PDA

View Full Version : Goju Shorei

Heiwa
6th October 2001, 21:42
I wasn't sure if I should post this here or under karate, so if I posted this in the wrong forum I apologize.

I have studied Korean arts before (Hapkido, TangsooDo, KukSool) the only Japanese style I've had experience with, which was limited, was Judo. I just started a Goju Shorei class. Because I've just started we haven't really discussed much about its history. I was wondering if anyone could help me out with some info on Goju Shorei.
Is it an offshoot of Goju Ryu? Is it an American style that someone started based on Okinawan karate techniques? Any information that could be passed my way would greatly be appreciated. :smilejapa

Arigatoo Gozaimasu,
Frank Ferrara

Rob Alvelais
6th October 2001, 23:09
Could you mean Shorei-Goju? That was what Robert Trias was calling his karate for a while. The system was something of Mr. Trias' creation. So, it's a American system. I'm not aware of other, unrelated styles called Goju Shorei. but there could be.

Ref: Farkas and Corcoran "Martial Arts: Traditions, History, People"

Rob

Yamantaka
7th October 2001, 12:22
Originally posted by Robert Rousselot
Higaonna Kanryo is said to have called his style Shorei ryu, and Miyagi Chojun called his art Goju ryu. How the term Shorei Goju or Goju Shorei came about I have no idea...... but the two men responsible for these arts don't seem to have used the combination of those two names.

YAMANTAKA : And I believe there's also the Shorei Kan Goju Ryu Karatedo...And, by the way, Heiwa, why don't you ask your Shorei Goju teacher?
Best

Heiwa
9th October 2001, 12:10
Thanks to those of you who have responded. And yes I plan on asking my sensei. As I have mentioned I just started, we've only met once. Tonight will be my second time. When I find out something, I will post what I find out for any who are interested. Thanks again to those who responded your time is appreciated.

Frank Ferrara

Ken Allgeier
9th October 2001, 15:23
The late Toguchi Seiikichi ( Goju Ryu) dojo was located in Nakanomachi Okinawa which was called the " Shoreikan " ,which was also four blocks from the Kadena Air Force base.

ken allgeier

PingAnTu
9th October 2001, 23:46
Growing up, I did a style called shorei-goju ryu. Goju-shorei ryu is another thread from a common source -- Robert Trias.

Robert Trias learned some Xingyiquan from a guy named Dongjixing (T'ung Gee Hsing) in the solomon islands where he was stationed during the second WW. RT was a large framed navy boxer who was taken to school by a slight frame chinese guy in the ring. Dongjixing was of the SunLuTang lineage and apparently trained together with Choki Motobu in Okinawa. Their mutual research produced kata called GoPaiSho, NanDanSho, and DaNenSho.

The rest of the style is made up of a combination of Shuri and Naha kata. Naihanchi and Sanchin are both practiced. Also, Pinan 1-5 (apparently influenced by the Nakamura lineage), Bassaidai, along with some kata from the Kajukembo line called Nekobudo 1-12. There is also a kata that Trias made up before he passed on. Some of the goju kata are practiced including Seiuchin and Saifa.

Kumite is also practiced (open tournament freestyle) along with some kickboxing.

Self-defense is also practiced. Lots of eye strikes, etc... along with something called "circle systems" created by a Chicago karate guy named Ken Knudson.

Bascially, it's a mixed "American" style.

PingAnTu
11th October 2001, 03:13
Yea, in my opinion alot of what he said is suspect.

I remember meeting him when I was a kid of about eleven. I got my picture taken with him and he is looking to the side totally uninterested. I got the impression that he was a jerk. If a kid thinks you are a jerk then you probably are.

What he did do though, is open the door to what was a very misunderstood art in the west. I don't think he had a good handle on it; but then again, training in those days involved alot more cultural misunderstanding than today. He supplied a springboard for a lot of people to aggressively persue a better understanding. He also created the largest ever Karate community in the US called the USKA. While there are some questionable karate men that came out of the USKA, there are also some really good ones.

That kind of karate hasn't been my bag of tea for a long time now, but I have to admit that Trias served a time and place.

the Khazar Kid
9th November 2001, 18:49
Is it this style?:

www.gojushorei.com/

Not sure why it also says "Kifaru", which means rhinoceros in Swahili. Here is the history and lineage for this school:

www.gojushorei.com/karatehistory.htm
www.gojushorei.com/karatefamilytree.htm

From the "Karate Family Tree" shown here, it doesn't appear that Robert Trias trained directly under Motobu, but learned from students of his. This school doesn't appear to be directed based on Trias lineage, but on Robert Huggins, apparently a student of Gogen Yamaguchi.

Jesse Peters

Doug Daulton
9th November 2001, 19:09
PingAnTu,

Please sign your full name to all posts. It is easy to do with a "Signature" which can be set up under "Change Profile".

Thanks,

Doug Daulton
9th November 2001, 19:13
Originally posted by Robert Rousselot
On a different topic:
Is the automatic signature function broken on E-Budo?
Mine doesn't seem to work no matter how many times I set it. Robert,

I don't know, but I'll find out. PingAnTu ... maybe that signature won't be so simple. :D

Regards,