PDA

View Full Version : Darrell Max Craig?

Arman
4th October 2001, 14:11
Dear E-Budo members:

So what's the story on this guy? I browsed through a book of his at the book store, "Japan's Ultimate Martial Art: Jujutsu Before 1882," or something like that. At first I thought it was bogus, but then I read in his preface that what the book was about was the jujutsu taught to certain segments of the Tokyo Police force. Apparently he calls it jujutsu before 1882 because the tech. taught in the Tokyo Police jujutsu (I forget the proper name of the art) are derived from the common thread of classical jujutsu tech., i.e., not from their modern incarnations (aikido or judo). Certainly, many of the tech. he shows are similar to jujutsu tech. I am familiar with. I was just wondering if anyone had more info either on Mr. Craig or on this Tokyo Police jujutsu? In other words, does he know what he is talking about?
Thanks,
Sincerely,

Arman Partamian
Daito-ryu Study Group
Baltimore, MD

Steven Malanosk
4th October 2001, 19:14
Hello,

Craig of Texas, has been around for a long time.
His lineage is of traditional roots in Jujitsu JuDo and KarateDo ShiToRyu, he is also a traditionally trained KenDoKa.

A high level martial artist to say the least.

"My opinion, based on fact."

Oh by the way, albeit no frills, that is an excellant book, you should buy it.

"My literarry critique, based on opinion.":D

Don Cunningham
4th October 2001, 20:03
I don't know Darrell Craig, never met him, never corresponded with him in any way. We're both from Texas, so I may be a bit biased because of that.

I thought his book on jujutsu was good, but it wasn't nearly as interesting as his other books on kendo and iaido. His book, Heart of Kendo, is the best general work on this subject ever published in English as far as I am concerned.

I've heard he can be a bit harsh on the students in his classes, but then so is most every kendo teacher I've ever met or trained with here in the U.S. or in Japan. I've never heard anything negative about him or his background.

The Japanese police accepted Kodokan Judo as the official course of instruction after the infamous tournament defeat of the other jujutsu schools in 1886. On this point, he is certainly quite historically accurate.

Arman
4th October 2001, 21:21
To both of you, thanks for the info.

To Don,

as you mention, kodokan judo became the official method of self-defense of the tokyo police (and apparently, Yoshinkan aikido is a major part of self-defense tech. taught to the Tokyo Riot Police). The part I was uncertain about was Mr. Craig's assertions that certain elite segments of the Tokyo Police (like S.W.A.T. - type teams), are still instructed in traditional jujutsu techniques, which he learned, and the basic techniques of which he presents in his book. I wish I could remember the official name of the art. I would have to refer back to the book.

Anyway, thanks again. Anyone else that want's to give their informed opinion, I would be glad to hear it.
Sincerely,

Arman Partamian
Daito-ryu Study Group
Baltimore, MD

Steven Malanosk
4th October 2001, 21:47
I beleive you are reffering to TaiHo Jitsu.

Don Cunningham
5th October 2001, 00:00
Kodokan Judo was officially recognized as the martial art of the Japanese police after the tournament in 1886. By comparison, Yoshinkan Aikido is a fairly modern art and part of the Tokyo Riot Police training program only since sometime after WWII. You might want to refer to Angry White Pyjamas by Robert Twigger for a description of the Yoshinkan Aikido training program and their relationship to the Tokyo Riot Police.

When I was in Japan during the '80s, the regular police department members either trained in judo and kendo. For their arresting techniques, they used a modern mixture of judo and aikido which they referred to as taihojutsu. It also included some jutte techniques, alledgedly from Ikkaku-Ryu, for keibo training. They are pretty secretive about the exact techniques, though, so I would find it surprising if someone outside the police department without a judo or kendo connection, especially a Westerner, would ever be allowed to practice with them. Mr. Craig has such a kendo background, and from his descriptions in his kendo books, knows a bit about police style kendo. This is much different that ZNKR style.

ghp
5th October 2001, 00:59
If we are to judge the book in question -- not on its cover -- but based on Mr. Craig's past performance ... then I'll pass, thankyouverymuch.

Mr. Craig's IAI: the Art of Drawing the Sword (Rutland: Tuttle, 1981), presents a basic introduction to iai and Japanese sword arts; and, it also has information about the 47 Ronin and other aspects of martial culture. However, IAI also abounds with inaccuracies (e.g., his rendition of Mugai Ryu Iaido -- which is not Mugai Ryu).

Additionally, I am extremely displeased by the fact that Mr. Craig plagiarized from other books -- especially Nakamura Taizaburo's Iai-Kendo (Tokyo: Seitousho, 1973), and Nippon-to Tameshigiri no Shinzui (Tokyo: Kodansha, 1980) [and yes, Nakamura sensei was my teacher]. However, Mr. Craig also "borrowed" from other published books, e.g., drawings from Ratti & Westbrook's Secrets of the Samurai.

If he had permission from Ratti & Westbrook, Mr. Craig certainly didn't acknowledge them, nor did their book appear in the bibliography. I know for a cold, hard fact that Nakamura sensei didn't give permission.

Bottom line -- quote sources when using someone elses work -- especially when you directly copy the same illustrations! And don't posit theories without more indepth knowledge: "...Musashi must have been a master of the arts of Happo-no-Kamae and Happogiri...." Sheesh! Musashi was undoubtedly a master fencer, but Mr. Craig couched that statement to imply Happogiri and Happo-no-kamae were an ancient system. In fact, they were developed as a cogent system between 1944 and 1953 by Nakamura sensei.

See my review of IAI here (http://rudy.bay-ad.com/~guypower/kenshinkan/rview.html) for examples of plagiarism.

Judging from what I've read, Mr. Craig has lots of kendo experience, though, and what he puts forth about kendo is probably accurate. I just wish he were more deliberate when publishing his books. Heck, for all I know, the stuff in his recent books might be accurate and properly researched and attributed; however, I'll never know because of the burned taste that is still in my mouth from IAI. It might be my loss.

Curmudgeonly yours,
Guy

Don Cunningham
5th October 2001, 03:50
Pages 123-125. Uncredited copies of illustrations from Ratti and Westbrook's Secret of the Samurai.
Pages 128-130, figures 9-11. Uncredited copies of illustrations copied from Sasamori and Warner's This Is Kendo (illustrations 6-8), depicting Mifune Toshiro's fight scene from the movie "Sanjuro."
Guy,

Normally I have a lot of respect for your opinion, so I went and checked several instances of "plagarism" which you identified in your review of Craig's work. The ones quoted above are far off the mark in my opinion.

Do the illustrations have something in common? Yes, they all depict Japanese swordsmen in period costume with swords. Are they the same? No.

Just how many ways can you depict a swordsman cutting an apple tossed to him? I looked at both, and it sure looks like there are some similarities, but I wouldn't go so far as claiming plagarism or copyright violation. They are both original line drawings by obviously different artists and in different styles.

As for the Mifune fight scene, Craig's book shows three drawings of a single swordsman against four attackers, two armed with swords and two with yari. The graphics in This is Kendo are a series of seven illustrations with photographs from the actual movie showing one swordsman being attacked by eight opponents, three armed with yari and five with swords.

Other than the similarity in that both sequences show one swordsman fighting against each of the attackers, what makes you think this is plagarism?

I didn't check the references you cite from Nakamura Taizaburo's Iai-Kendo. However, you indicated a line drawing in Craig's book is an exact copy of a color photo from Iai-Kendo. What do you mean here? Do you mean to imply that the artist who did the line drawing actually traced it from the photo? I looked at the illustration referenced and it appears to be simply a man cutting through several stacked rolls of tatami. It isn't even very lifelike or realistic. Are you suggesting that Nakamura Taisaburo was the first person to ever cut through tatami rolls stacked on top of one another and that anyone who illustrates this is guilty of plagarism? Because if you are, then I would have to mention that I've seen many older texts which pretty much show the same cut, so maybe Nakamura Taisaburo is guilty as well?

Overall, I was quite disappointed with your review and what I would consider a deep-seated bias against this author's work. Having been accused of essentially plagarizing Secrets of the Samurai for mentioning the story of the 47 ronin, I can understand how such things happen. In my case, I would suggest that Ratti and Westbrook obviously plagarized the story from Genroku Chushingura since it predates their publication as well. What really concerns me is that many others will read what you have written and assume it is fact without bothering to look at both illustrations.

ghp
5th October 2001, 04:58
Don,

...I went and checked several instances of "plagarism" which you identified in your review of Craig's work. The ones quoted above are far off the mark in my opinion.....

Those illustrations were close enough to the originals that the sources could be easily identified. (Oh, okay -- Warner & Sasamori used the actual Toho photo and illustrations, whereas Mr. Craig uses four scenes with half as many attackers.)

...Nakamura Taizaburo's Iai-Kendo. However, you indicated a line drawing in Craig's book is an exact copy of a color photo from Iai-Kendo. What do you mean here? Do you mean to imply that the artist who did the line drawing actually traced it from the photo?...

That's exactly what I'm saying. Would you mind me writing a book about tessen-jutsu (which I know nothing about) and using photographs from your book of you executing waza ... except I render my illustration as a line drawing? Then, if you were to place my line drawing on tracing paper, then set the tracing paper atop your photographs -- you'd see the exact lines. You wouldn't be a bit upset? That's what Mr. Craig did with Nakamura sensei's book.

If you don't mind me using your book as a direct source, I could copy your work (minus a tessen or two) and sell publish it. But of course, we both know mine wouldn't be the quality of your original.

I can even accept Mr. Craig's retelling of Lord Mitford's retelling of the 47 Ronin; however, the linedrawings taken from Kuniyoshi (or whoever) should have been identified as "from Kuniyoshi."

http://www.ukiyo-ewoodblockprints.com/images/test2.39.gif
I don't have IAI in front of me, and the above print may not be one of the copied ones -- but it illustrates the style that Mr. Craig copied.

Call me anal -- it is just an academic technique I picked up in grad school. I do concede that you are correct on one point, though: I do have a "...deep-seated bias against this author's work...."

But, then again -- I feel justified.

Has anyone else an opinion?

Regards,
Guy (the Anal-ist)

ghp
5th October 2001, 05:36
I just noticed the Ronin above is actually a secret student of ballet. Note he is standing in first position and appears to be preparing to plie' ....

http://www.nationalballetschool.org/pages/firststeps/images/feet-1st.jpg
photo copped from http://www.nationalballetschool.org/pages/firststeps/

--Sorry, I couldn't resist. :D

AAC
5th October 2001, 09:04
Well, I checked some of Nakamura's references and I respect Mr. Powers opinion. I'm not going to recommend the book be burned, but I think the points of plagiarism have credit.

Heart of Kendo is a well made book and much better than his other works.:smash:

Don Cunningham
5th October 2001, 13:13
Guy,

First, I am not trying to defend Craig. Maybe I'm a bit sensitive due to a lot of similar recent accusations about my book from two persons who both admit they didn't bother to even read my work.

Certainly tracing the photo into a line drawing is unacceptable without attribution. I don't have the actual photo to refer to, but the line drawing didn't look very realistic to me, so I found it hard to imagine it was traced.

When illustrating my own book, I had a number of issues come up. I wanted to use several photos from Edo Jutte, a really beautiful collection of jutte. I even received permission from the publishers. The fees they wanted would have limited the number of photos I could have included. The publisher wouldn't provide originals, but suggested I scan the images from my copy of the book. The quality would not have been acceptable. Then I heard from them that many of the jutte included were suspected to actually be forgeries, a problem which is more common than I ever knew before. In the end, I didn't use any of the photos.

