It's sad that she won't get to know him."

Jennifer Glick said her brother loved skiing and water sports and lived life to the fullest.

"He always lived life to the absolute extremes and was always a hero," she said. "[He] was always proud, and would take care of everybody."

He went to Upper Saddle River Day School, graduated from the University of Rochester, and was a national collegiate judo champion.

Jeremy Glick also is survived by his mother, Joan, a Fairview speech teacher, and his father, Lloyd, who works at a technology firm in New York City, as well as brothers Jared and Jonah and sister Joanna.

Jennifer Glick choked back tears as she described her brother's heart-breaking goodbye.

"He told Lyz that she should be happy in her life and take care of Emerson. And to say that he loved us, all his siblings, and his parents and his nephews."

MarkF
17th September 2001, 08:27
I don't know what BTTT means either, but Glick is a pretty common Yiddish (Jewish) name.

Mark