PDA

View Full Version : Your workout

PHILBERT
25th September 2001, 22:26
I was over at another site and they were discussing what they work on each time they work out. What do you guys do each time you work out? And how often do you work out? Maybe you can give advice to each other on training.

5 minutes of stretching
25 push ups (I put my legs on a bench)
10 minutes cardiovascular machine
25 pushups (on the ground)
25 pushups (on the ground)
25 pushups (put my legs on the benc)
10 minutes trunk twists with poll
25 push ups (put my legs on the bench, focus on triceps here)
50-75 presses for my lower back (100 lb.)
25 push ups (same as last 25)
25 ab crunches (machine setting 100 lb.)
25 push ups (legs on bench, knuckles)
15 shoulder press (for shoulders and triceps)
15 bar pull down (100 lb.)
15 bar pull down (100 lb.) (I switch my arms around the second time.)
15 rowing (pull back on the bar, 100 lb.)
15 leg presses (200 lb.)
25 ab cruches (100 lb.)

I do this Monday-Friday (sometimes Saturday) takes me about an hour and a half to complete the full exercise. I then go home and drink 2 protein drinks (I actually mix them into one) Very tasty (Yes, it actually has flavor!). So whats your workout?

Scott Rehark

SevenStar
1st October 2001, 06:13
Here is my tues/thurs/sat routine

100 pushups
180 iron buffalos
stance training - as long as I can hold them
forms - 5 - 10 times each
technique drills - 3 times each
hindu squats - 100 reps
monkey jacks - 60 reps
shifting - 20 - 30 mins
squats

on mon/wed/fri

Bench press
militarty press
bicep curls
close grip bench press
lat pulldowns

in addition to attending class on mon/wed/fri for 3 hours

NoMan
1st October 2001, 09:16
Hmm.... depends on my cycle really. Right now I do sprint and "grass drills" for endurance, leaning towards the glycolytic side. For my anaerobic training, it looks like this, (hope this comes out right.) I use dumbbells wherever possible in training, simply because I feel the motion is more natural than completely linear. Though most guys wait 2-3 minutes between sets, I usually only rest a max of 2 minutes. I usually try to get out of the gym in under an hour. I repeat this schedule again Thursday-Saturday. Here's my schedule, (currently).

Monday

Exercise: ___ Reps: ___ Sets:

Dumbbell Bench Press ___ 8-12 ___ 2-4
Dumbbell incline presses ___ 8-12 ___ 2-4
Dumbbell Military Press ___ 8-12 ___ 3-4
Triceps Press-down ___ 8-12 ___ 2-4
Triceps Kickbacks ___ 8-12 ___ 2-4
Wrist Roller Exercises ___ N/A ___ 1-2
Grip Exercises ___ N/A ___ 1
Forearm Curls ___ N/A ___ 2-3
Reverse Forearm Curls ___ N/A ___ 2-3

Tuesday

Squats ___ 8-12 ___ 2-4
Leg Press ___ 8-12 ___ 2-4
Anterior Calf Raises ___ 8-12 ___ 2-4
Donkey Calf Raises ___ 8-12 ___ 2-3
Sitting Calf Raises ___ 8-12 ___ 2-3
Leg raises ___ N/A ___ 2-3
Ab crunches ___ N/A ___ 2-3
Weighted Russian Twists ___ 15-20 ___ 2-3

Wednesday

Barbell Rows ___ 8-12 ___ 2-4
Front Lat Pulldowns ___ 8-12 ___ 2-4
Deadlifts ___ 10-15 ___ 2-4
Clean and Jerk ___ 10-15 ___ 2-4
Hyperextensions ___ 8-12 ___ 1-2
Reverse Flyes ___ 8-12 ___ 2-4
Neck Stretches and Exercises ___ N/A ___ 1-2

shinbushi
1st October 2001, 18:12
I lift HEAVY 3 or four times a week. Do cardio (usually bag work) 4 times a week. If I miss a day of lifting I do the following routine
HINDU PUSH-UPS: 50
Dolphins (from yoga): 50
PULL-UPS: 4 SETS OF 7-10.
DIPS: 4 SETS OF 7-10.
HACK SQUATS: 4 SETS OF 25
Jumping HACK SQUATS 4 SETS OF 25
LUNGE PUNCHES:4 SETS OF 20

CRUNCHES: 20
SIDE CRUNCHES: 20
SIT AND TUCKS: 10
SIT AND TUCKS EA/CHEEK: 10
V-UPS: 10
FLUTTER KICKS: 25
FEET UP: 10

Kevin73
2nd October 2001, 05:34
I would be curious as to what "Iron Buffalos" and "monkey jacks" are, I am always looking for new exercises to incorporate into my training. thanks in advance

SevenStar
3rd October 2001, 05:02
You may have heard of dive bomber pushups or hindu pushups. Iron buffalos are the same. there are plenty of sites on the net that explain how to do them. Monkey Jacks are like frog jumps, only you wave your arms out while you are rising.

