PDA

View Full Version : Kinshi waza

Graham Wild
7th October 2001, 16:09
Oh no it's him again :rolleyes: .
Got another question what are kinshi waza? I did a quick check and kinshi translated to ban (well that's the one that stood out). So are kinshi waza banned techniques if so what is wrong with dojime (body restriction) and ashi garami (leg entangling) as we already covered kani and kawazu in one of my other threads?:)
Once again any info would be great.

tommysella
8th October 2001, 05:10
Hi Graham,
The Do-jime can damage internal parts of your body and a leg lock does not give enough warning like the elbow does. That's why they are banned in randori...

Regards,
Tommy

MarkF
8th October 2001, 08:53
What is a little irritating is the "banned" techniques, such as ashi-garami. It is in the katame no kata and is not banned, but put into the kata category.

As of right now, most such entanglements are banned in competition by the IJF. Like most "banned techniques," they are practiced and learned.

I've been hearing of leg locks coming into international competition for a number of years, but so far it hasn't happened.

Mark

dakotajudo
8th October 2001, 13:01
A better translation would be "prohibited", or more precisely, "prohibited in randori". These techniques are an important part of judo, just not practiced in randori.

If you read Kawaishi's "My Method of Judo", you'll find he had major philosophical differences with the Kodokan's kinshi, and included several leg-locks and neck locks in his randori training. Most of these techniques are also listed in Syd Hoares "A-Z".

Graham Wild
8th October 2001, 15:32
Thank you to you all especially the last post by Peter, I will try to get hold of that book, that is after I have finally finished paying of my Kodokan Judo :)