PDA

View Full Version : Judo training -> overall fighting

Tuomas
24th October 2001, 12:15
A strange thought has presented itself in my head every once in a while.

I've met some of Finlands top judoka and they've teached me some lessons. What I've noted on some occasions is that these very proficient judokas seem to know exactly how to do boxing and kicking, all kinds of locks and everything that's not within the curriculum of judo.

When I've asked, they've said that they've not trained in different MA and that what they know is from a lifetime of fighting judo full contact. Kata wasn't given much credit.

This, me being a lowly 4-kyu, baffles me. Any insights on wether being very proficient in one MA gives you at least above-normal proficiency in a different MA?

Charlie Kondek
24th October 2001, 15:51
Well, aside from the fact that there are strikes and kicks in judo, and that perhaps your friends picked up some techniques during the "brainstorming" that sometimes happens in any dojo where people start simply showing each other techniques, I'd say that, yes, proficiency or familarity in any MA prepares you somewhat for other MAs. I've laid hands on a few karate-ka that could trip me and throw me. Interesting question, Tuomas!

Ben Reinhardt
25th October 2001, 02:35
Good Judo training produces a lot of the attributes that make a good overall fighter. I've gone to different Karate, Arnis de Mano, etc. seminars and classes and found that, after 20 years in Judo, it's all pretty easy to pick up and add to my collection of techniques. One very important attribute or attitude is the lack of fear of contact, and the ability to close with an opponent rapidly.

I've sparred in different forms of Karate and TaeKwondo and found that I did very well with minimal training. I'm sure your Finnish teachers have had the same or similar experiences.

Ben Reinhardt

efb8th
3rd November 2001, 16:04
Hi, All.

You're right on the money, Ben. It's always the same thing we come back to in Judo--"Maximum efficiency." The longer we stay in training, whether physical, scholastic or esoteric, the more we see that there is only one lesson. It's just too big to be aware of in the beginning.

Regards,

kusanku
9th November 2001, 03:38
Got to agree with Ed , everything you need to know, you learn in basic Judo.

Think about it this way, Taiso, body conditioning;ukemi, breakfalling , also excellent for learning to take blows and shock, including unexpectedly:D;tai sabaki, to avoid, evade, and get position,footwork to make the whole body alignment work for a technique, behind a technique,and unbalancing, fit in, execute, follow through, you know, the whole kuzushi, kake, kuzure, kaboom thing:-).

Throws, locks, holds, blows taught in self dfefense, counters, reversals, kicks, defenses against them, matwork, transitions, pretty much a whole package, analysis of ones own and ones opponent's technical structure, strengths and weaknesses, what else is there, it's in there.

Everything you need to know, about fighting, self defense, or contest, is in judo, and the lesson is always taught, right from the beginning. Maximum efficiency with minimum effort.

Judo-it's the Right Thing to Do.:-)And Taiji can help sometimes to heal those injuries.:-)
Take care, all-