PDA

View Full Version : Damn I'm Sore But Man I Feel GREAT!!!

luar
17th October 2001, 03:17
This has been a really weird year for me in terms of my health and injuries. I had a serious respiratory infection that kept me from practice for almost two months and I hurt my back that kept me out most of the summer - and it happened just before I was test for my brown belt.

I just got back in to it two weeks, taking it as easy as possible since I still have some stiffness in my back and I have to tell you that the stretching exercises are really really losening me up. I am also in physical therapy, which involves yoga-like treatment but my insurance will only pay for weekly sessions and its hard to do this stuff alone.

My only problem right now is kicking where I have to be very careful how I throw my kick and to make sure I do so in a relax state.

Tonight I came out of practice and it was quite a workout but I tell you that I feel incredibly loose all over. Soon I'll be ready to go back to my macarena lessons. Wooo Hooo!!!

colin linz
17th October 2001, 11:33
Luar,

How’s your back handling the training? Do you still experience back pain? The stretching and Yoga will work well, but if you still are having problems ask your Physio about some exercises to target the Transverse Abdominus, and the Multifidus. These are the main stabilisers for the back, and in most cases of lower back injury they will shut down for a period of time. This will cause them to lose condition.

One of the best workouts I’ve found for me is with a Swiss Ball. If your interested in a copy of the work out, or a copy of a very good exercise to target the Transverse Abdominus e-mail me and I’ll send them.

It is vital to have good core stability, not only because it helps reduce or eliminate back pain, but because it provides a strong foundation for all the other forces going through the body. When your body senses that it lacks stability to a joint it limits the amount of power available to it. Having good core stability allows you to make more use of your strength, even if your in a less than ideal position to apply it.

Cheers
Colin

luar
17th October 2001, 13:34
Gassho:

Thank you so much for your concern and advise which is similar to what I am doing now.

I did an MRI and it was a pinched nerve which means I have this shooting ghost pain in my leg as well as little sensation or feeling in the legs. Simply put, it looks like Siatica and I think this came about from a combination of a fall I had this past spring and not training properly. I was very much bed ridden a good part of the summer and joked arouns that my bicycle was becomming my wheelchair since I could not stand on my feet for long periods of time - note that I live in Manhattan where you are always on your feet.

At this moment, it is no longer a nerve pain as much as muscular which means it is getting better.

Now it is the next day after I started this post and I slept like bear in hibernation. My body feels very rubbery and I do feel my soreness. I will need to do some light stretching to work that out but I am glad to say all is well.

Thanks Again

Raul Rodriguez
NYC Shorinji Kempo
"Reporting live from Ground Zero"