PDA

View Full Version : No other like it

yiyo
28th September 2001, 02:48
Kenkojuku karate-do shotokan

28th September 2001, 04:25
What's the difference betwwen this and other Shotokan schools of thought?
Bryan Seer

Jussi Häkkinen
28th September 2001, 16:13
Since it is its own branch of the style it has to have at least something unique...well, then the claim "no other like it" can be true if we really nitpick.

However, I'd like to know what makes it so unique. Please, let some light into our darkness.

Bustillo, A.
28th September 2001, 20:17
Kenkojuku Shotokan is the school of Tomosaburo Okano. It was founded in 1941. It has strong influence from Yoshitaka Funaloshi's training methods.

JKa vs Kenkojuku
Technique
JKA's Back stance is long, rear foot points out to the side.
Kenkojuku's Back stance is shorter and the rear foot is turned inward.

Shuto-uke , Knife hand block.
JkA. Lead arm is extended out and away from the body.
kenkojuku's knife hand block the lead arm is tucked in close and the elbow postioned one fist away from the ribs.

Training method.
In general, the emphasis in Kenkojuku was not directed for point tournament fighting. So, the sparring was more of a contiouous flow without the constant resetting to see who tagged who first. In one school I attended, a night did not go by without some type of tai-sabaki drills. And, it wasn't the cooperation partner training of some schools. If you didn't sidestep fast enough, you were hit hard.

Perhaps some of you remember Toyotaro Miyazaki. He was from Tomosaburo Okano's Kenkojuku school.
Fred Hamilton also taught the method.

Antonio Bustillo

J.Fundora
28th September 2001, 20:25
Mr Bustilo

You are 100% on you statement.

Jose Fundora

29th September 2001, 01:41
Yeah, it sounds like you are learning good Karate. Glad to see there are some modern practitioners of Japanese Karate that are training this way. Thanks for the explanation. Happy training!
Bryan Seer

hector gomez
29th September 2001, 08:31
Great basic foundation!

Bustillo, A.
29th September 2001, 18:00
To Mr. R. Rousselet,

Yes it should read Funakoshi.

When describing Kenkojuku Shotokan, I used the examples of a basic stance and a basic block.

1)The knife hand block or Shuto uke in Japanese.

2)The back stance, or Kokutsu dachi.

I said the Kenkojuku back stance was shorter and with the rear foot turned inward it is different than the JKA version back stance. You said I was describing a standard 'nekko ashi dachi.' Not so.
Nekko ashi dachi is a 'cat stance' . I made no mention of it.

In 'nekko ashi dachi' the feet are positioned approximately one foot length apart with the heel of the lead foot raised high off the ground and it has little resemblance of a JkA or kenkojuku back stance.

I don't think that the original post was worried about what is pure Shotokan. I don't think there is such a thing.

Nonetheless, an un-JkA-ed version of Shotokan. Indeed.

Antonio Bustillo
www.Steadytraining.com

yiyo
30th September 2001, 02:51
Yes, its good karate-do, not pure shotokan. After having visited and trained with others you can appreciate the basic foundations that Kenkojuku preached. As Mr. Hector Gomez clearly decribes it, as "great basic foundation". Analyzing and having talked to other Kenkojuku karatekas, I see the distinction and success that they have had in the martial arts.
Mr. Bustillo brings up a couple of good points and variations on Kenkojuku vs. JKA. I feel that we all look back at those GOOD basics that were instilled upon us, at one time or another, and realize how fortunate were to be able to have had learned it this way. I bring this up because I'm sure that we have all fiddled with other types of martial arts (judo, BJJ, kickboxing, MB, etc) and those basics has made us better.

Bustillo, A.
30th September 2001, 12:27
Robert Rousseleot,

No problem.
I had no doubt you knew the differences. I elaborated on what I meant about the 'Back stance' for the sake of the other readers to make sure no one else made quick assumptions.

And, I must agree with you. You stated that there isn't much difference between the Shotokan groups. When we look around at some of the other arts that claim they are so different from similiar arts. Prime example, the pressure point techniques of George Dillman and the Oyata group. I don't see soooo much difference. Therefore, I agree with you.

Antonio Bustillo
www.SteadyTraining.com

Bustillo, A.
30th September 2001, 14:16
Robert Rousselot,

No need for us to go in another direction now. Remember, this thread is on Kenkojuku.

Kenkojuku shotokan is a style of karate that I, at one time, practiced. It was a style I studied for 10 years. Therefore, a style of karate I can comment on with some authority. Did you study kenkojuku for 10 yeras.?
When I mentioned Dillman and Oyata, I simply made the same generalization you did about Shotokan groups.

I don't practice the pressure point stuff. Thus, I admit my view of it has as much worth as your assumptions of Kenkojuku.

Getting back to the topic.

I am interested to hear other peoples perspective on Tomosaburo Okano. Firsthand accounts please.
For example; when he visited the US, memorable experiences you had with him and what impressed you the most about the founder of kenlojuku.

Anything on current and former instructors who trained in Kenkojuku would be interesting.

Antonio Bustillo
www.SteadyTraining.com

Bustillo, A.
30th September 2001, 14:58
Robert R.

No malice intended, I know you have firsthand knowledge of the names I mentioned. I used them an as analogy...it was just an example. No meed to make a case of it.

And, there is one thing I forgot to clear up. On one of your previous messages you reaffirmed the name Funakoshi --I had made a typo, Instead of an k' there was an 'l'--

Nevertheless, I was referring to Gichin's son, Yoshitaka. aka Gigo.

Again, you gotta throw that bit in there that you are in japan.
Wonderful.

But, Robert, seeing, talking, theorizing, and actually doing are worlds apart. No matter where you live.

In most parts of the world, firsthand experience usaually counts just a little tiny bit more'.

A. Bustillo

hector gomez
30th September 2001, 16:50
ROBERT

I know you like to stick to the facts,But IMHO,and everyone
else on this planet, ernesto hoost or peter aerts would probably
win any 4lb metal helmet contact tournament in the world,using
the so called martial sport techniques that you despise so much.

Since you know everyone in japan ,looking them up should be no
problem.

YIYO
Excellent thread, I remember master okano visiting south fla in the summer
of 78,he gave an excellent demonstration on kata and iado.

toyotaro miyazaki was another excellent instructor and competitor
who impressed me with his excellent speed and technique.

Hector Gomez

Bustillo, A.
30th September 2001, 21:49
Robert Rousselot,

It is obvious that it is not me who is getting upset. I have commented by giving examples. Apparently, somewhere along the line I struck a nerve, or pressure point, on you. I have not thrown personal insults. On the other hand you have called me a troll twice. The first, I ignored.
I see you go all over this forum and state your opinion on everything. I don't. On this thread you made a couple of generalizations.

