PDA

View Full Version : Protien bars: buff or bark? You decide!

Uranium235
15th October 2001, 16:21
Greetings:

So I have made it a habit after workouts and training to consume a protien bar. I try to do this 30-45 min after my workout or training is complete to ensure that I can fully absorb all it's protien goodness.

I am currently a fan of Peanut Butter Cliff Bars. They have about 200 calories and 10g of protien. I like these very much because they have a soft texture that is not chalky and the flavor is genuine (they use penuts and honey).

While I think these are good bars I would like to hear what other people like to use. I am interested in getting more protien from my bars with the minimum increase in calories.

I will also say that I tend to dislike protien bars that attempt to be candy bars. If they are very chocolaty or have something like brownies in them I tend to utterly hate them. =) Since I eat almost no candy anymore I have little desire to eat protien bars that try to be candy.

So I invite you all to tell me what protien bars you use and what your opinions of them are.

Thanks in advance to all who respond.

U-235

PHILBERT
16th October 2001, 04:16
I go for power bars choclate. Sure it is like a "candy" bar, but I dont like all those penuts and penut butter, caramel, and what-not protein bars put in. I can't stand eating a candy bar unless it is choclate and only choclate.

Scott Rehark

MarkF
16th October 2001, 08:36
I like "Power Food" but only as a snack. For the protein "rush" they don't do the job very well. I generally make a smoothie or protein shake with a little lecithin (helps to keep it free of powder lumps), and the boost I've not found in any of the candy bars passed off as diet food, protein or not.

Mark

luihu
19th October 2001, 10:26
I prefer shakes, because they are much cheaper in the long run. Besides, I don't like chocolate. Taste isn´t the thing. Little bit of disgust is always a good thing. Ken, I use this thing called shaker and whey protein, and I don´t have any problems with powder lumps. Soy protein has a tendency to get "lumpy".

József Pap

Kevin73
19th October 2001, 14:53
Sportpharma makes a good protein bar that is mint chocolate flavor, it has about 20g of protein, I also like MLO's protein bar in honey yougurt peanut flavor and that has about 21g of protein. I also use protein shakes but I keep a couple bars handy for when I'm at work and get mix one up.

SilkSeaWater
22nd October 2001, 03:46
I detest chocolate, so I can't comment on the benefits of tastes on those type for you.

However, I have had good luck with the 'Balance' bars in the lemon flavor. They are high in protien, but aren't loaded with sugar and bad charbos.

I generally eat natural stuff these days and refrain from the processed stuff, but they seemed to work well. On a side note, you might want to try trail mix, flax or something of that nature as well.

Good day.

pete lohstroh
22nd October 2001, 04:22
It's worth nothing that protein bars are heavily processed and some have undesirable additives. I've never understood why health conscious people eat these sort of thing when it's so easy to prepare chicken breasts or salmon which contain additional micro-nutrients.

By the way, soy derived protein preparations are loaded with phyto-estrogens which may promote tumor growth and interfere with androgens (among other things).

SilkSeaWater
23rd October 2001, 21:34
Is to eat tinned fish, shellfish or chicken. They have less of the added bad stuff and more of the natural protien you are after. The are also portable like the bars.

luihu
24th October 2001, 15:50
Nowadays you can have cancer or tumors just by eating bread..;)
I hope you can see the joke Pete.

József Pap

pete lohstroh
25th October 2001, 00:57
You mean the joke about the bread in europe being loaded with strontium from Chernobyl?

Never heard it!

Tinned fish and shellfish also raise some alarm, depending on their point of harvest...

While it is true that toxicological "risk assessment" can be taken to absurd heights, we all need to be realistic about taking unnecessary risks. I personally think that processed foods pose a greater hazard than smoking.

There are some things I wish I didn't know.....

luihu
25th October 2001, 10:42
I just meant, that almost every day you can read from some newspaper, that something causes cancer. After that all the tabloids are yelling: Do not eat bread etc, IT WILL KILL YOU!!:laugh:
One of these debates in last few years has been about eggs. Are they good for you or not? I think that "science" has changed its mind at least 3-4 times in same amount of years.
Anyway I had to agree with you on issue of minimizung unnecessary risks, but with our western way of life it is impossible to avoid all the foods, that aren´t good for you. So I don´t worry about my protein shakes, cos I also eat meat, use margarin on my bread (which is another good example of healthiness of some products) and even take a risk of eating sausages, even if I don´t, and definately do not want to, know all the things that they contain.
(Note: following arguments aren´t too serious)
Besides, natural life lasts about 40-50 years, all after that is just bonus, that comes along with our lifestyle. Also you have to remember, that if take long enough period of time, everyones probability of surviving is zero.
:laugh:

József Pap

SilkSeaWater
25th October 2001, 15:52
We are, I suppose, getting off topic. Either way, the devil in most bread isn't the wheat or other grain but rather the ultra-processed, whitened wheat.

You are certainly right about science continually flip-flopping on a subject. This is so constant, I'm amazed that anyone knows what to eat.

Basically I think the big four bad-guys are (drum-roll): White Flour, White Sugar, Excessive Alcohol (moderation is fine), Excessive Animal Fat (again, moderation is fine).

But hey, what do I know?

I think if you eat a balanced diet of natural foods, excersize, get adequate sleep, pratice good hygiene and have a balanced spiritual/mental life - life will be good and last longer. Just my two cents.

Later.

pete lohstroh
25th October 2001, 21:42
You're all correct!
Even "food for thought" is deadly in the right dose.

joe yang
26th October 2001, 04:54
"Brown Rice Rules" Also, eat lots of junk too, but don't eat cheap junk.

fox
7th November 2001, 13:52
Regarding health concerns, eating margarine will kill you faster than anything. Use natural butter. Do you know what Oleo is? It's goo artificial butter in a squirt bottle, and what margarine is made from. But it's softer than mustard even, so they thicken it with saturated fats, more than regular butter has.

Also, eggs are fine. They have a high HDL to LDL cholesterol content, especially these fancy new Omega-3 ones that cost twice as much. If you ate tons of high-HDL foods, you'd be fine, as it sweeps the LDL that clogs your arteries with each passing minute away. This is from a Dr. Atkins fan (he advocates high protein, low carbohydrate diets). After all, almost everything Americans eat (breads, pastas, soft drinks, potato-based foods, etc.) is either full of sugar or practically sugar, as starches require very little work to break down into sugar.

Sugar is evil,
Fox :karatekid

SilkSeaWater
7th November 2001, 15:23
You'll have me agreement on this one: Sugar is the devil.

It's also important to find out all the interesting places where it hides in our diet. :smash:

cindy
8th November 2001, 21:23
although its not a common problem there are people who are allergic to soy, such as myself. these power bars are nothing more than anaphylactic shock in a small package. i get my protein from nuts, cows, fish, and yardbirds. for quick energy boosts i make juice so that i can absorb nutrients through the lining of my stomach and large intestin quickly due to the food being in such small particles. i guess i'm lucky i'm allergic to soy because its in almost all junk food which prevents me from eating it and necessitates my having to stick with whole food.:eek: