PDA

View Full Version : Tradition or not tradition,that is the question !

HARDBALL
17th July 2000, 01:19
Hello all,
I am new to this site as of 7/16/2000. I am also new to the state of Maine (greater Portland area). I am very interested in traditional Jujitsu (not Judo). I visited a local dojo and had a long conversation with the Sensi who I found to be very nice and well informed. Although he was only 32 years old,he has been studying for some 20 years. I discussed my concern about wanting to learn a "complete" Martial Art,and learned that this Jujitsu system covered all the bases,i.e. Strikes,kicks,locks,sweeps,throws,grappeling,etc.
I am very interested in a traditional class of this type however,the problem is the cost,which is $90.00 a month for two lesson a week. Now I admit it has been a long time since I've studied but,$90.00 a month is a lot of money!
As much as I wish to study a traditional Jujitsu system,I may have to go with another dojo who's instructor (who was traditional in a number of Arts) now teaches a "Mixed Arts" system,which I am to understand is indeed a very very good dojo,who's students speak very highly of this mans system which consist of Boxing,kicking,and grappeling;and the cost is $60.00 a month for six days a week. I love tradition but... The instructor of the now "Mixed Arts" is well versed in Karates,Jujitsu,etc. and is very well known here in Maine. Your thoughts please.

Kolschey
17th July 2000, 01:36
Greetings,

It seems that you were pleased with the character of the traditional jujutsu instructor, as you described him as "very nice and well informed" While the students of the other teacher speak highly of his skills, it seems that you have not had the opportunity to evalute his personality in person as thouroughly as the first gentleman. Please correct me if I have misread. I believe that it is important that you have the means to evaluate the character of both instructors on a more equal basis from first hand experience before making a decision.
By the way, we ask that members please sign their posts with their full name. Many thanks!

[Edited by Kolschey on 07-16-2000 at 07:40 PM]

HARDBALL
17th July 2000, 01:57
Dear Kolschey,
I was not very clear in my last post. I did in fact talk to Mixed Arts instructor on more than one occation. He is also a very nice and well informed instructor. I guess it just might be a time for a change from traditional tradition.

andre joseph
17th July 2000, 02:23
On th e true warriors path money,an distance with in reason is no real obstical.It is better to pay more for the skills that may save your life.I can not say forsure this is best for you I can only tell you of what I have learned.I have learned varius arts over the years,an the tradional jujitsu that I study is far more superior than the teakwondo,karate,are kungfu I've seen.But every teacher is his own self.Plus if you are only in it for fun then whatever.

Walker
18th July 2000, 19:56
Have you asked the instructor and or dojo manager if the $90/month is firm? Perhaps there may be options for new students or the need for skills you could contribute to the dojo. Our dojo trades tuition for a deshi/handiman position and that individual could not afford to train otherwise.

HARDBALL
18th July 2000, 22:39
Walker,
Good point. I plug that into the equation.

thanks, Tom Patrick

BrianV
19th July 2000, 21:32
Hi Tom,
I do not find the $90.00 to be an obscene amount, but I would want to know all of the ins and outs of the contract.
Do they both charge for gradings? How much? Are taxes to be levied in your state? Who pays them? You may find the costs are not all that different.
By the way, I have paid a whole lot more than that for some primo instruction and feel that I got a bargain.
A knowledgeable instructor is beyond price, and when you find one that teaches an art in line with what you want, is the extra 30 dollars that big of a deal?
Ask yourself, what is the difference really. The cost of a steak dinner for one, once a month. Sure changes my perspective.

Respectfully submitted,
Brian.

HARDBALL
19th July 2000, 22:49
Dear Brian V,
While I agree with you in theory,unfortunately money is a big factor. Mainly because,I don't have any. Due to my situation (at present I am without a job). My inquiries about seeking instruction is in the hopes that my situation changes. As far a steak,uhhhhhh? I eat a lot of beans,rice,pasta,eggs,bread,some stew meat, some fruit and veggies,etc. I know how to eat cheap. I only hope that I am successful again this year at Deer hunting (Bow Hunting). I filled my freezer with Venison (got a 150# Doe) and it lasted me from about Oct. to May. It has been a very difficult past few years, I moved from Los Angeles to Nashville,TN,moved again in TN,moved from TN to RI and from RI to Maine. Its is not cheap here in Maine. I can't find a job that doesn't want my life! i.e. Nights,Holidays,weekends,split shifts,on call, 12 hour days,etc. I have been out of real work for almost a year. I haven't a "Career" background,just General. I hope it gets better. I would like to study again someday.
As for now,the best I can do is the gym which cost $19.95 a month. I am lucky that I have a wife with a good job least I'd be living in my Van down by the river!

ghp
23rd July 2000, 18:03
Tom,

I am lucky that I have a wife with a good job least I'd be living in my Van down by the river!

Ensure you express this to your wife! She certainly deserves a lot of praise during this hard time in your life. My wife also saved my life after a tough transition from military to civilian life. Although she does not like to be reminded of that time, she fairly glows when I thank her for staying by me. I'll bet your wife would also appreciate hearing it from you (you probably tell her -- but I bet she'll still appreciate it).

In the meantime -- if $20 / month is all you can afford for the fitness center, stay with it. It sounds to me that you don't have lots of "disposable" income; and let's face it, budo is a "want" and not a "need" at this point in your life. You have to satisfy the basic physiological needs first. After that, then you progress up the pyramid to affiliating with others (see Maslow's "Hierarchy of Needs" chart below)

1) Physiological: hunger, thirst, bodily comforts, etc.;

2) Safety/security: out of danger;

3) Belonginess and Love: affiliate with others, be accepted; and

4) Esteem: to achieve, be competent, gain approval and recognition.

http://www.valdosta.edu/~whuitt/psy702/regsys/maslow.html

I tell my students that they must always put their families first, regardless of what they want to do. After your life settles down you should then look towards budo.

Good luck and regards,
Guy

ericDZR
24th July 2000, 22:31
my advice is keep looking...one of my friends once told me that finding a ma school that's right for you is like buying shoes. some look nice but don't fit, some are the right price but don't look nice...you get the idea. i messed around with a few different types of ma since i was 14, (29 now) none of which felt "right". then maybe two years ago i started to really reseach what was out there. it took me almost a year but i finally found what i was looking for. it's well worth the wait.
-eric sterner

HARDBALL
26th July 2000, 23:29
Dear GHP,
Thanks for the kind words and advice. You bet I do thank my wife all the time. We have been together since we were 16 and 17 years old. I am now 45 years old. Man, it goes fast. I am sure my situation will change for the better soon. Thanks you again for your support. Respectfully,
Tom.