Futhermore, you made a comment alluding to the fact that you can make authoritive statements on a particular topic because you live Japan.
There are Japanese who live in the US. I don't care how long a Japanese lived here, and even if they studied at a proffesional cooking school, I wouldn't automatically use their recipe for grits, meatloaf, apple pie or fried chicken. Even if it was the 'Iron Chef. Capiche?
Listen Robert, I live in Florida. Your are not impressed. I don't blame you. You live in Japan. So what. We're even. Shall we move on.

Now, again, back to the topic...
You asked about mawashi geri and Yoshitaka. I heard the same thing.

The original title of this thread, '...No other like it...'
Hector mentioned Toyotaro Miyazaki who was a student of Okano. Miyazaki is a recognized figure because he tested his skills against the top men in the US during the late 60's, early 70's, and then again during the 80's. And , he was successful.
To date, few Japanese instructors from traditional Shotokan have been so versatile.

A. Bustillo

hector gomez
1st October 2001, 14:47
KENKOJUKO BEACH TRAINING

Back in the mid 70s Mr.sugimoto use to organize beach training
for all kenkojuko branch schools in miami.
This was usually done once a year at a beach called virginia beach,
at the time it had a reputation for being called lovers beach ,among others things,because of its seclusion compared to other heavy populated beaches,this was perfect for training,when we showed
up at the beach, all wearing our karate uniforms ,I remember
the strange stares, among the beachgoers,most were probably
just curious as to what so many people dressed up in white
pajamas ,were doing so early in the morning at the beach.

This was really a lot of fun,because aside from the interschool tournaments, it was a time of the year ,when all branch schools
got together ,and had a great workout with a lot of friends.

the morning workouts would begin with usual warmups followed
by basics ,and kata,there was something about training in the sand,
and being close to nature, that was special and exilirating.

Kumite or one step sparring was usualy done in the water with
both persons facing each other in knee to thigh high water,this
would make kicking and moving just a little more interesting.

the best was definitly left for the end ,Mr. sugimoto would line us up
by teams,then he would proceed to hang cantelopes from trees
suspended by ropes in front of each team.the object of the game
was to hit the cantelope blindfolded as your team instructed you
were it was.

To this day i value the experience of training outdoors and being
close to nature ,as a way of changing the usual routine and adding
a little excitment to my workouts.

PS.Be easy on me guys ,i just felt compelled to tell my little story
and no i dont train in my white gi on the beach anymore.

Hector Gomez

hector gomez
1st October 2001, 15:16
ROBERT ROUSELEOT

Robert i know we got off on the the wrong foot,but for
me its really water under the bridge,i am really looking foward
to your opinion and experience on certain topics:wave:

HectorGomez

Bustillo, A.
1st October 2001, 17:29
I remember attending a couple of the beach training seesions. I think as teenagers what we liked most about the special seesions was the change, the fun of training outside the dojo and going to the scenic beach. There is definitely something special about training outdoors. As a mattar of fact, I remember, while I was in Kenkojuku, every so often and for no special reason we'd go out in the backyard of the building to train.

Nowadays, I find training in the park, minus my gi, beneficial.

Antonio Bustillo
www.Steadytraining.com

yiyo
2nd October 2001, 04:24
It was back in 1979. Our instructor told us that we would have a visitor from the Kenkojuku organization with us for a week of training and motivation (OK, it sounds good to me). That was, TOYOTARO MIYAZAKI. At that time, I was young and ignorant and I did not know much of him. Thank you Mr. Bustillo for bringing up his name up. As a young lad, I experienced some of best karate-do I have ever seen. As you probably know, at one point of your martial arts tenure and/or career, there is one karateka that stands out in the back of your mind as the best you have ever seen and to me it was Sensei Miyazaki. He had the best kicks, the best techiques, the best katas, the best movements. Everthing was crisp and perfect. Wow.!!

yiyo
2nd October 2001, 04:45
How about going to the Palm Springs Mall in Hialeah (a Kenkojuku favorite) and doing a 1 hour seminar there impressing the hell out of every spectator. As a teenager, these were definitely good times with alot of adrenilan. There was this one excellent karateka (long-haired) by the name of Dennis Z that would always steal the show with his excellent showing. And, yes, how can I not forget those beach training at Virginia Beach. (not any more)

Bustillo, A.
2nd October 2001, 12:58
Yes, Toyotaro Miyazaki was superb.
One of the things I liked about him was his calm demeanor.

There is another karateka, Takeshi Akuzawa, who is considered T. Okano's best student. Mr. Akuzawa arrived in the U.S. during the early 60's and taught in Memphis for several years before relocating to Coral Gables , Florida.

Latest update on Kenkojuku.....

Kenkojuku's 60th anniversary was in September. Several instuctors traveled to the Tokyo honbu for the celebration.

Antonio Bustillo
www.SteadyTraining.com

Ken Allgeier
4th October 2001, 05:04
Yoshitaka Funakoshi was instrumental in developing the roundhouse kick ( mawashi geri) and the side kick ( yoko-geri ) and the fudo dachi ( rooted stance )and the importance of useing the whole body in a coordinated method along with the importance of relaxation( Layton; pg 26 ).

The development of the J.K.A style of Shotokan Karate can be traced to the type of Karate that was/is taught and practiced at Takushoku University ( Cook ; Shotokan A Percise History )

As someone who trains in the J.K.A style of Shotokan ( also in Okinawan Goju Ryu: Shobukan ) I place my elbow one fist away from my body when I execute a shuto-uke ( knife hand block ) ,focus is placed on moveing the elbow first, then snaping the forearm,wrist,hand .

ken allgeier

Bustillo, A.
4th October 2001, 13:02
Ken A.

There are plenty of similarities between the Shotokan groups. Even so, there are also plenty of differences between Kenkojuku schools and JKA.

Harry Cook's book on Shotokan and its history is good, but it is basically the story of JKA, not Kenkojuku. There are many Shotokan groups that have nothing to do with Nakayama's JKA and their focus on training, and curriculum are not the same.

I'll cite another example.

Hirokazu Kanazawa states that weapons, kobudo, training was never practiced at the old JKA. (Fraguas, p. 130)
Of course, there are some JKa men who know weapons because they studied on their own, but that is another matter.

However, Tomosaburo Okano the founder of Kenkojuku is a recognized kobudo expert. Kobudo is part of the Kenkojuku curriculum.

Antonio Bustillo
www.SteadyTraining.com

hector gomez
5th October 2001, 19:02
funny quick story

It was early 70s jhoon rhee had just invented the pattened
foam safety kicks, and someone had the guts to bring it to
class ,and set it down by our sneakers and sandals,maybe this
person was thinking about practicing with them after class.

This was definitly a very bold move, at that time in our
school,anyway class gets underway, and sensei notices the
safety equipment ,he inspects it ,and in typical fashion demands to know
who brought them in,well i knew, but i wasn't telling,and neither
was anyone else.