In another case, I wanted to use a photo from a early 1900-era French postcard. It had been reprinted in another book, though. When I contacted the publisher, they admitted they didn't hold any copyright and even if one had existed, it would have expired years ago. After a lot of back-and-forth communication, they finally recommended I go ahead and use the photo, but without attribution. Most woodblock prints are no longer copyrighted protected, either, since the work is usually over 100 years old.

However, if someone else were to see this photo in both books, they may easily come to the same conclusion and decide that I have stolen the work. Putting that kind of information out in a public forum, though, without realizing the actual circumstances would not only be false but irresponsible. I've read the opinions of many such "Internet Lawyers" here and on other forums, so I am somewhat concerned about how much bad information is being presented as fact without doing the necessary research to uncover the actual facts.

To apply this to your example, let's say you want to do a book and use a section of a woodblock print I've used in my book. You ask for permission, but I respond that I don't hold any copyright to the print. I suggest you use the drawing, but I do not want an attribution to my book. After publication, though, someone notices both books have a similar illustration. Since my publication date precedes your's, they conclude you have plagarized my work and publish this accusation on the Internet.

By the way, I still respect your opinion, Guy. I just think that opinion should be clearly labeled as such. While I agree with much of what you state from my own graduate school days, my journalism background requires clearly identifying editorial from news.

CEB
5th October 2001, 20:42
I have also passed up Mr. Craig's Jujutsu and Kendo books based on my experience with his Iai book. I don't know anything about the plagurism claims. I just did not like the book. My local bookstore has the Kendo and Jujitsu book but I didn't look at them. I just thought , hey thats the man who wrote that God awful yellow book on Iaido. It sounds like his newer books may be worth a look. Writing a book isn't easy. Maybe now he is better at the art of book writing. I might give his new books a look next time I'm at Barnes and Noble.

Ed Boyd

Steven Malanosk
5th October 2001, 21:32
http://www.houstonbudokan.com/

Brently Keen
5th October 2001, 22:04
My opinion:

Of the three books mentioned by Craig, the IAI book is easily the worst one. The jujutsu book has a few good nuggets in it, and the Kendo book is very good much like Don said, imho.

My complaint is that as a representative of Hokushin Itto-ryu why didn't Craig include more info on this ryu? There were some nice conversations and experiences with his Hokushin Itto-ryu teacher recounted in the Kendo book, but then it was primarily about kendo (hence the name, duh) I just would've liked to have seen more specific Hokushin Itto-ryu information, personally. I mean isn't that his primary area of expertise? Why'd he attempt to depict Mugai-ryu iai kata in the IAI book, and if they weren't Mugai ryu why didn't he say what they were? I'm not familiar with Nakamura sensei's book so I can't comment there, but those line drawings looked a lot like Westbrook & Ratti's to me. I don't know if they were actually copies or plagiarism but they certainly weren't too original. Some of the comments & quotes about aiki are interesting, but they also appear in one of Draeger's books. So go figure.

Overall, I felt there wasn't enough referencing and credit given to sources, particularly with the IAI and Jujutsu books. And anyone writing books should always be careful to give credit and referrences whenever possible (if not possible, I'd still try to explain why it wasn't possible). The Kendo book is very nice though, and those who didn't like IAI should still give it a fair look at least, before dismissing it out of hand.

Brently Keen

Rob Alvelais
5th October 2001, 22:25
Originally posted by Steven Malanosk
http://www.houstonbudokan.com/

Well, as far as the karate is concerned, the Ryobukai is a very respectable organization in the USA, at least. Mr. Yamazaki, the head of the Ryobukai in the USA, is a very talented and respected karate-ka, and his US Students are quite good. I speak from personal experience with Mr. Yamazaki and many of his students, although I have not met Mr. Craig.

Rob Alvelais

MarkF
6th October 2001, 10:31
From the web site in discussion:

Some elements of this site were copied from other web sites without permission and are provided here for information purposes only. The web designer claims no copyrights on the material on this site. If you feel that you have a copyright claim to any material on this site, please contact me and I will remove the offending material.

