PDA

View Full Version : Addressing the current situation in class

KenpoKev
15th September 2001, 03:06
Greetings,
I teach a fairly large group of children, as well as adults. I will be teaching this coming Tuesday evening (we cancelled last Tuesday's class)

I am interested in how you would approach the training or class management. As many of you know, MA training is a safety valve for many people who deal with aggressive temperments. (I'm one of them) I also am a role model for a large number of kids who do not have a father at home, and they're going to be searching for wisdom, answers, direction, etc.

I do know that I will address the aspect of racism and the avoidance of stereotyping, however there are a number of other items that will need to be addressed.

Those of you who have already dealt with this in class...what was the reaction and direction of the discussion?

Thank you for your consideration of this issue.
Respectfully,

Joseph Svinth
16th September 2001, 08:47
Discuss the need to avoid jumping to conclusions. For example, is there such a thing as "conviction in the media"? (The OJ case comes to mind.)

Discuss the Japanese relocation of WWII. Is such a thing possible today?

Ask if there a difference between defacing mosques, threatening Muslims, etc., and what the Klan used to do.

Finally, what is the nature of revenge? It is, after all, the theme of all those chop-socky flicks.

Tami
16th September 2001, 14:34
From my experience with teaching and raising kids I'd say it depends on the ages of your students. Joe's reply is good, but IMO it applies more to older students who have more knowledge (hopefully) about history than most younger elementary school students. I suggest you talk to some of the parents and see what the students have been hearing at home and at school. Reinforce what is good and dispell the myths and fantasy (like a kid could have saved the day a-la Power Rangers). Help them work on assessing a dangerous situation and when is an appropriate time to react or not. What types of reactions might be appropriate in one situtation but not another. And definately help them see the dangers of stereotyping and judging based only on appearance, ethnicity, etc.

I think those of us in the grown-up world often underestimate children. They are more intellegent and resilient than we give them credit for at times. We also need to be on our own guard as to making off-hand or sarcastic remarks that children (and some adults, for that matter) might misunderstand. Teaching is a big responsibility and shouldn't be taken lightly. Hats off to those who take that responsibility seriously.

Best regards,
Tami

KenpoKev
19th September 2001, 20:27
I spoke about praying for those who grieve and those who are continuing the search. Further that they pray for wisdom for our leaders.

I reminded the classes that the "islam" that the terrorists proclaimed was a twisted version of the faith, and not what the vast majority of Muslim's believe. I discussed the need to recognize that to persecute Arabic neighbors was no better than racism and certainly not something a Christian should do.

Also got 12 new students

Kevin Meisner
22nd September 2001, 03:18
I asked the kids how they were feeling and whether they wanted to talk about anything. I let them talk and added comments as appropriate. I tried to explain some things that they seemed confused about. Fortunately we have a racially diverse class so the students are already used to dealing with such issues...