Sensei took the safety kicks opened the front door and threw them
out to the street,never asked who they belonged to ,and did not care.
no one said a word, and we proceeded to have the most strenuos
class i have ever experienced.Bottom line" if there is one", put
your kicks in your bag ,and out of sight.

Hector Gomez

Bustillo, A.
7th October 2001, 13:31
Hector,

I didn't witness the incident, but I remember hearing about it. It was around the time the teacher was giving free haircuts.

What happened to the Jhon Rhee safety gear? Was it found?
I don't know what they were thinking. During that time, no type of protective equipment was allowed in our dojo.

Antonio Bustillo
www.Steadytraining.com

hector gomez
7th October 2001, 15:06
Antonio i don't remember what happened to the safety kicks,but
the haircut was definitly not a negotiable issue.

You probably need oj simpson best lawyers to get away with some of that stuff nowadays.

Goju Man
7th October 2001, 21:31
Nice thread yiyo, Mr. Gomez and Mr. Bustillo, I have not posted here before as I have no firsthand knoledge of Kenkojuko. I have enjoyed reading these stories, some of which I've heard before are just great.Keep up the good work. On a second note, I had frequented Virginia Beach many times in the past and remember
that beach for other reasons.

Regards,
Manny Salazar
it's all that
at the budo barn;) :D

Goju Man
7th October 2001, 21:35
Btw, I think I know the hair cut guy.:D

Manny Salazar
it's all that
at the budo barn;) :laugh:

Bustillo, A.
8th October 2001, 12:18
Yiyo, Hector,

The better known kenkojuku instructors were Toyotaro Miyazaki, Takahashi, Sugimoto of course, but I remeber another gentleman who was an expert with the Kamas. Hiroa, ? His name escapes me right now. What ever happaned to him? Did he go to another part of the country to teach? Back to Japan?

Antonio Bustillo
www.Steadytraining.com

hector gomez
8th October 2001, 15:25
Antonio i believe his name was sensei Horie,and yes
he was excellent with the kamas,I once saw him perform with
very sharp edge blades.He accidently nicked himself in the back as
he was swinging the kamas and started bleeding.

I know miyazaki was good with the bo ,but i also believe he was
great with the kamas.
Aside from the sword, I remember Mr. Sugimoto playing around with
the tonfas.
Hector Gomez

Bustillo, A.
9th October 2001, 09:32
You are right. koji sugimoto was proficient with the tonfas.

What he taught me helped when I had to use the PR-24.

So, what ever happaned to Horie?
I do remember the incident when he cut himself during a demo. Mr. Horie didn't bat an eyelash and continued as if nothing had happened.

Antonio Bustillo
www.SteadyTraining.com

yiyo
12th October 2001, 01:54
Hi there gentlemen. I'm still here. What ever happened to Horia.?? I did have the pleasure of meeting Mr. Horia at the YMCA. I remember Sugimoto always doing kata with the tonfas. Randy Rodriguez also use to screw around with the tonfas at times in class.
I remember Sugimoto walking around in class with a chalkboard stick smacking anyone that did not have a correct kiba-dachi stands or deliver a sluggish gyaku-zuki. ???? Thats a great story on the pro-tech foam equipment. Was that Sal that brought those to class.??
I remember one day going to class on a Tuesday night at the Y, and it was kumite time, and this brown belt (at the time) and the instructor teaching that day got into a full contact match, all out. Later after class, it almost started outside, but, we all stopped it (we should have let it go). No BJJ at the time.

yiyo
12th October 2001, 02:00
Hey Antonio. I never met Takahashi. Did he go back to Japan or he still here in the U.S. ??

hector gomez
12th October 2001, 04:26
Antonio

Yes that is very true, horie did not bat an eyelash during
that demo.

Yiyo
takahashi from what i remember, was a very big powerful
man,there was stories of him hitting the heavy bag with
a hell of a lot of power,i believe he might still be in N.Y

hector gomez
12th October 2001, 04:33
Antonio
I recieved your e- mail about kenkojukos 60th anniversary,I
don't think we are on the guest list.

Bustillo, A.
12th October 2001, 10:11
Hector,

Believe it or not, I received an invitation to attend the celebration in Japan.

Yiyo,

Takahashi has a dojo in NY. he is listed as the Head of kenkojuku in the US.
I will send you his website.

Kobudo weapons.
Each of the kenkojuku instructors had their favorites.
If memory serves corect:
K. Sugimoto- Tonfas, nunchaku,
Hotie -Kamas
Toyotaro Miyazaki - Bo, sai and also the sword.
Tomosaburo Okano, the founder, all the Okinawan weapoms, and he has advanced degrees in the sword arts.

Antonio Bustillo
www.Steadytraining.com

Bustillo, A.
15th October 2001, 16:48
Celebration held in Japan.

Photos of Kenkojuku's 60th anniversary.

Mr. John Egan's, Chirf instructor, website.

www.marinshotokan.com

Antonio Bustillo

Bustillo, A.
19th October 2001, 13:51
I cross referenced some information about Kenkojuku Shotokan.
The connection between Yoshitaka Funakoshi and Tomosaburo Okano was mentioned on this thread.

Reportedly, the Head Instructors of most Shotokan groups main influence came from Gichin Funakoshi. However, there are a handful of people who had strong ties to Funakoshi's third son, Yoshotaka. The latter group, T. Okano and his kenkojuku is in this category, brand of shotokan adheres more to the trainining emphasis of Yoshitaka. Thus, the differences; stances,--also, fudo-dachi is used more--
certain forms are included, the kicking strategy, and focus of fighting.

Antonio Bustillo
www.Steadytraining.com

MarkF
20th October 2001, 13:35
Yiyo,
While I hate to post anything about moderatin' and rules if I don't have something else to add, it is a rule here to sign with your complete, real name.

If you are having problems with the signature feature in your e-budo prefs, I understand many are experiencing problems, if this is the case, please manually type your full name to your posts. I hear tell that the sig. problem was fixed, so go into your prefs by clicking on "change profile" at the top of the page.

Again, I apologize to everyone for the rather empty post.

Regards,

Mark

yiyo
21st October 2001, 23:43
Antonio. Thats definitely real good inside information about Okano and his realtionshiop with Funakoshi's son. Now is when I am starting to realize some of differences that you mentioned between Kenkojuku and other shotokan branches.
Do you all remember the ALL-KUMITE classes that were held at the Samurai dojo in Coral Way maybe once a month (no kids).??? I will tell I saw some of the most aggressive style of karate-do fighting in those classes. Granted we were alot younger at that time, but, it sticks. The minute you would walk in that dojo (also a ballet school) you could feel the vibes. We would go home those nights with bruised shins, sore ribs, jamed toes, etc. It was good.

P. Castillo
Yiyo

Bustillo, A.
22nd October 2001, 12:58
Yiyo,

There was an article on T. Okano in a 1975 Black Belt magazine. The interview includes Okano's views about fighting in the dojo.
You, we, experienced what he mentions firsthand.

If you like, I will find the article and mail it.

Antonio Bustillo
www.Steadytraining.com

Bustillo, A.
6th November 2001, 13:54
Alas! I found the 1975 article on Tomosaburo Okano.
It is short, nonetheless I found it intersting.

So, for the members of the' South Florida Alliance' --and in case others are interested, --let me know if you are interested in reading the article.

Also, credit given to Mr. Hector 'It's All Good' Gomez, because he mailed me a 1978 newspaper clippng with photos od Okano.

Antonio Bustillo
www.SteadyTraining.com

yiyo
12th November 2001, 00:50
I believe Sensei Miyazaki has also come out on the front page of Black Belt Magazine several times.????

Antonio. I am definitely interested in seeing that article on Okano that came out in Black Belt. Did I email you my address.??

P. Castillo
Yiyo

yiyo
12th November 2001, 01:02
I cannot fail to mention that over the years anytime Kenkojuku of South Florida was invited to compete in any traditional tournament, we would always kick ass. Whether it was kata or kumite, there was a something that we learned over the years that helped us prevail during competion. I know YOU KNOWS what I mean. The confidence, the technique, the knak. The minute the Kenko's would be seen at tournaments, it was Kenko time (you know like macho time). It was a good feeling.???

P. Castillo
Yiyo

Bustillo, A.
12th November 2001, 14:01
Yiyo,

Yes , I have the article and your address. I didn't forget, I was out of town for a few days. I will make a copy and mail it to you.

And, you are correct about Miyazaki. Articles were often written about him, and Miyazaki graced more than a few magazine covers.

Antonio Bustillo
www.Steadytraining.com

Bustillo, A.
9th December 2001, 17:01
On John Egan's site, www.marinshotokan.com

Photos were added of the Kenkojuku Honbu in Japan.

Look for the section 'Kenkojournal'.

Antonio Bustillo
www.Steadytraining.com

hector gomez
9th December 2001, 22:21
No other like it ,i am sure there are many great karate organizations out there with some very fascinating stories.

I hope this thread has not come across as a supreme
(no other like it)organization or system of karate,because that
was not the real intention of this thread,but in sharing some of
the stories of this organization,i hope, i can speak for some of
the guys that once trained in kenkojuko in saying, that it definitely gave one a good solid basic foundation from which to build on.

I believe that no matter what art,style or system one trains in, if one gets a very good quality foundation first,later on if one seeks other forms of self defense ,the good foundation will always be there to help one easily digest different combat theories.

Hector Gomez

Bustillo, A.
10th December 2001, 12:25
Hector,
I agree and I am almost certain the original post was not meant as an issue of superiority, nevertheless, ir's a good thing you pointed that out.

A. Bustillo

Bustillo, A.
20th December 2001, 11:23
Photos of a superb martial artist, Mr. Takeshi Akusawa, were added to the Marin Shotokan site.

A glimpse as to his agility, proficieny, excellent form and technique; check out Akusawa's 'Low rider Fudo dachi'.

www.marinshotokan.com

scroll to 'kenkojournal' section dedicated to Takeshi Akusawa

Antonio Bustillo
www.Steadytraining.com

J.Fundora
20th December 2001, 21:10
kenkojuko Story

A instructor in Hialeah asked Master Okano if he would teach him how to knock out someone. Okano hit him and knocked him Out.
I think the instructor name was Randy. Anybody have anything to add
to this story is it true? What pressure point did he hit?
What about the time Marselo killed a dog that attacked him.
Mr Sugimoto and the chair at the tournament?

Thanks
Jose Fundora

hector gomez
20th December 2001, 23:09
Mr.Fundora

I remeber hearing about the randy story and okano,but i don't
have the specifics,as far as marcelo goes he was one of sugis
early shodans along with Mr.bustillo,anyway marcello i believe
use to work for F.P.L as a meter reader eons ago, as he went
into a house to read the meter a big german sheppard came
out of nowhere and jumped at marcello,he reacted by automatically
throwing a reverse punch which instantly killed the dog.

The Sugimoto story with the chair, Mr.Fundora you have to realize
these were all stories told to me i was not there personally and
i really hate to spread fetched out stories.To make a long story short sugimoto was matched up against a very well known competitor in a team competition back in the mid 70s his opponent a highly ranked fighter in his days, continually attacked
Mr. Sugimoto after the referre called matte,this proceeded to
happen many times over the duration of the fight,i believe sugi
thought that all budo ethics were thrown out the window,so he
proceeded to pickup a folding steel chair and strike his opponent
over the head knocking him unconscious,to this day i believe this
person has a steel plate in his head because of this incident.I have always been told that his reasoning for this was once the
fight was not being followed by the rules,in his mind it became a
real fight,NO RULES.

Hector Gomez

Rob Alvelais
20th December 2001, 23:30
I've *Got* to hear about Sugimoto and the chair! Please tell!

Rob

Never mind!

Originally posted by J.Fundora
kenkojuko Story

A instructor in Hialeah asked Master Okano if he would teach him how to knock out someone. Okano hit him and knocked him Out.
I think the instructor name was Randy. Anybody have anything to add
to this story is it true? What pressure point did he hit?
What about the time Marselo killed a dog that attacked him.
Mr Sugimoto and the chair at the tournament?

Thanks
Jose Fundora

Goju Man
21st December 2001, 04:24
Killed a dog? What the %$#$^% is that all about? What, no bulls around? What about the chair story? Was that move in kata?
I'll bet I know someone who would say so! But then again, therre weren't any metal chairs back then. That was Sugi's interpretation
of Basai chair. Remind me to not let the dog out!!!:D

Regards,
Manny "who let the dogs out" Salazar;)

hector gomez
21st December 2001, 15:54
Manny

That dog story has been passed down as a legit(real)happening
for the ages,but like oyama bulls i wasn't there, so who knows.

As far as Mr.sugimoto goes i was there on a lot of occassions some stories i cannot really post about,but a real quick one goes like this ,sugimoto has always been a top A rated referre in karate-do tournaments,but this particular tournament was like an open tourney in that a lot of the open guys attended ,but it was still being run by traditional standards.Mr sugimoto was the center
referre and some of the competitors that were there that day
were acting like they do in open tourneys, screaming by the corner of the ring and making all sorts of comments.As most of you know at traditional tournaments you can applaud good techniques,but making noise during the actual matches is usually a no-no.

Mr. sugimoto stopped the match and warned the unruly competitor to refrain from making noise and yelling during the
match something very common in open tourneys,but not proper
at this particular event,well sugimoto more than gave this one person various chances to clean his act ,but once the situation
turned very disrespectful all hell broke loose and Mr. sugimoto as
always came out of this scenario smelling like a rose.