I think this "caveat" makes Guy's comments pretty convincing, though I've never found reason to disagree.

There is a photo taken with Keiko Fukuda-sensei, however, and kudos to anyone these days who can accomplish that.:)

But as to using material from other web sites, even I could probably come up with one as good as this if I did the same.

Mark

Daniel san
26th December 2003, 18:19
Hello,
It is not plagarism to make a tracing from a photo as long as there are enough differences between the two. For instance in Iai, the "drawings" are bad enough and with such poor line quality as to constitute remarkable changes from the original. Otherwise, Andy Warhol wouldn't have been very rich, heck, he didn't even bother making tracings.
Sorry to bring back an old thread but I got Iai for Christmas.

Budoka 34
27th December 2003, 01:28
Whether you like his books or not; he is truely a hard (with respect) old warrior. I had the honor of meeting him at the 2000 USANKF nationals in Houston and getting several of his books signed.
He carries himself like every great warrior should, with respect.

His seminar in Asheville, NC years ago is still talked about with awe.

I for one enjoy all his works.

:smilejapa

Tony Peters
28th December 2003, 09:13
Originally posted by Daniel san
Hello,
It is not plagarism to make a tracing from a photo as long as there are enough differences between the two. For instance in Iai, the "drawings" are bad enough and with such poor line quality as to constitute remarkable changes from the original. Otherwise, Andy Warhol wouldn't have been very rich, heck, he didn't even bother making tracings.
Sorry to bring back an old thread but I got Iai for Christmas.

Actually you only need 7 graphical differences from a copyrighted work to call it your own. tracing of photos are completely legal as you are not likely to get every detail hence you have your 7 differences...

Mekugi
28th December 2003, 09:51
Craig's books make a nice liner to put on the bottom of the catbox.

Generally, anyone who has actually done traditional Japanese Jujutsu (AKA Koryu Jujutsu) and then sees this book usually makes the EXACT above statement. His books are simply crappy- I can only imagine his technique.

IMHO the guy needs to apologize to everyone that was dumb enough to buy one of his books (and that included me).

-R

JAMJTX
28th December 2003, 20:29
Darrell Craig is one of, if not THE, most broadly knowledgeable people in regards to Japanese Martial Arts I have met.
I was a Jujitsu student of his while living in Houston. I gladly drove passed a lot of schools, that were a lot closer to home, to get to his dojo.
This book on Jujitsu is very good. It covers the Kaisho Goshin Budo Taihojitsu Ryu that he learned from his instructors within the Tokyo Metropolitan Police Department. The style - I think curriculum is a better word for it is based on Kodokan Judo and Yoshinkan Aikido. But there are also some Koryu Jujitsu technqiues included. It is not just a Judo/Aikido combo.
He was here in PA for a seminar this past January and is coming back on Jan 24th. Come on out and meet him.
He has a new book coming out soon that picks up where his "Heart of Kendo" left off. He is an excellent Kendo teacher as well.
The IAI book is really not that bad. Considering there were not many works on the subject and it was the first book by someone not trained as a writer - who never intended to write a book to begin with. I use it as a reference all the time.
As for the plagiarism charges - they come out each time he has a new book out. And as I said, there is a new one coming now. The problem is that the charge has been around for nearly 30 years now and never substantiated. The complaint was never brought to his publisher, the publisher of the book work said to be copied - or even to court. A complaint has never been made by any other publisher or author - and they all know of the book. It is one of the best selling martial arts books of all time and it is still on the shelf and still selling.

Gene Williams
29th December 2003, 00:21
Craig's books do not reflect a high level of skill or knowledge. Maybe he just isn't a good writer, or does not want to spend the money for a quality publication. Anyway, I've never met him, but his books make one think he is Mickey Mouse. Sorry.

John Lindsey
29th December 2003, 00:46
Do we really need to go over this again? No...