PDA

View Full Version : Yagyu Shingan basics translation.

fifthchamber
24th October 2001, 16:01
Hello all,
I have recently aquired a copy of the Yagyu Shingan Ryu Hei Jutsu book from Sasuga books ( www.sasugabooks.com )
and was wondering if any one could help with a small translation. The phrase is "Ten no Buri" ..Buri being formed by the kanji for "to shake, to drop, lose..(SHIN, or FU) and "Ri" by using the Hiragana for 'ri'. I have heard the phrase but so far all I have been able to work it out as is "Shaking the Heavens" I am sure that this is not correct but as my Japanese is not good it is the best that I have come up with...Too literal I think..
Any help here would be appreciated.
Domo Arigato.
Ben.

George Kohler
24th October 2001, 17:43
This same kanji could also be used as swing or wave. The phrase you are refering to, on page 34, means to "swing to heaven. " As you notice the person is swinging his arms towards the sky.

fifthchamber
26th October 2001, 11:36
Hello all,
Thanks for the translation. I thought I had it down wrong...Oh well.
I am also aware that the best way to train the art is simply to do it as described by my Sensei but I have an interest in many forms of Budo (Koryu especially) and anything that I can use to widen my overall knowledge of the systems that I practise and have interest in is useful to me.
The general wealth of books in Japanese on the subject is awesome but in England at least it can be near impossible to get information on these older traditions especially.
Thanks for your help and advice.
Domo arigato gozaimashita.