Hector Gomez

PS:sorry about omitting the gory details guys

Bustillo, A.
21st December 2001, 16:09
Roberto Marcelo, a former Tokyo Karate-Do Association member of Akusawa's dojo, later and as far as I know a current kenkojuku instructor. Indeed, marcelo was attacked by a large dog. Marcelo 1, dog 0.

Hector, the sugimoto story about the guy yelling and screaming. Was it the same person who was in one of Sylvester Stallone Rambo movies? Or, are we talking about two separate incidents.

A. Bustillo

hector gomez
21st December 2001, 16:19
BINGO

J.Fundora
22nd December 2001, 21:10
Hector

I can relate this story becouse both Mr Sugimoto and Mr Herbi Thompson
both told me their side of the story. I promoted a turnament in 1988 were
both of then attended. I knew the story second hand before the event
and was waiting for them to meet. I was over by the main jugues table when
Mr Sugimoto at a high tone of voice say " Jose, Jose is that ah Herbi" he had a big grin on. I said yes and he turned to Mr Thompson and yelled "Herbi,
Herbi" making a hand signal for him to come over. They both shook hands and laughfing I could not hear what they said but it was very cordial and friendly meeting. I could not wait to talk to both becouse know I had a reason to ask the quetion.

First Mr Sugimoto, I asked him " What you think about Herbi. Did you hit him in the head with a chair?" He was grining and said " That Herbi he is crazy!"
I said "you know he has a plate in his head becouse of that hit" and he said "yeah" with a question look in his face and said "Jose he no stoping" and keeped moving his head from side to side and grining.

Then I went over to Mr Thompson and he was looking at me laughfing we shook hands and I said what happened when you guys fought.
he said " Man that Jap keeped coming with that front hand snap punch
(Oi suki) iah iah" he keeped laughfing he said" you know me"laughf some more and said "then he hit me in the head with a chair" some of hir students came over and we stoped talking.

For those that do not know Mr Thompson when he competed he was one of the ^&%% fighter around and had more *&^*&^ than anyone he would start the match in the center of the ring
and would end up somewhere two rings down hitting his opponets all the way there. I was not there but could see how thing happed Herbi keeped coming and when Sugimoto had enoughf here came the chair.
Neither of them said anything bad about the other and they acted like they had respect for each other.

Just an other day at a no contact unrealistic tournament in Yaaho Florida.

Jose Fundora

Goju Man
23rd December 2001, 00:32
Looks like Hector's attempts at keeping certain names out of the public is over with!:D Oh boy! What about the way of Congo?

Regards,
Manny "Inquiring minds want to know" Salazar:laugh:

hector gomez
24th December 2001, 05:21
Guys, i remember okano sensei and Mr.sugimoto both wearing
the wooden getas(sandals), instead of the traditional two block
sandals they sometimes wore only one block getas(sandals) ,it was impressive watching them execute techniques like kicks wearing these one block wooden sandals.

Who can forget Mr. sugimoto breaking 8 bricks with his forehead
at the county fair demo in the early 70s sporting very long hair
at the time,i believe this was one of sugis secret weapons since
he has been known to use it for real in life threatning situations.

Hector Gomez

hector gomez
24th December 2001, 05:38
It's a shame we lost some of the replies(stories) on this thread
during our shutdown,especially Mr. toyotaro miyazakis stories
when he executed a round kick at a students head and removed
a match stick with his toes from the students mouth.Mr. miyazaki was known in the eighties for competing in kata in the open tournaments and also training paul vizzio during his fighting career,but few people know that he was a great fighter in the 70s competing against such fighters as chuck norris,louis delgado and many more great karate fighters from the new york area.

Hector Gomez
PS:If anyone ever got to see him fight during that golden era please we would like to hear your replies.

Bustillo, A.
24th December 2001, 12:20
Hector,

I have photos of a demo we did at Florida International University during the 70's. Ken Ogawa and Koji Sugimoto did their segments: Ogawa his form with precision, and later had wooden sticks broken over different body parts. Sugimoto did the head smash on bricks you described.

And, you are correct when stating Sugi used the the top of his forehead, to butt, in crucial situations. I witneesed him down a cocky opponent who made the mistake to visit our dojo and try to show off.

Antonio Bustillo
www.SteadyTraining.com

Bustillo, A.
7th January 2002, 18:11
For those who remember some of the Kenkojuku demos in South Florida you will rememnber that Mr. Ken Ogawa--although he is a Goju stylist-- often participated.

Photo of Ogawa doing a form can be viewed in the e-budo bookstore section. ( book , 'Steady Training')

AB

yiyo
8th January 2002, 02:54
Hi there everyone. Its good to hear that alot of yous are back responding on this thread. Its a real shame that there were several posts that got erased because of a malfunction and/or a virus at E-Budo headquarters.
I believe there is so much we can share from present and former Kenkojuku soldiers as well as friends that we have associated ourselves with in karate-do. All of these stories from everyone are just simply great experiences that we can all relate to whether we were there or not. In a way, though we are thinking differently, its a shame we can not all come together and experience this again.???
I believe there were about 3-4 generations of the Kenkojuku association here in South Florida. Think about this for a second and maybe we can elaborate on this a little. I know that there is Kenkojuku in Japan, Miami, California, and New York, but, this South Florida alumni group that was created over the years (regardless of rank) was very special.

P. Castillo
Yiyo

Bustillo, A.
4th July 2002, 13:03
Last year I found a website for T. Miyazaki's dojo.
I can't seem to find it now, any info.

Tommy_P
4th July 2002, 16:09
Hi Guys,

I read this thread with great interest since I am a student Of Toyotaro Miyazaki, and received my black belt from him in 1987. As for Mr. Bustillo's question about the Miyazaki website, to the best of my knowledge it no longer exists. I left NY awhile back and opened my own dojo here in PA, an affiliate of the Miyazaki dojo. He obviously will always be kenkojuku and thats pretty much what he still teaches although he became his own school many years ago, 1975 I think, T. Miyazaki's U.S. Shotokai" so he no longer refers to himself as kenkojuku. I'm not sure but that may have been when he split his partnership with Takahashi?

I have to say it makes me a bit proud to read such great comments on my instructor. As a long time martial artist it amazes me sometimes how I might hear some new revelation about technique or kata and say to myself," wow, I learned that from sensei years ago but never really thought about it, or " ahhh, so thats what he meant......way ahead of his time.

As far as weapons that were mentioned, he knew quite a bit. His favotite being the bo. He has a scar on his forearm from training sword with Okano at the Kenkojuku.

Back in the mid 80's he met Toshihiro Oshiro of Matsubayashi shorin and things would never be the same for wepons training. Once he saw "Yamanni-ryu" weapons he thought what he had been doing up to then was an embarresment and abandoned it to train with Ohsiro sensei. He adopted Yamanni-ryu and it is required by students these days. He eventually became the east coast director for that system "Ryuku Bujutsu Kenkyu Doyukai".

