PDA

View Full Version : Thank You

gmanry
2nd October 2001, 15:24
Mr. Svinth,

Thank you for providing the links to those articles. They were very interesting, although I often find many studies on martial arts techniques to be lacking.

The following comments are not a criticism of Mr. Svinth in any way, as I am appreciative of these links. It is an expression of my take on these articles.

One starts an experiment with a set of assumptions and premises that often place unintended scope conditions on the experiment. The experiment is conducted and then the results are then generalized outside of those scope conditions, which is a fallacy.

The TKD example is based on breaking boards and bricks. Breaking technique and fighting technique are different in that breaking affords an amount of body wind up and preparation that is fairly unrelated to that found in combat. All that can be said about such a study is that students in TKD striking method X found Y to be the result. Most of the article is supposition and theoretical conjecture.

Furthermore, there was a theoretical comparison of one type of striking method to another but the two were not tested side by side in the same experiment. Thus scope conditions were unintentionally introduced into the experiment. The writer of the article, I believe, misunderstood some of the physical concepts and they are not well communicated. This is often the case in media representations of scientific results.

In terms of vertical vs. horizontal, we have to first define how the horizontal and vertical punches are being thrown, my initial interest in this thread. Once we have those definitions, then we can make serious scientific inquiries into such matters.

This was illustrated in the kickboxing article that mentioned that the execution of back kick makes a difference in comparison to a front kick.

Also, all of these articles are not examining other mitigating factors such as footwork, angle of attack, and anatomical target. The scientific study of martial technique is tricky. However, I think that it can be done properly over time.

Donations to the Glenn Manry Scientific Analysis of Martial Technique will be gladly accepted. Personal check, money order and CASH only... :D

arnie
6th October 2001, 08:40
"Donations to the Glenn Manry Scientific Analysis of Martial Technique will be gladly accepted. Personal check, money order and CASH only..."

Or maybe we could just donate our best punches, and you can analyze them?

;) Ari Lappinen

gmanry
7th October 2001, 14:50
Just as long as it is a "comparative" analysis.

"I'll roshambo you for it."----Eric Cartman, South Park

:D