PDA

View Full Version : Aikijujutsu in Japan

Andrew Brandon
15th September 2001, 09:38
Hello to everyone.

I have just read the archive for this forum, lot's of useful info and some nice links. Now I am relatively inexperienced so forgive my ignorance on certain issues, but as I am in Japan, I should take the opportunity to study Martial Arts. I would like to study Daito-ryu Aiki ju jutsu and am looking for information. I have checked out the major links.

if anyone has useful information - books, videos, websites, or any other resource I would appreciate it.

Andrew Brandon

:wave:

kimjohan
15th September 2001, 21:45
Hello Mr. Brandon.

If you're staying in Tokyo, you have at least 3 possibilities of practicing Daito-ryu.

Daito-ryu Aikijujutsu Mainline
====================
Kondo sensei,
Daito-ryu Aiki Jujutsu Hombu
Higashi Yotsugi 2-10-15, Katsushika-Ku, Tokyo 124,
Mainline's website (http://www.daito-ryu.org)

Daito-ryu Aikijujutsu Roppokai
=====================
Okamoto sensei,
Daito-ryu Aikijujutsu Roppokai Hombu,
Sportscenter, Bunkyo-ku, Otsuka, Tokyo
(Myogadani subway station)
Roppokai's website (http://www.daitoryu-roppokai.org) (Don't forget to click in the middle of the patch!)

Daito-ryu Aikijujutsu Ogawa dojo
=======================
Ogawa sensei (orig. from Kodokai),
Address in japanese at this website (http://www.kt.rim.or.jp/~setu/DAITO3.HTML)

Regarding books and/or videos, take a look at Aikidojournal's catalog (http://www.aikidojournal.com/catalog/category.asp)

Good luck, and hopefuly you will find what you're looking for :)

- Kim Johansen

Jason Carrier
7th May 2002, 20:02
Does any one know if there is a Kodo Kai dojo around Iwakuni, or any Daito Ryu. Iwakuni is located about 40 Km south of Hokkido (SP).

Nathan Scott
15th May 2002, 19:14
Mr. Carrier,

Why don't you simply send a letter of inquiry to the Kodokai Honbu dojo? They are most likely the only people who would know the answer to your question.

Regards,

Jason Carrier
16th May 2002, 14:04
I will but sometime they take awhile to get back too you. However I think that since it has been a week that this will bwe my only choice

Johannes Lundberg
19th August 2002, 07:06
Dear friends in budo,

I have recently moved to Kyoto where I will stay for about two years or so. Back home in Sweden I have mostly been training genadi jujutsu (and a very little aikido, judo and karate), but I have have all times been curious about aikijujutsu (I have participated in a few week-end Takumakai seminars in Stockholm under Umei sensei). I am now looking for a dojo in Kyoto where I can train. I am interested in either mainline daitoryu aikijujutsu (Kondo sensei) or Takumakai, since these two lines are the two I have read most about. So, please, if anyone can help me I would be most grateful!

Greetings from a warm and humid Kyoto,

Johannes

PRehse
19th August 2002, 08:09
The Aikido of Kenji Tomiki is taught at the Kyoto Budokan saturday nights - the Shihan of Shodokan Honbu teaches most times. Not exactly Daito-ryu, its a small group mostly under 25, but perhaps that might also suit you.

It certainly is different from Aikikai.

Rennis
19th August 2002, 16:07
You don't have many choices in Kyoto proper. Last year there was a Westerner teaching a small Daito ryu group in Kyoto which was the only Daito ryu group I was ever aware of. This group was brought up to me in idle conversation with an employee of a budo equipment supply store I know so I forget all the details but I believe he was possibly under the Takumakai. Whether they are still meeting or not I have no idea. Anyways, your best bet would be to catch the train over to Osaka where there are several Daito ryu options, including the Takumakai which is in fact based in Osaka ( Takumakai Website (http://www.asahi-net.or.jp/~DE6S-UMI/) ). If you catch the shinkaisoku trains the trip over to Osaka is only about 15 minutes so I would definately at least go and check them out.

Brently Keen
20th August 2002, 21:46
I'm not sure about Kyoto, but there are Roppokai groups in Osaka and Kobe:

http://www.daitoryu-roppokai.org/contact.htm

Brently Keen

muden
4th July 2004, 04:53
Hi,

This is my first posting
I figured this place was the best place to post this question.

Is There anyone out there practsing (or interested in practising)
ajj in Sapporo, Japan? I've been here ten months and I've only met One other Gaijin doing ajj.

There's gotta be some more of us!

Oisin Bourke
Daito ryu aikijujutsu
Muden Juku
Sapporo

quigleyc
5th July 2005, 22:05
I am about to move to Isesaki, Japan in Gunma prefecture for an extended period of time and would appriciate any information on training opportunities in or around the city. I am interested primarily in Hakko ryu and Daito ryu jujutsu, but I am interested in information about any koryu arts practiced in the area (I noticed an old post from Ellis Amdur mentioning Araki ryu in Isesaki on another thread). Thanks for any information.

Clark Quigley

Steve Delaney
6th July 2005, 05:44
If you're travelling on the Takasaki line or Tobu Isezaki line, you could commute to Omiya and train at the Hakko-ryu headquarters and there could be a few shibu out there in Gunma too.