Kata at our dojo was practiced until it was coming out of your ears but kumite was our big thing and the Miyazaki honbu where I trained was known for there fighting. We fought for points but only as an after thought after we were worn from constant regular hard sparring against one partner then against two and then three at times.

Miyazaki was always pretty open and saw the benifits of training in other things. He didn't mind as long as in class you kept shotokan, shotokan. I guess this comes from Okano whom Miyazaki told me, used to have instructors from other styles come to the Kenkujuku to teach. When he came here in 1967 Miyazaki was armed with spinning kicks and such that at that time were not prevelent in typical JKA shotokan.

His kicks always amazed me and seemed to suck the air out of the room. His chamber was incredibly deep and I suppose this comes from a story he used to tell about training with Okano. He said they had a hat with a ball hanging from it on a string. They were made to front kick the ball.....very close to the body. Even his side kicks were powerfull from up close. He, as well as many of his students could side kick you in the gut (hard) from 2 feet away and we used to practice side kicking while holding your partners hand.

I saw Miyazaki sensei last month and we talked as usual about my training....he asked as usual if I was still doing the Kyokushin thing:D. Unfortunately thes days he is not in the best of health. He apears like one who has parkinsons but they say that's not it. His spirits are good and he still teaches when he feels up to it. He is farm more soft spoken in class though. karate is his life and he just keeps going.

Just my 2 cents.

Tommy Pressimone

n2shotokai
4th July 2002, 18:23
Mr. Pressimone,

as a Shoto-kai practitioner I find your post intriguing. I have noticed web references to Toyotaro Miyazaki being head of U.S. Shotokai, although every link I could find was a dead end.

I mean no offense with my curiosity. My question is .......

Is Mr. T. Miyazaki Shotokan or Shoto-kai? I am not familiar with some of the people you mentioned so I am unsure of the lineage.

In the early 1960's, a Sgt. Smith was head of the U.S. Shotokai, but contact was lost with him, so the remaining schools in the U.S. either lost contact with Japan or had to travel back to Japan to re-establish contact. To my knowledge, no one in this group (my instructor included) was placed in charge of the U.S. Shotokai. Every goup was on their own although authorized to instruct Shoto-kai Karate-do.

This group of indiviuals is but one group of the Shoto-kai, as there are other groups and who is to say which group in Japan is authorized to authorize any individual to be "U.S. Shotokai". Shigeru Egami was the head of the Shoto-kai after Gichin Funakoshi. After Egami it becomes very unclear. This is the time period my instructor received his last certificate before leaving for the U.S. This certificate states his instructor was head of the Shoto-kai with two Shoto-kai subordinates also signing the certification. It is clear as mud to me. This is why I am curious regarding Mr. Miyazaki. If Mr. Miyazaki is from Japan Shoto-kai, perhaps he could shed some light on the subject.

Steve Beale

Tommy_P
4th July 2002, 19:28
Kenkojuku is the "school" name that Miyazaki trained at. It was headed by T. Okano who studied under Funakoshi and his son. It's "shotokan". Miyazaki eventually broke from the kenkojuku school and now calls his school Miyazaki's U.S. shotokai. Shotokai as in shoto association or organization not as style such as Egami's shotokai. There is also a JKA notable (who's name eludes me at the moment) who broke from JKA and now calls his org. _ _ _ _ shotokai.

Miyazaki teaches shotokan, the association is shotokai. Just like a Goju practitioner would belong to the goju-kai.

Tommy

n2shotokai
5th July 2002, 00:21
Originally posted by Tommy_P
There is also a JKA notable (who's name eludes me at the moment) who broke from JKA and now calls his org. _ _ _ _ shotokai.

Miyazaki teaches shotokan, the association is shotokai. Just like a Goju practitioner would belong to the goju-kai.

Tommy

That would be Asai, and I understand his break from JKA was in fact a Japanese court battle over who would lead JKA and he lost the rights to use the JKA name. Although there are many similarities Shotokan to Shotokai (same roots) there are also many differences philosophicaly and in technique. In my mind, today Shotokan and Shotokai are worlds apart, like oil and water. That being said, what is Shotokan? I don't believe there is one answer. From one Shotokan org to the next, they are very different.

Egami Shotokai is much the same. Some of what Egami espoused was borrowed and other parts discarded by other Shotokai groups. Egami was only the most well known of these as he was the head of Shotokai until his death.

Thank you very much for clearing that up! My little mystery solved!

Respectfully,

Steve Beale

Tommy_P
5th July 2002, 12:40
Steve,

Although there are many similarities Shotokan to Shotokai (same roots) there are also many differences philosophicaly and in technique. In my mind, today Shotokan and Shotokai are worlds apart, like oil and water. That being said, what is Shotokan? I don't believe there is one answer. From one Shotokan org to the next,they are very different.

This is very true and is a whole other debate:D
I believe there are acceptable differences between schools (to a point), the instructors own flavor if you will.

As for Kenkujuku, or Miyazaki's shotokai, it's not like your typical Egami shotokai and it's not like Oshima's karate either whether he calls it shotokan or shotokai. It's closer to jka as far as how the kata are performed (tempo and power wise). Maybe a little faster and less stacato.

The kata are different though slightly. They are said to be closer to what Funakoshi was doing before going to Japan. For instance we use Nijushi rather than Nijushi-ho. Other kata have slight differences but they are performed hard unlike the shotokai.

Tommy

Bustillo, A.
5th July 2002, 14:43
Mr. Tom P.

Thanks for your contribution to this Kenkojuku thread. Excellent.
In addition, I second your statement that T. Okano's shotokan and Miyazaki's brand of karate are different from Egami' and Oshimas shotokai.

n2shotokai
5th July 2002, 17:17
Originally posted by Tommy_P
Steve,

This is very true and is a whole other debate:D
I believe there are acceptable differences between schools (to a point), the instructors own flavor if you will.

The kata are different though slightly. They are said to be closer to what Funakoshi was doing before going to Japan. For instance we use Nijushi rather than Nijushi-ho. Other kata have slight differences but they are performed hard unlike the shotokai.

Tommy

I was always a traditionalist to the point I fely any modification to katas from "Karate-do Kyohan" were unacceptable. Two things happened to change my thinking. First I watched some SKA people performing kata and realized they were not the same as "Karate-do Kyohan". SKA being Ohshima and hey isn't that Ohshima in the "Karate-do Kyohan" pictures! Second, I read "Karate, My Way of Life". O'sensei points out that kata "should be" changed from instructor to instructor (to a point). Today I see value everywhere I go (McDojo's excepted). Although Shoto-kai is purely non-competitive I love to go and watch the katas at tournaments. So much can be learned from other styles and schools.

For clarification, Shotokai is much the same as Shotokan in that each group has evolved in it's own direction. We each think the others group "looks a little strange" to what "we do".

