PDA

View Full Version : Jikishin-ryu Ju-jutsu

Hans Bachmann
16th October 2001, 13:32
Hello,

Does anyone know where I can find some information on Jikishin-ryu Ju-jutsu?

Thanks,

Hans Bachmann

fifthchamber
16th October 2001, 16:13
Hello,
Probably the best sites to search for information on the Jikishin ryu is www.koryu.com as they have a whole ryu-ha list and an excellent search engine that is sure to come up with something.. I was not sure if you meant the Kage ryu or the Jikishin ryu (which I have not heard of..) so can only really direct you to the website..You can be sure of finding something there though.
Good luck in your search.
Abayo.

Hans Bachmann
16th October 2001, 16:46
Hello,

I looked on the site that you suggested, and it only mentions Jikishin Kage ryu kenjutsu. The system that I am looking for is a jujutsu system that took the name Judo, about 250 years before Jigaro Kano founded Kodokan Judo.

Thanks,

Hans Bachmann

johan smits
18th October 2001, 08:18
Hello Hans,

I think you can find some info on the jikishin ryu in a book by Serge Mol, A complete guide to koryu jujutsu published by Kodansha.

Best Regards,

Johan Smits

Hans Bachmann
18th October 2001, 13:28
Yes I just heard about that book, and it's on order.

Thanks!

Hans Bachmann

Yamantaka
20th October 2001, 00:15
Originally posted by Hans Bachmann
Hello,
I looked on the site that you suggested, and it only mentions Jikishin Kage ryu kenjutsu. The system that I am looking for is a jujutsu system that took the name Judo, about 250 years before Jigaro Kano founded Kodokan Judo.
Thanks,
Hans Bachmann

YAMANTAKA : I seem to remember that the Jikishin Kage was a comprehensive system with Kenjutsu, jujutsu and a few other arts and more recently it lost its jujutsu part. I really think it's the same art.
You should write to www.koryu.com and ask directly Meik and Diane Skoss. They're very nice people and I'm sure they'll answer you.
Best

MarkF
21st October 2001, 12:33
Jikkishin-ryu is an old school of kito-ryu and was mainly an un armed system, though obviously, for its time, it surely had weapons kata, but it isn't jikishin kage. Different schools altogether.

This was the first school (as we know of today) which used the concept of ran in its teachings, and also include the term judo in its name, Jikishin-ryu judo, at first called jiu no michi by Kano.

Look into kitoryu and it should be found somewhere.

Here is something of it's history for a book to be:

Originally Kano called this combined system of physical culture and moral training jiu-no-michi, or the pliable way. Later, though, he took to calling it “Kodokan judo.” The “Kodokan” portion meant “A Hall to Study the Way.” The original Kodokan was a philosophy academy in Ibaraki Prefecture, and although Kano’s ideograms were different, the term still alluded to Meiji-era self-improvement. As for “judo,” it was an older Jikkishin-ryu jujutsu term that showed, as Kano later wrote, that “what I taught was not a dangerous thing, nor would it needlessly injure any person.”
Of course, to spread these methods and ideas Kano first had to have students and a place to teach them. So, in June 1882 he started a dojo in space belonging to a Buddhist temple located in the Shitaya district of Tokyo. Around April 1883 the dojo moved to Kano’s home, apparently because of complaints about the noise.

I hope this helps a little.

Mark

Hans Bachmann
21st October 2001, 17:13
It does.

Thanks a lot guys!

Hans Bachmann