I'll find some links with pics on how to do hindu pushups and post them here.

luihu
3rd October 2001, 11:33
Hi Scott
Because my english isn´t so good that I could explain my daily exercises, I just want to mention something about resting and dietary supplements.

I don´t want to patronize anybody, cos I am not in that kind of position, but my opinion, which is about the same as modern "scientifical" view, is that you should not train everyday hardly and with same routine. You should do different things each day in periods of 3 or 4 days, rest a day and start over again. Each day you should concentrete to some areas of your body, for example in first day you do chest and hands, second day includes your back and belly, and third day is for legs. This is very simplificied idea, but by reading something about bodybuilding, you can get much clearer view.

What goes to protein drinks etc, it is good that you drink one after your workout, because it helps you to recover. Good recovering drink may contain 30g of protein (whey or soy, whatever you prefer, whey gets digested faster), 20-30g maltodecstrin, and one spoon of dextrose all mixed together in water etc. All other products are, in one line of thinking, extras.

But, if you want to get bigger and maybe recover faster you should think of consuming protein drinks more often and not 2-in-1 packages. Everyday you should eat protein 2,5 times your weight in grams. Example: I weight 75kg, so my optimum amount of protein is 75g*2,5=187,5g. That amount includes everything I consume during a day (meat, beans and all products containing protein).

If you consider starting a diet, you should remember estimate the amount of energy you use. If you forget this and just keep eating lot of meat thinking that, "hey, it has lot of protein in it" you end up being fat, which would be unfortunate.

Have fun!
József Pap

PHILBERT
4th October 2001, 21:12
"...is that you should not train everyday hardly and with same routine."

The Russian weight lifting team works out 8 times a week on the same muscles. That is once a day, and on one day, twice. Or it is Monday-Thursday twice, with 3 days to rest. Not sure there schedule (read about this.)

But, if you want to get bigger and maybe recover faster you should think of consuming protein drinks more often"

I consume alot of protein a day, with fruits, vegetables, milk, and protein drinks.

"...you forget this and just keep eating lot of meat thinking that, "hey, it has lot of protein in it" you end up being fat, which would be unfortunate

I have an incredibly fast metabolism. I have had some girls envy me, because I eat what I want and don't gain weight. So I take some, just SOME weight gainers (I haven't taken any for several days. Need to get some more.)

Thanks for the advise. I will keep that in mind though.

Scott Rehark

Colin
5th October 2001, 09:33
Recovery time depends on the training that you do. For example if you do 1 rep max type training you will need more recovery time than when you have been training at 8-10 rep cycles. This is because max weight is taxing to the central nervous system, this takes longer to recover than your muscles. All properly designed training schedules have recovery periods, these will occur in micro, and macro cycles through out the schedule. recovery is important as this is the time that you gain the benefit from the training.

Protein is important, but I would be surprised if you were not already getting plenty. As a general rule 1-1.2 grams per kilogram of body weight of protein for endurance type sport, and 1.3-1.6 grams per kilogram for power athletes. Overloading on protein will only cause the body to get rid of the un-used protein. Unlike carbs and fats, protein contains a waste component ( nitrogen ) that the body must eliminate and excrete. The chemical conversion uses calcium for the neutralisation process, this may decrease the body's stores. Also high protein diets make the kidneys work hard, this can be a contributing factor in them failing.

Cheers
Colin Linz

Zoyashi
5th October 2001, 16:28
Dang, we all love push ups!
I don't have one single workout . I try to workout every day, so I've got to have a couple different programs to keep things fresh. My ideal weekly schedual looks a bit like this:
Monday: Lift weights for 45 minutes, hard run for 15-30 minutes.
Tuesday: Heavy bag workout 45 minutes, jump rope 10 minutes, Ju Jitsu practice 90 minutes.
Wednesday: Combat mid-week blahs - Lift for 40 minutes, run for 10 minutes, 90 minutes Ju- jitsu class.
Thursday: Heavy bag for 30-45, Ju-jitsu class 90 minutes.
Friday: Lift 40 minutes, run 10 minutes.
Saturday: Heavy bag 45-60 minutes; 90 minute Ju-jitsu class.
Sunday: Run or heavy bag.
In addition I try to squeeze in other exercises - sets of push-ups and crunches, mostly, and at least ten minutes basic techniques (kihon). And sometimes I substitute footwork drills or kata for my heavy bag workout.
In all seriousness, I found that the best peice of exercize equipment I've ever used is a calendar - better than weights, heavybag, or the ab roller. All of a sudden it's impossible to cheat yourself - you know exactly how long you've exercized, what you've worked on, and how long it's been since you covered something.
I highly, highly recommend it.

Josh Gepner