PDA

View Full Version : Bu's Clues #1

John Lindsey
13th October 2001, 04:11
Bu's Clues is a modification of our old trivia trek contest. I will post questions related to Japanese history and martial arts.

The first one to get the right answer wins a point. We will keep track of the scores along the way...

To start things off, what is the significance of this photo in relationship to the Japanese Military?

Neil Yamamoto
13th October 2001, 10:39
This was the visit of the Japanese ambassador, General Oshima to Germany, and the visit to the Henschel plant.

Oshima was shown a Tiger tank and a single Tiger tank was then sold to Japan in 1943 but was never delivered due to the war situation and was loaned by Japan to the German Army.

As allies of Japan, Henschel charged Japan 645.000 Reichsmarks for fully equipped Tiger (with ammunition and radio equipment), while the regular price for the same Tiger was only 300.000 Reichsmarks. Can you say, "screw you, even though we are supposed to be allies."

At least, I think so.

John Lindsey
13th October 2001, 11:52
Bingo!

But, they actually bought a Panther and a Tiger. The tank shown is the Panther.

Score so far:

Neil Yamamoto 1

John Lindsey
13th October 2001, 12:00
The following is a script from a certain Comedy show. What was the name of this show?

Messenger: I bling a dispatch flom Prymouth.

Clerk: Flom Prymouth?

Messenger: Flow Sil Flancis Dlake.

Clerk: Entel and apploach the thlone.

(The doors open. The messenger leaps on another moped and rides up to the throne on which sits Elizabeth surrounded by her courtiers, all of who are on motorized bicycles.)

Queen: What news flom Prymouth?

Messenger: Dlake has sighted the Spanish Freet, youl Majesty.

Queen: So! Phirip's garreons ale hele. How many?

Messenger: One hundled and thilty-six men of wal.

Leicester: Broody herr.

Queen: Is Dlake plepaled?

Messenger: He has oldeled the whore freet into the Blitish Channer.

Queen: So, we must to Tirbuly. Reicestel! Sil Wartel Lareigh! Groucester! We sharr lide to...

(Enter Japanese director.)

Japanese: Groucestel! Groucestel! Not Groucester. Come on, ret's get this light. Reicestel!

Leicester: Yes.

Japanese: That was telliber.

Leicester: What?

Japanese: Telliber.

Leicester: Oh! Solly.

Japanese: When you have a rine, ling your berr.

Leicester: Ling my berr?

Japanese: (linging his berr for him) Ling ling. Rike this. And cut the broody herr. Erizabeth!

Queen: (cheesed off) Yes?

Japanese: You should be on a bicycer.

Queen: Why?!

Japanese: You rook odd rike that.

Queen: I do not look odd like this - it's that lot that looks odd. It's bleeding weird having half the Tudor nobility ligging around on motorized bicycles.

Japanese: It's vely sullearist.

Queen: Horsefeathers!

LeicesterL: Listen mate. I'm beginning,to have my doubts about you.

Japanese: What do you mean?

Leicester: I'm telling you straight, mate. I don't think you're Luchino Visconti at all.

Japanese: Of course I am. Me vely impoltant Itarian firm dilectol.

Queen: You are a Nip.

Japanese: Lubbish! Me genuine wop. (sings) Alliveldelchi Loma...

Leicester: He's bluffing.

Japanese: (sings) Vo-oorale... Ooh ... Is that the time, I must fry.

(The door opens. lnspector Leopard rum through the door followed by a copper.)

Inspector: Not so fast, Yakomoto. (trumpeters play a fanfare) Shut up! (fanfare stops) Allow me to introduce myself. I am Inspector Leopard of Scotland Yard, Special Fraud Film Director Squad.

Court: Leopard of the Yard!

