PDA

View Full Version : Kotodama in Funakogi Undo: how shouting?

giovanni de cesare
16th October 2001, 17:29
Hallo to all E-Budo readers.
My name is Giovanni De Cesare.
I would like to pose some questions about the practice of Kotodama in the movement called Funakogi Undo (or Torifune). I perform this movement in this way:
First time: left foot forward, when the body move forward, and the arms extends forward, I shout HO. When the body move back, and the arms retracts, I shout EI. Rhythm is slow. Then follow Tama no Hireburi (or Furutama).
Second time: right foot forward, when the body move forward I shout SA. When the body move back I shout EI. Rhythm is normal. Then follow Furutama.
Third time: left foot forward, when the body move forward I shout SA. When the body move back I shout EI. Rhythm is fast. Then follow Furutama for the last time.
Is there anybody doing this exercise in the same way or in a different one? And if in a different way, please tell me how you shout.
Many thanks for yours attention
Giovanni De Cesare

fury
22nd October 2001, 07:22
Hi Giovanni,

We also do Funakogi Undo as our first warm-up activity.

We start with left foot forward, and rhythm is constant.
When moving forward, extending arms out at waist level, we say ( or shout ) Hei ( or Ei depending on you level of japanese).

Moving our arms back to our hips we say Ho. So it is a rowing movment while shouting Ei-Ho..

We then switch to right foot forward, again moving our arms at constant speed, this time saying Ei-Sa.

I am not sure of the Tama no Hireburi you mentioned, but the activity we do after Funakogi Undo is to clasp our hands at waist height, left hand over right and shake them up and down. There is a chant that is said quietly 3 times in Japanese while doing this. I cannot type it out here, but I can have it transcribed by my instructor as she is the one who says it :-)

My understanding of the purpose of these activities is all about sending vibrations through you body. Its a good way to clear your mind and try to relax too.....

Hope this helps,

szczepan
22nd October 2001, 12:16
Please be very careful with all these vibrations and shamanism....if you send too much vibrations to your body, you can very easy destroy your brain basic functions...

And kotodama can't work for no-japanese ppl, cos our prononciation is very wrong...

Mike Collins
24th October 2001, 01:16
Szczepan,

You sing or hum in the shower a lot don't you?

szczepan
24th October 2001, 02:40
Basicaly I'm singing in the rain....but not Ei-sa or Ei-ho :nono:

Rather:

what can we do with a drunked sailor
what can we do with a drunked sailor

what can we do with a drunked sailor early in the morning..... :beer:

Ron Tisdale
24th October 2001, 14:45
Now *that* was funny! I can just see it now...oh no! I'm blind!

Ron Tisdale :)