PDA

View Full Version : books to supplement training

stevemcgee99
18th October 2001, 04:13
I joined a dojo recently, and am getting great intstruction. For the six days between classes, I want to practice. I find books helpful to me in my learning of many subjects, but there isn't any manual in Ko To Ei Re Ryu on the webites i've been surfing. So these are my questions:

Can I expect to fnd info and photos to help me visualize the right movements in any book? Like will a Sei Tei Gata book work for me if I study Koto Ei Re Ryu? What about a book on MJER or Muso Shinden, will they be about the same and acceptable to use for my study?

What particular books do you recommend? I will get Autumn Lightning as my sensei suggests.

Thanks for participating in this site.
Thanks for any help,
Steve McGee

Mark Brecht
18th October 2001, 07:37
Please check the following thread:

Muso Jikiden Eishin Ryu: Books and Videos ! MJER Iaido Kyohan by Mitani... (http://204.95.207.136/vbulletin/showthread.php?s=&postid=72674#post72674)

We can provide you with a variety of new and rare books/videos about sword arts directly from Japan.

I hope this helps.

Neil Hawkins
19th October 2001, 02:02
Steve,

As always, there is the disclaimer about not being able to really learn anything from books.

In the the early stages of instruction I would not recommend reading or watching anything too technical as this is likely to either confuse you or detract from the instruction given in class. By all means read history or philosophy pertaining to the sword, and yes Autumn Lightning is a very good book. But consentrate your practice on the stuff already given you by your instructor.

If you really want to practice more, perhaps approach your instructor and ask him if there are any senior students that he will allow you to practice with between classes. You should always ask permission, as some seniors love to get new students and teach them, but this instruction is not always approved by the school or in your best long term interests.

Remember that it takes many years to absorb the nuances of Japanese swordsmanship and there is no hurry, take your time and practice what is taught diligently, without trying to accelerate the learning. You will probably find that the instructor will increase your training when he feels that you are ready.

Regards

Neil