PDA

View Full Version : Tsuruzo Miyamoto Sensei

matsushima
2nd October 2001, 09:50
does anyone have info on Miyamoto sensei, hombu dojo. when and where he began aikido and when he became uchi deshi? do you know if he had any other budo training? any information would be great.

Sakumeikan
28th September 2006, 09:06
Dear matsushima,
Genki Deska? This year we were hosting our British Aikikai[Birankai]Summer Schoolunder the guidance of our Technical Director, Chiba Sensei 8th Dan Shihan. As a special guest we invited Miyamoto Sensei [for the second time].
While I do not know exactly when Miyamoto Sensei became an Uchi Deshi I know for a fact that he was part of a core group of students studying with Chiba Sensei. I guess this has to be around 1976.Chiba Sensei was prior to 1976 in the U.K. for 10 yrs.
I have Dvd material of Miyamoto Sensei taken in Bangor Wales August 2006, 2004.
Incidentally Miyamoto Sensei is a very humourous guy and really good company off the mat.
All the best , Joe .

Tim Mailloux
28th September 2006, 11:44
[QUOTE=Sakumeikan]
While I do not know exactly when Miyamoto Sensei became an Uchi Deshi I know for a fact that he was part of a core group of students studying with Chiba Sensei. I guess this has to be around 1976. QUOTE]

I am not sure that is accurate. My teacher (Lorraine DiAnne Sensei) was a deshi of Chiba sensei at Hombu dojo from roughtly 1976 to 1981. While I have heard DiAnne sensei talk about training with Miyamoto sensei during that time, I am very certain he was not part of Chiba sensei's group. Actually, during that time period ALL of Chiba sensei's personal students at Hombu were foriegners.

Shibata sensei also spent a great deal of time training with that group, but he was one of Doshu's uchi-deshi and trained with Chiba's group in his spare time.

Sakumeikan
28th September 2006, 17:19
Dear Tim ,
It depends how you interpret the core group. In 2004 Chiba Sensei was asked how he met Miyamoto Sensei during a talk given at the British Aikikai Summer School .Miyamoto Sensei was present at this talk.Chiba Sensei stated that he met Miyamoto Sensei many years earlier in Japan and basically they used to [along with a few others] practice intensely.
As I said Chiba Sensei went back to Japan in 1976 I am speculating that it may well have been around this time both paties met.In view of both age differnce and rank difference it would suggest to me Chiba Sensei would have been the senior rank.Whether he was Miyamoto Sensei's teacher I cannot say.
I simply offer my comments on this matter.Thanks for your comments.
Best Regrds, Joe Curran

Tim Mailloux
28th September 2006, 17:51
Dear Tim ,
It depends how you interpret the core group. In 2004 Chiba Sensei was asked how he met Miyamoto Sensei during a talk given at the British Aikikai Summer School .Miyamoto Sensei was present at this talk.Chiba Sensei stated that he met Miyamoto Sensei many years earlier in Japan and basically they used to [along with a few others] practice intensely.
As I said Chiba Sensei went back to Japan in 1976 I am speculating that it may well have been around this time both paties met.In view of both age differnce and rank difference it would suggest to me Chiba Sensei would have been the senior rank.Whether he was Miyamoto Sensei's teacher I cannot say.
I simply offer my comments on this matter.Thanks for your comments.
Best Regrds, Joe Curran

Joe,
All I can do is tell you the facts that I have heard from the actual members of Chiba sensei's core group at that time, again my teacher was one of them. When I get a chance today or tonight I will send you a PM with more detail.