Other kata have slight differences but they are performed hard unlike the shotokai.
Kata for example, most Shotokai schools perform "soft" and flowing with constant movement. Our group is soft and hard. Katas are almost always hard, 100% ki with varying tempo. To beginners and intermediates it looks the same as JKA.

To me it all has value and neither Shotokan nor Shotokai can be pigeon holed. Way too many variations.

Steve Beale
Shoto-kai Karate-do

hector gomez
5th July 2002, 20:23
These are pictures I took while visiting Miyazakis dojo in flushing
N.Y around 1978.1) picture Miyazaki sensei executes a kick at student
2)Miyazaki dojo outside3)Miyazaki sensei performing with the bo.

I don't care if he calls it shotokan,shotokai or shotodon'tcare.He was
one bad man.

Hector Gomez

Tommy_P
5th July 2002, 22:03
Hector,

Great pics and great memories. The sign outside the dojo has the old school name "tokutai karate-do". At the time that was his only school. A couple of years later he opened another in Astoria queens. That dojo pictured is where I trained. The blue mat eventually was changed and made bigger as he leased the adjoining space on that floor. He has since moved a few miles up the road (Northern blvd.)
Great pics
Thanks
Tommy

hector gomez
6th July 2002, 09:05
Tommy,

I am glad you enjoyed the pictures,They were taken
after we droped in during our stay for the AAU nationals in hackensack N,J.

At that time I believe,Mr.Miyazaki was the head of the kenkojuko,
There were very few japaneese black belts competing in open tournaments back in the early 70s,as most traditional shotokan practicioners competed in mostly traditional tournaments only.

Miyazaki fought,if I remember correctly the likes of Chuck Norris,louis delgado,and most of all of those N.Y fighters of that era,I don't remeber how but I know he injured his knee and continued to compete in major open kata tournaments with a lot of success.

I also remember him training a little with P.K.A lightweight
champion paul vizzio.

Hector Gomez

Tommy_P
6th July 2002, 14:24
Hector,

You are correct about Miyazaki fighting against Norris and delgado etc. Miyazaki himself never spoke about any of his competition but if questioned he may offer a few (very few) words. He did say that Norris was always in top shape.

I know there was a bit of contreversy over the scoring back then because they didn't like the Japanese guy beating the Americans. He said once in an interview that he competed to show that traditional karate could win. He did all his kata strictly traditional and faught clean with solid technique.

You are also correct about Paul Vizzio. He teaches Fu jow pai kung fu and that is where he began his MA training under Wai hong (SP?) He faught underground full contact matches and was champion in that arena back in the 60's I think. Somehow he was also a black belt at our dojo and was there in the afternoons and on saturdays teaching as well as training along with us. He was one of the panel members for my shodan test along with Miyazaki. Miyazaki was the one who talked Vizzio into going into kickboxing where he became the super lightweight champ.

I know that in his 40's he came back and became champ again.

He was pretty incredible for a small guy and I always remember his feet and knuckles. The knuckles were like golf balls and the bone just below his big toe was like a small tennis ball. Miyazaki was the same and I always remember comparing Miyazaki's feet to Fred Flinstone because they were so square. They looked like bricks and if he kicked you, you were sure they were! Mr. Vizzio's whole family (wife and kids) trained with us as well as at his kung fu school. His wife is a black belt and a great fighter.

Tommy

Bustillo, A.
6th July 2002, 14:26
Miyazaki competed during the late 60's and early 70's and he was rated in the top 10. He resurfaced in the tournament circuit during the early 80's , again rated in the top 10.

Ref. Champion kickboxer Paul Vizzio. Miyazaki influenced certain aspects of his training.

rickhend
13th January 2007, 14:51
I know this is most likely years after the posting here. However, there is on name missing form the Kenkojuko list, Fred Hamilton's teacher...John Slocum. There are many others from John Slocum's Fluhsning, and Kew Gardens Hills dojo.

Jim Pierce
1st February 2007, 23:15
Rick,
I was surprised and glad that soemone here remembered Sensei John Slocum. His school which was on Northen Blvd Flushing called The Samurai.

There is another name not mentioned here who I believe built on the foundation Sensei Slocum started and allowed it to take off to the Shotokan of today.
Sensei Benard Pierce. My father. He arrived here from Dublin Ireland in the mid 1950's. Coming from a world in boxing in Ireland, he trained in Brooklyn and Coney Island to where sometimes he was the only one there. He was offered to go Pro, but Mom had a say in it. Looking for something else, he started to train at the Samurai.
He became one of Sensei Slocums top students which back then was something all strived for. At the time I was probably around 5 or 6 and was taking the Judo class upstairs, while the Karate class down stairs was going on. The sounds coming from downstairs made me think at that young age I was better off upstairs. Karate training was intense. Sensei Slocum was an exremely strong man. He was naturally built. I can remember him doing sit ups while holding steel weights either behind his neck or up against his chest.
My father needing to advance his rank went to Japan in 1966 +/- for his advancement under Master Okano.
There he showed tremendous strength the likes few had saw before from an American. His front kick and reverse punch were very powerful. (Every morning before he went to work, I would see my father with his feet up on the chair, knuckles to the floor doing hundreds of pushups and sit ups.) No big weight training.
Meeting up with Sensei Miyazaki in Japan, their friendship started.
My father had opened a school in Jackson Heights with another student of Sensei Slocum's Sensei Bob Nyjak. He had a great wheel kick.
They continued for a few years together. They split as partners.
My father had offered Miyazaki a partnership in his school. When Sensei Miyazaki accepted he came to live with my family for a number of years. Being the eldest of 5 children at the time, he was an older brother to me.
For the next number of years many great Japanese instructors while making their way to America stopped and stayed at our house. The names Kazuo and Fumio stick in my head.
My father a union carpenter foremen in NYC and Sensei Miyazaki while trying to expand their school alternated teaching for Jerome Macky at nights and weekends who had string of schools throuhgout the NYC and Hempstead.
My father's strength training and Sensei's incredible form.....now that was the total package. Students who studied under them knew what they had for teachers. Students with the names of Louis Juhas, Ed Drew, Louis Cario and Steve Barry who were there in the beginning. There are others I just cannot remember their names at this time.
I remember when Master Okano came to America for the frist time, the airport was so crowded, poeple standing around were thinking a famous movie star had arrived. I can still remember Master Okano's eye filled with such joy seeing how many students had come to see him arrive at JFK.
Hewas a very special man. I believe he is the reason Shotokan is one of the few arts where you can travel around the world and not find too much difference. He was the one Master.
After his 10th child, my Father made the decison to give up teaching and the school to Sensei Miyazaki.
Let me say now for the record, there are very few people on this earth with the character, heart and abilities as Sensei Miyazaki.
Paul Vizzio as another. To see him fight in China Town with bare knuckles was a treat. Abilities, well theres no need to mention anything cause he had the total package..Respectful?? His picture is in the Dictinary as the meaning of Respectful. Whether fighting and opponent or talking to a stranger, there is none more.
One other person not mentioned to often also is Sensei Takahashi. I can still think back and see him punching and kicking the heavey bag in the Flushing Dojo. The bag would bend in half and cry out with each punch and kick. He was the most flexible and strongest man I have ever seen todate.

