PDA

View Full Version : The State of Hand Gun Training Today

joe yang
30th October 2001, 23:38
We finished a two day "training session" in firearms today, for a rookie class of Corrections Officers. SCARY. I long ago decided that we aren't training anyone to shoot. We are just weeding out the shooters from the non-shooters. The problem is, with each passing year, fewer and fewer people come to us knowing how to shoot.

I learned the traditional, rural American way. I grew up around firearms, hunting and an extended family that re-enforced all the traditional safety rules. That way of life is gone. My kids never knew it. As they grew, I tried to distill a lifetime of experience for them. They can shoot and handle guns. But it isn't the same. Grand Dad, the cousins, uncles, great uncles are gone.

It seems like the kids who need to know how to use guns today, our future cops, etc., are clueless. They are getting firearms light. A lot of practical tradition and common sense are getting lost to the KISS principle so favored by administrative bean counters. Techniques I take for granted are anathema today.

I'm not sure where I'm going with this, but "legitimate" handgun training is starting to look more and more like bad budo to me.

Steven Malanosk
31st October 2001, 03:06
Yes, it is unfortunate, that these days, most of the adolesants think that KENTUCKY WINDAGE is a southern weather report.

Regardless of what many may say or think, a lot of the gun accidents prominant today, are a result of poor or no training, during younger years.

This brings to mind, the age old Marine Corps adage:

Its not the dope on the weapon, its the dope behind the weapon.

DOPE = windage and elevation settings, on the M16 rifle, for those of you who dont speak GUN.:up:

TommyK
31st October 2001, 04:35
Greetings,

I am just re-reading a copy of Col. Jeff Cooper's "To Ride, SHoot Straight and To Tell the Truth". You should re-read what he wrote about the state of homegrown/military/ and law enforcement pistoleros. Wow!!! By the way, he also called some of the current world political situations today in the beginning of that book.

It appears that we all have a lot to learn about pistolcraft and his opinions on the 9mm and other such inefficient calibers is also interesting. But what do you expect when you talk 2nd amendment and people blankly respond, "..er...oh yeah, that one guarntees the State National Guard, right?"

Regards,
TommyK