PDA

View Full Version : 50 and Injured

TommyK
25th September 2001, 18:11
Greetings,

I am a practicioner of Chi Do Kwan Korean Karate, known in some circles as 'Shotokan Lite', and have had recent surgery on my right Rotator Cuff.

My question is:

Are there any long time MA's out there over 50, who have had 2 tendons reattached surgically? If so, can they share their experiences with me and offer any advice?

Thank you,
Regards,
TommyK

R. L. Anglen
25th September 2001, 20:44
I had an instructor from 1974-1980 who taught Shito ryu and Jujutsu. About a year after we parted ways he took up the study of Aikijutsu. After a few years of training he was asked to help in a demonstration to a law enforcement agency. He was one of the students who got to play the part of uke("receiver" - receiver of punishment perhaps...LOL).

Due to a number of reasons (everyone being a bit too exited about the demo and being eager to impress, trying to look good by going all out etc) he was locked in a Sankyo and thrown by the Sankyo, and things didn't go well. He tore the short head of his biceps completely loose from its origin near the shoulder, tore his teres minor muscle(of the rotator cuff) completely loose and partially tore a couple of other rotator cuff muscles. He was about 35 at the time.

He went to the MD who told him to have surgery. My friend ignored him the best he could. The pain went away for the most part after a few months and he went back to training, but oddly the arm did not work quite right. When he tried to punch face it usually only got solar plexus high. So finally he consented and got the surgery. The doctor told him it would be a quick convelescence and he would be back to activity shortly.

Well it took about 3 months before he could do much more then comb his hair. It was a year after the surgery before he was using it freely. That was sometime around 1983-1984. He was frustrated at the time, but after about a year (which included weight lifting) it was essentially as good as new. He still practices martial arts today. I watched him as recently as 3 years ago doing a full work out - punches, throws, locks etc - and he shows no signs of ever having the injury. He also does not mention any pain or dysfunction - which I know he would mention if he had it.

This is only one person I know of, and the short of it is - it was a fairly long recovery (about a year) but for the past 6 or 7 years it has been as good as new.

I am also going to shoot you a private message about one other suggestion.