PDA

View Full Version : Haemophila & Self Defence...

lokibaphomet
26th October 2001, 09:31
Hope I've got the right forum for this query........anyways, my youngest nephew (4) has haemophila - a hereditary bleeding disorder (unfortunately, it also seems that our family is prone to severe cases :mad: ). So, obviously he can't do major training................also he's a bit young to start now anyways! But, being a good uncle, I'm planning ahead :D .

Are there any MA's that would be suitable for him to learn, mainly as a self defence? Hopefully he won't be in any situations where he'd have to defend himself, but it's not a perfect world.

One idea that's been raised, is to teach him the kata from my MA, and possibly Tai Chi.

Obviously this is assuming he'll want to do a MA!

Any help with this would be much appreciated.

lokibaphomet
29th October 2001, 01:47
Sorry for the stupid question........but what does "Taiji " mean? Practising a MA that's pretty much australiasian, we don't come across many Japanese words............aside from the Kata names, which are mainly referred to in english!

Kimpatsu
29th October 2001, 05:57
Hi, Lokibaphomet, and welcome to e-budo :wave:
I don't think you can force your nephew to learn a style if he prefers another. So long as appropriate precautions are taken, he should be able to learn anything he chooses, within reason (I think that Thai Boxing may be out). He could learn Shorinji Kempo without too much risk, and provided he brings a supply of Factor 8 to training, he should be OK regardless. Good on you for checking and planning ahead, though.
PS* Are you by any chance related to the Tsars of Russia? They were all haemophiliacs as well, if memory serves.
Best,

lokibaphomet
29th October 2001, 20:29
Thanks heaps for the replys.........is food for thought. :toast:

Your definetly right about not forcing him into a style if he wants to do another.........and about the tai boxing as well!

Don't think we're related to the Tsars of Russia.........but then again nobodies actually been able to work out where we came from to get to NZ! :confused:

Joe Kras
8th November 2001, 16:16
Originally posted by Kimpatsu
...So long as appropriate precautions are taken, he should be able to learn anything he chooses, within reason (I think that Thai Boxing may be out). He could learn Shorinji Kempo without too much risk, and provided he brings a supply of Factor 8 to training, he should be OK regardless.

Hi, Sean,

While any art can have the percussive aspects (which would, of course, be the most likely to cause harm)stripped from them in order for a person with a factor deficiency to train safely, I think your original idea is probably the best.

The ability to "roll with the punch" is better taught via Taiji (IMO) than most percussive arts. A sincere study of kata will serve to supplement the sticky hands exercises common to most Taiji schools.

Factor 8 (or any of the other factors), as you probably know, is not given on a routine basis in order to allow a person to partake in sports or other activities in which a high likelihood of injury is present. This is mainly because of the low risk of infection (much improved since many unfortunate hemopheliacs contracted HIV in the 80's, but still present) and the risk of immune reactions to foreign antigens. Thus factor or cryoprecipitate replacement is given prophylactically only for surgery and dental extractions, as far as I know.

Regards,

Joe Kras
St. Louis, MO USA