PDA

View Full Version : Sampo Toku

Yamantaka
27th September 2001, 20:40
Hello!

Does anyone knows about a Kodokan man in Japan on the first decades of the XX century? His name was SAMPO TOKU and he seems to have had quite a lot of fame in his time.
Hoping to get some information
:look:

Yamantaka
28th September 2001, 22:19
Hello, Mark!

Do you have any information about SAMPO TOKU? He was considered, in the first half of last century, to be one of the ten best men of the Kodokan, almost equal to the famous KYUZO MIFUNE?
Can you give me some light? :wave:
Best

Yamantaka
29th September 2001, 13:33
Dear Mark San and anyone else,

By the way...
This judoka is cited also by the name of TOKUSANPO and said to be the first teacher of judo of Minoru Mochizuki of Aikido fame.
His dojo was called the Kendokan Dojo and he was considered, in his time, to be on the aproximate level of Kyuzo Mifune Sensei.
Needing help

MarkF
4th October 2001, 07:11
Here are some other possible names, which Yamantaka sent me:

SANPO TOKU, TOKUSANPO, TOKU SAMBO or SAMBO TOKU.

I've tried and don't have anything on him, but someone here must know something.

C'mon you people. I know someone out there must know. Brian Griffin, Ben Holmes, Someone from Judo-L?

Any judoka who do aikido and vice versa? Mochizuki is well known enough for someone to do some research on someone who apparently was on the same ground as Kyuzo Mifune (two inches above ground, anyway)?

Mark

PS: Ubaldo, I finally replied to your message and my new email is here, but just in case, it is m_feigenbaum@msn.com
(If you are typing it in the browser, there is an underscore between the first letter and the second.)

efb8th
11th October 2001, 16:35
Hi, All.

When I searched "Sanpo Toku judo" on lycos, I came up with a French site that linked "Sanpo Toku" and Oshima (of Yokoyama & Oshima's JUDO fame) as teachers of Minoru MOCHIZUKI of Yoseikan ryu.

Maybe that will help.

Good luck.

Yamantaka
11th October 2001, 20:00
Originally posted by efb8th
Hi, All.
When I searched "Sanpo Toku judo" on lycos, I came up with a French site that linked "Sanpo Toku" and Oshima (of Yokoyama & Oshima's JUDO fame) as teachers of Minoru MOCHIZUKI of Yoseikan ryu.
Maybe that will help.
Good luck.

YAMANTAKA : Thank you, Ed!
Through all the Web, that's all the information we got. There's a big, BIG, black hole about judo's formative years (End of XIX Century and beginning of XX century) and almost no information about the first judoka.
I give up.
Anyway, thanks again for your effort :wave:

MarkF
12th October 2001, 07:56
I think all martial arts have these type of holes in them at some point of their existence, and judo, being over a centruy old (and more if you consider Kito/jikishin's study using "Ran" as its focal point), they will be there. It is much like trying to find certain blank areas of the family tree, or finding out you were completley wrong in the first place.

The only truly-verifiable quotes by Kano are very few in numbers. Sure, some make more out of what he really meant when he meant no more than what he said, but then that is what keeps it interesting, isn't it?

Mark

Yamantaka
12th October 2001, 11:54
Originally posted by MarkF
I think all martial arts have these type of holes in them at some point of their existence, and judo, being over a centruy old (and more if you consider Kito/jikishin's study using "Ran" as its focal point), they will be there. It is much like trying to find certain blank areas of the family tree, or finding out you were completley wrong in the first place.
The only truly-verifiable quotes by Kano are very few in numbers. Sure, some make more out of what he really meant when he meant no more than what he said, but then that is what keeps it interesting, isn't it?
Mark

YAMANTAKA : Yes, I guess you're right, Mark San. But it's really a pity...
Best :toast:

efb8th
17th October 2001, 04:16
Hi, All.

I searched Sampo Toku under Netscape and found that another "Shinan" claimed him as a judo teacher from the KDN from whom he earned his 4d in one year. The study year in question was 1930, so he seems to have had some staying power. (Mark, "KDN" is the proper abbreviation; Murata Sensei signs his emails using it.)

Regards,

MarkF
17th October 2001, 09:00
Ed,
I know, I've received email from him in the past. So I must have a typo somewhere?

Mark

In fact, I got one in which the subject was "Hello, from the man at the KDN."

He probably uses it a lot.