PDA

View Full Version : Judo in Alabama

Randy Engle
17th October 2001, 21:06
My name is Randall Engle. I live in Gadsden, Alabama, about 50 miles north of Birmingham. I train in Bujinkan Budo Taijutsu/ Ninjutsu. I have also cross-trained in Judo, Brazilian Jiu Jitsu, and Shinjitai Jiu Jitsu.

I love Judo. It is a great martial sport, and I enjoy doing it. I would like to know if there are any dojo near me. If you are in Alabama and would like to train or wouldn't mind me training with you sometime, please contact me at budo_gadsden@hotmail.com or call me at 256-328-4034.

Thanks and God Bless.

Randy Engle
Gadsden Bujinkan Dojo

MarkF
18th October 2001, 08:58
Hey, Randy,
I couldn't find a judo dojo in your town ONLINE, but it doesn't mean they don't exist. I'd get out the phonebook, call the YMCA closest to you, Parks and Recs, etc.

But this is a good link to try. I did find judo in Montgomery, but it seems you may have to travel some, not necessarily Montgomery, but they are their guaranteed.

In the mean time, here is a dojo list:

http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&q=judo+alabama+dojo+list&btnG=Google+Search

For the most up to date, I would give a holler to the judo orgs in the US, the legitimate ones, USA judo inc., the USJF, and the USJA.

They certainly can provide you with those closest to you, but keep in mind many are not on the web, or are on a list of dojo of other clubs.

Good luck! I hope this helps some.

Mark

BTW: Here is one which claims to be *very* complete:

www.louisiana.edu/Student/Organizations/Judo/judolinks.html

Randy Engle
18th October 2001, 22:40
I knew of the one in Montgomery, but I know for a fact that there aren't any dojo in my town. As a matter of fact, there are only three dojo in my hometown.
One Taekwondo school, my sensei's Ninjutsu dojo, and my Ninjutsu dojo.

Anyway, I was just looking for somewhere I could train with other open-minded people. If you know anything else, please let me know. I appreciate your advice as well!

God Bless,
Randy Engle
Gadsden Bujinkan Dojo:nin:

Mark Barlow
21st October 2001, 00:15
While our focus is Jujitsu, all of the senior instructors in Akayama-Ryu Jujitsu are also black belts in Judo. Richard Worthington Sensei in Birmingham, Mark Burton in New Orleans and myself also have a good deal of competition experience.
Jujitsu standing technique usually varies from Judo in the grips, entrance, direction of kuzushi and use of atemi, but you'll find enough similarity to make it worth your time and effort. You are always welcome to attend one of Worthington Sensei's Saturday morning classes and if you find yourself in Gulf Shores, come join my students and me for a workout.

MarkF
21st October 2001, 08:45
Have you done a Google.com search for them? There are many pages of hits, when I entered "Judo Alabama" as search words. Using the cache really gives you what you want, or quickly tells you it is not the one you want.

Entering "jujutsu alabama or "jujitsu alabama" would give you even more. Searches take less than a second in most cases, and sometimes less than half a second so click
here (http://www.google.com) unless you've all ready explored.

Mark

I hope this helps some.

BTW: My town is in similar straights when it comes to MA, especially judo. In fact, the only dojo which has been around the longest is a semiprivate club with Jesse Ballou as instructor. Mine, and one other, must close down parts of the year, and right now, we are about to open as it closed due to a lack of interest since Sept. 11. But that is pretty normal for many dojo here in New Mexico, so it goes with the territory, the "Land of Entrapment."

Greg Jennings
30th October 2001, 15:06
Originally posted by MarkF
But this is a good link to try. I did find judo in Montgomery, but it seems you may have to travel some, not necessarily Montgomery, but they are their guaranteed.

The website for the Judo club in Montgomery has been dead for years.

I train in an aikido dojo in Montgomery and have been trying to track down the Judo club for quite some time. We have a nice dojo that is under-used and I wanted to offer them the use of our space (for freebies).

If you have current contact info for the Montgomery Judo Club, please get in touch with me at jenningsgreg@home.com .

Regards,