PDA

View Full Version : Combat KI - Sherry's Shihan Test

Deb_Lee
21st September 2001, 22:13
After reading some of the messages, I thought I'd ask Sherry McGregor her opinion and thoughts about her televised Shihan test. So I did.

She told me that she realized that some thought she passed out at one point, she says she was trying to relax because of a muscle spasm, but notes that if you look carefully you will see her grab Athena with her right hand, which she could not do if she were passed out. She was fine, alert, and she wanted to continue immediately.

Sherry, my friend for many years, is a superior martial artist, and like previously noted, a long-time competitor and champion. I have seen her injured in the past, and had no doubts that she was not injured during her test.

I know this for certain, I witnessed the test (I am the one Soke struck in the show), and I also stayed with Sherry after her test to insure that she was not injured. I can tell you that shortly after that test, we went out with friends where Sherry ate a hearty meal, drank plenty of water, laughed, joked and showed no sign of any external or internal injury.

We even stopped to help out a stranded motorist and Sherry helped push the car.

I also know that she did not bruse. At the urging of others who could not believe their eyes, Sherry did submit to an exam and x-rays. They also confirmed that she was not injured.

I understand that there are many skeptics who find Combat Ki hard to understand, I was one of them. Having studied ki and having experienced it first hand (I have reached Menkyo Kyoshi)

I know it's not a trick or a hoax. It is a gift, empowering to experience, and an ability we all can cultivate within ourselves.

Like all other aspects of martial arts, Combat Ki is not something understood overnight. Only through patient training under expert guidance can anyone learn the skills to master this art.

Many thanks to Juko-Kai and Shihan McGregor for showing me the way.

R. L. Anglen
22nd September 2001, 03:15
I am glad to see this post here, Deb. I am a member of Juko Kai but have not been a very active member since moving 3 years ago. I don't have much to say other then I am glad you are posting here.

bujijar
22nd September 2001, 13:59
:( Why would you want to be deliberitly kicked in the nads?!?! (speaking among juko kai) I mean no disrespect you your art, but I don't think it's good to be kicked in the nads, throat, stomach, ect... I believe Pain is a good indicator that some thing isn't going smoothly. I mean, do you wake up in the morning "Hey guys, let's kick each other in the balls!"? Just wondering.

Take care,
Steven

Don Cunningham
22nd September 2001, 15:03
Looks like the Juko-Kai folks are circling the wagons. Another new person has joined the forum just in time to answer the questions which are so hard for them to respond to here.

While I am sure Deb_Lee is trying to be honest and upfront here, it wouldn't be the first time some Juko-Kai folks have "created" a new persona and login just to bolster their positions.

I noticed another forum moderator has turtled into his shell, claiming abusive questions about his personal and professional ethics. I guess that was the only option left, since there is no good way to explain why no one bothered to conduct even a cursory examination of this woman before subjecting her to another potentially damaging strike. This shows a blantant disregard for safety and a lack of concern for any hidden injury which might have occurred.

I am glad to hear that Sherry is okay and has suffered no long-term ill effects. However, that still doesn't excuse the kind of irresponsible behavior exhibited in the show.

Many thanks to Juko-Kai and Shihan McGregor for showing me the way.
Sounds a lot like a cult here. It reminds me of those selling Amway products.

Deb_Lee
22nd September 2001, 15:09
Hello Mr. Anglen, thank you!

Hello Steven,

You are so right to question the contraversial methods of combat ki. When I first saw Sherry demonstrate this stuff, I thought " My Sensei is a complete lunatic!"

But then I learned I was years away from ever even trying something like that and even then, I never would be required to atempt that level of training. "Whew"

Before I explain why I did try it, I should tell you and everyone else who is asking that NO ONE is required to train in Combat Ki. There are hundreds of Juko-Ki members who do not train this way and they are regarded in good standing by both the Soke and other members. There are many aspects of the martial arts, we don't all train in every aspect.

Again, NO ONE is required to train in Combat Ki

Ok then, why would I let someone kick me like that? I am a certified police officer, not currently active (I have a different job now). While on duty I watched a fellow officer get sucker punched in the gut. It brought him down. Immediately the bad guy was all over him. Lucky for that officer there were more of us around.

Combat Ki training started to make some sense to me after that. Having trained for some years now I honestly am in no hurry (if ever) to go through the master's test, but I am confident that I would not fall to a sucker punch, and that gives me a survivor's edge.

Also, the sensational kicks and punches shown in demonstrations and on television make up a very, very small portion of the actual training.

Hope that helps clear things up some... We're not all totally crazy ;)

Ken Allgeier
22nd September 2001, 16:22
Can any member of the ' juko kai ' state the meaning of the term " soke " here on this thread or any other thread.Please read this post first.

http://204.95.207.136/vbulletin/showthread.php?s=&threadid=4521

ken allgeier

Weed_Jumper
22nd September 2001, 17:41
Thank you Deb for shedding some more light on this subject.

Originally posted by Don Cunningham
Looks like the Juko-Kai folks are circling the wagons. Another new person has joined the forum just in time to answer the questions which are so hard for them to respond to here.

While I am sure Deb_Lee is trying to be honest and upfront here, it wouldn't be the first time some Juko-Kai folks have "created" a new persona and login just to bolster their positions.

Hmmm someone sound a little on the paranoid delusional side here don't they? I could be wrong but thats what it sound like to me.

This shows a blantant disregard for safety and a lack of concern for any hidden injury which [B]might have occurred.

I am glad to hear that Sherry is okay and has suffered no long-term ill effects. However, that still doesn't excuse the kind of irresponsible behavior exhibited in the show.

I doubt that you are concerned for her safety. My guess is you were secretly wishing she was hurt so it would bolster your veiw of Juko Kai. I could be wrong on this as well maybe your not the mean sprited man your postings protray you to be. As for irresponsible behavior, from what i have read there was medical personel there and she was examined before continuing. Even my children understand that tv is edited.

Sounds a lot like a cult here. It reminds me of those selling Amway products

As much as I dislike Amway, They are a legitimate organization, Hmmmm.......

always remember these are just my opinions and everyone has one, some are just more smelly then others.

Remember those you can, do those who can't whine and complain. Any one have some cheese? :)

Tony Sobottka

Don Cunningham
22nd September 2001, 17:50
from what i have read there was medical personel there and she was examined before continuing.
There may well have been some EMTs and a MD in attendance. Watch the show, though, and you'd see that none examined her.

I doubt that you are concerned for her safety. My guess is you were secretly wishing she was hurt so it would bolster your veiw of Juko Kai.
You obviously do not know me or what kind of person I am. I would never want someone to be hurt just to support my position. Based on some of the physical threats I've received from Rod and other Juko-Kai members, though, I guess they don't have the same views.

As much as I dislike Amway, They are a legitimate organization, Hmmmm....
So I guess Juko-Kai and Amway have the same target audience and demographics.

Tony,

You really should try to find out information before you comment without any understanding. It only shows what a disregard the Juko-Kai folks have for the facts.