There is Araki-ryu Kempo, headed by two different instructors in the Isezaki area. Isezaki used to also have Kiraku-ryu, but that is now in Maebashi under the 19th generation headmaster, Iijima Fumio, with a Shibu in Tomioka, under Iwaii Kohaku.

You also have iai. Izezaki iaido renmei (http://www.sunfield.ne.jp/~gekihatu/)

Nathan Scott
7th July 2005, 19:28
Mr. Quigley,

I merged your thread with an existing thread on dojo in Japan, since there are very few requests for dojo in Japan.

BTW, I'm not aware of any Daito-ryu dojo in Gunma-ken, but you never know. The best thing to do would be to contact the headquarters of the DR branches you are interested in and ask them.

I travelled through Gunma-ken in 1998 (Takasaki, Maebashi, etc). Very nice area. E-budo member Bill Jensen trained in Gunma-ken for many years. You might try to contact him through the members list for more info on koyu in that area.

Regards,

kinzei
9th July 2005, 05:22
My sensei studied in Gunma at the Renshinkan dojo under Inoue Sensei. Matsuda Sensei is the headmaster of the school. You might try a web search for the dojo information. (Sorry, I don't have it)

Dankiwi
8th May 2007, 04:29
Hello
My name is Daniel and I'm from NZ. I'm new to E-budo and wish to enquire about dojo's in Osaka. My background is 2 years of Aikido but I have recently learned about Koryu Martial Arts and was hoping to explore further. Any info would be greatl appreciated

Hazuki_47
8th May 2007, 11:39
Hi Daniel,

I am a fellow kiwi who has been based in Osaka for a few years. I do Shorinji Kempo, which is very well represented here in Osaka in terms of places to train and level of teaching. Of course I might be a bit biased, but my recommendtion is to give this a try. It is not a koryu martial art, but has a number of similarities to Aikido.

Where did you train in NZ by the way? What kind of Aikido did you learn?

Regards,

Justin

don
8th May 2007, 20:17
I'm new to E-budo and wish to enquire about dojo's in Osaka. Were I there, I'd look up the Takumakai, the Kansai-based branch of Daito-ryu.

Good luck.

Mateo
9th May 2007, 01:46
Since you are in the aikijujutsu section I would recommend that you look at the Takumakai, Ohgami's Daibukan group and Okabayashi Shogen's Hakuhoryu, all of whom come from the same root teachings of Hisa Takuma, who was the dominant Daito-ryu teacher in the Kansai region.

Tomiki aikido (Shudokan) also has its headquarters in Osaka. Especially of interest to people who enjoy examining the connections between aikido and judo or wish to explore an early pre-war variety of aikido.

There is koryu available in Kansai as well of course. Technically most historians don't classify Daito-ryu as koryu due to the time of provable conception but its techniques are koryu like. :) People who are also very interested in weapons and a historical perspective appreciate koryu.

I trained with Okabayashi Shogen, who also has a few high ranking English speaking students, while I was living in Osaka. (Richard Carlow was a particularly impressive foreign student.) They also practise a modified version of the Itto-ryu sword as taught by Tokimune Takeda, whom Okabayashi also studied under. Good times.

I knew people who were training with the Takumakai where Okabayashi was once one of the senior teachers. They enjoyed their experiences as well under Mori and Kawabe sensei(s).

Nippon Shorinji Kempo is an awesome art as well. The highest ranking foreign practitioner of that art is the director of a big English conversation school who made things easy for people to get work in the chain while they were training in Osaka. Phenomenal puncher.

NSK does not resemble koryu at all but that isn't a bad thing. :) Lots of good things around that aren't koryu.

Nathan Scott
9th May 2007, 02:13
Daniel, you need to sign every post with your full name. This can be set up automatically in your signature option. See User CP above left.

Good luck with your training,

Dankiwi
9th May 2007, 05:47
Thanks for all your replys. Very helpfull stuff.
I have never heard of Shorinji Kempo but will defintely look into it.
I found a couple of videos on YouTube. Interesting the stuff about shiatsu (massage). I trained in what I guess you would call Aikikai style. It was a little bit of a mixture of what my teacher had learned from travelling around.
This was in Hamilton.

Regards
Daniel Gibbs

Hazuki_47
9th May 2007, 10:30
Hi Dan,

It looks like you are getting some good advice here. I don't know if you are going to learn much about any martial art from YouTube though! For Shorinji Kempo your best best is to try the official homepage. (type WSKO into any search engine and it should come up) The massage/healing techniques (correctly called seiho) are not a major part of training and only tend to be covered at higher levels by the way.

Feel free to PM me if you need any more info. I am not from the Waikato, but went to university there so am very familiar with Hamilton by the way!

Regards,

Justin

Mateo
9th May 2007, 11:58
If you are interested in connections between budo and massage Hakkoryu (Not to be confused with Hakuho-ryu) is the only way to go.

The current headmaster is really adept at the healing aspects of the arts.

Hakkoryu also descends from Daito-ryu.

Maybe you should go somewhere like wikipedia to get some basic information about these arts. Lots of good stuff there, easily found.