I could have gone on about more about my Father, but rather I also talked about many others as there is no one person in Shotokan. Shotokan is one of those arts equal to Traditional Archery which is part of my life today, where poeple are there for you and pocessing tremendous skills and values.
I hope this adds a little more to the history of Shotokan Karate at least from my eyes here from New York.
Jim Pierce

rickhend
2nd February 2007, 03:25
Jim,

Mr. Bernard Pierce broke my foot during kumite. He was a tremendous martial artist, trained hard, worked to perfection. I truly admired him.

Sensei Slocum was the about the strongest martial artist I've ever scene. His additional talent was to be about 6'3" and fight like a 5'0" person. I only ever witnessed complete surprise and fear on the faces of those with whom he sparred.

Bob and Ed Nyjak, Fred Hamilton, Art McConnell, Loeb I think... one called the snake,and I think Baily. It was a long time ago, and I was young.

I started training in 1958, at a place on 72st Just off of Central Park West. A retired Marine named Nelson taught self-defense, and Korean Tae Kwon Do master taught there two nights weekly. I lived in Kew Gardens Hills, and Sensei Slocum opened a place on Main Street and 75th (I think), just across from the sitting park and the Queens County Savings bank that looked like Independence Hall. I watched a class and was convinced he was the one. He eventually moved it to Northern Bvld. and 149th street (I think).

I trained with Sensei Miyazaki (he is ill now) circa 69 after I was discharged from the Air Force, but attending college, moving to Suffolk and raising a family kind of put a damper on devoting the time required for proper study. I consider Sensei Takahashi a friend and great teacher. He has dojos in Amityville and Mt. Kisco.

Mr. Bernard Pierce = one great martial artist. Be proud!

I really enjoyed hearing from someone who knew these people.

All the best,
Rick

Jim Pierce
2nd February 2007, 17:47
Rick,
Thanks for the reply. Alot of great memories I have growing up around all these people you mentioned. It was one big family.
I had seen John a number of years ago riding the 7 train. He still looked the same.
Bob Nyjak and my father are still great freinds today.
Art McConnell painted the Tokutai Karate Do sign for my father when he had his frist school before Miyazaki had come to America. Art was quite an artist.
It was moved to Flushing above Alexanders Paint Store on Northern Blvd as seen in Hector Gomez's pictures on 7-5-02. I believe I am seated on the right with the blonde hair facing Miyazaki.
Funny thing about the name Tokutai... It was spelt wrong. When my father had opened the school he spoke Sensei Morano (I believe) who was a Judo instructor at the Samurai, and asked what is Japanese for 'First Attack". When Moran said Tokutai, my father had asked him if the spelling was T-O-K-U-T-A-I-..He nodde yes. I guess with the language barrier between the two of them back then, it never got spelled right. When an instructor came to visit from Japan years later he asked Miyazaki what "Tokutai" meant, because the spelling was wrong, Miyazaki told him to ask Ben and smiled.
I have some pictures I will try post later, one of Miyazaki doing a flying side kick to perfection with my father standing eyes closed I beleive. It was taken in the first school in Jackson Heights.
Alot of great memories with alot of great people. Like most old days in life, those were great old days.
Jim Pierce

rickhend
2nd February 2007, 20:29
Jim,

I thought the Judo teacher's name was Sagaengi (not sure of spelling), and he was one tough guy, but may have preceded Morano. There was also Bill Robbins, but that was early 60s, and he went to work for 3M.

I saw Fred Hamilton mid eighties, and I see Art somewhat frequently. He's mostly into Iaido these days: still writing and trying to make movies about the Samurai.

It was all great fun.

All the best,
Rick

Kaori Iida
3rd February 2007, 15:00
Actually Miyazaki has opened his business back up in Flushing for those of you who care. He's now teaching out of a dance studio on 164th street + Northern Blvd a few times a week. My mother tells me he's looking much better these days.

Prince Loeffler
3rd February 2007, 16:27
Actually Miyazaki has opened his business back up in Flushing for those of you who care. He's now teaching out of a dance studio on 164th street + Northern Blvd a few times a week. My mother tells me he's looking much better these days.

Please post your real name please ! Its just that annoying rule we have in E-Budo. :cool:

rickhend
3rd February 2007, 19:01
Please post your real name please ! Its just that annoying rule we have in E-Budo. :cool:

It's good to hear he is doing better.

All the best,
Rick Hendricks

Nick d
4th March 2007, 01:16
I was a student of Sensei Slocum's. I enjoyed reading your recent comments on his students. Here is a picture taken at one of the rare tournaments he took us to. I think you will recognize several faces.

Enjoy...

Nick Dominguez

Steve Gottwirt
16th May 2007, 23:47
Great to see this thread continuing after all these years. I'm part of the 'next generation' of Kenkojuku folks. My sensei, Mike Hatgis, trained on Long Island under the late Rudy Goldmann (who, like Bernard Pierce, was big into archery) and Toyotaro Miyazaki. This was at Black Belt Academy, which used to be Jo-Al's Judo Academy run by Joe Turchiano. Over the many years, (I began in Shotokan in the '70s, prior to that held Ni Dan in Tae Kwon Do) I worked out with Miyazaki, Masakazu Takahashi, Horie, Louis Carrio, Bill Martinez, Tom Pius, Ron Foster, and met Bailey when he stopped up from Louisiana (? I think). Mike told me stories of the 'old days' and often mentioned names like Pierce, Bailey, and Slocum.

I was at Fred Hamilton's tournament in Queens when Miyazaki cut his head performing kama kata. I also had the honor of judging him at some Empire State Nationals. The very first time I saw Miyazaki in tournament, I wasn't impressed. Halfway through his kata it dawned on me - the man showed no 'flash', he was simply flawless. By the end of his performance my jaw hung open in amazement.

Many folks on the thread asked about old photos and of tracking Kenkojuku practitioners on the web. I have some old photos on my website: do-gakuin.blogspot.com, including Toshihiro Oshiro's first NY kobudo seminar in 1985.

Miyazaki's site is closed, but can still be viewed by typing into the URL: miyazakidojo.com. It contains many old pictures of Miyazaki and Tomosaburo Okano. Also has magazine articles and covers.

Takahashi's site: takahashidojo.com, has photos of him, Horie, and Okano's visit to the Amityville NY dojo.

Miyazaki's successor, Kai Leung has a website: shotojuku.com - tells history and has many old (and new) photos. There's even a picture of Miyazaki at tournament less than two weeks ago.

Thanks for all the stories. Hope to continue the trip down memory lane with all of you.

Osu! Steve Gottwirt