Inspector: The same. Only more violent. (he demonstrates this by kneeing the copper in the balls) Right, Slit Eyes Yakomoto, I'm arresting you for the impersonation of Signor Luchino Visconti, famous Italian director of such movie classics as 'Ossessione' 1942, 'La Tetra Trema' 1948, and 'Bellissima' 1951 - a satisfying ironic slice-of-life drama. 1957 brought to the silver screen his 'I Bianche Notre' adapted by Dostoyevsky, a mannered and romantic melancholy of snow and mist and moonlit encounters on canal bridges. 'Boccaccio 70' followed five years later and the following year saw 'The Leopard'! So impressed was I with this motion picture treatment of the Risorgimento that I went along to Somerset House and changed me own name to Leopard, preferring it to me original handle, 'Panther' (Aargh). I digress. 1969 saw 'The Damned', a Gotterdammerung epic of political and industrial shennanigans in good old Nazi Germany, starring Helmut Berger as a stinking transvestite what should have his face sawn off, the curvaceous Charlotte Rampling as a bit of tail, and the impeccable Dirk Bogarde as Von Essen. The association of the latter with Signor Visconti fructified with Dirk's magnificent portrayal of the elderly poof what expires in Venice. And so, Yakomoto... blimey, he gone! Never mind. I'll have you instead. (grabs the queen)

Queen: What?

Inspector: I haven't got time to go chasing after him, there's violence to be done.

Meik Skoss
13th October 2001, 13:17
Just a guess, but is that from "Brack Addel"?

John Lindsey
13th October 2001, 17:28
Sorry, but that is not correct.

Here is a Bu's Clue: An English General; a reptile; clowns involved with aviation.

Gloi
13th October 2001, 19:25
It's.......
"Monty Python's Flying Circus".

...... and now for something completely different.

Alison Fiddler

John Lindsey
13th October 2001, 19:59
Alison 1
Neal 1

Next....

In the art of appreciating Japanese incense, one does not "smell" the incense, but rather " fill the the blank " the incense...

Neil Yamamoto
14th October 2001, 03:55
One listens to incense.

The incense I have tells me to kill my neighbors, but I just ignore it.

John Lindsey
14th October 2001, 06:38
Alison 1
Neal 2

Next...

A ball made with deerskin was used in this sport, which was popular with the Heian aristocracy. What is the Japanese name for this sport?

Neil Yamamoto
14th October 2001, 08:01
kemari

Think "Japanese hackysack" to get an idea of what it was.

John Lindsey
18th October 2001, 00:05
Alison 1
Neal 3

This author of various martial art books shares a birthday with a famous Japanese martial artist.

Who is this author and the Japanese Master?

John Lindsey
18th October 2001, 13:41
Bu's Clue: The author's parents were both judoka.

Mark Brecht
18th October 2001, 14:00
Btw, John forgot to mention, that the first person to reach 10 points will receive a nice gift from us...

:smash:

John Lindsey
19th October 2001, 13:59
Bu's Clues: The author has been mentioned in our Bad Budo forum.

JimGould
20th October 2001, 21:41
No, no it can't be...not the dreaded Ashida Kim???

Steven Malanosk
20th October 2001, 22:00
How about Bruce Tegner? :idea:

John Lindsey
20th October 2001, 22:46
Answer requires the name of the author, and the Japanese Master....

Tetsutaka
22nd October 2001, 14:34
Originally posted by Neil Yamamoto
One listens to incense.

The incense I have tells me to kill my neighbors, but I just ignore it.

I'm incensed by this whole line of questioning...

John Lindsey
25th October 2001, 04:52
Bu's Clue: The Japanese master died at sea.

John Lindsey
5th November 2001, 06:26
Ok, we have half the answer so far. Bruce was the author, but who was the Japanese martial art master who has the same birthday?

Neil Yamamoto
5th November 2001, 16:52
Ha, you gave it away finally.

I pretty sure you meant Jigoro Kano Sensei and I thought it was Tegner but couldn't confirm birthday for Bruce Tegner.

So, Bruce Tegner and Jigor Kano to complete the answer.