PDA

View Full Version : books

dainippon99
18th July 2000, 03:54
please oh please can someone recommend a god book on aikido? the well hath run dry for me and i really need a fix. Thanks.

Budoka
18th July 2000, 21:38
<i>Budo</i>, by Morihei Ueshiba.

<i>Living Aikido</i>, Bruce Klickstein, one of my favorites.

<i>Takemusu Aikido</i> special edition of Budo, Morihiro Saito.

The entire <i>Takemusu Aikido</i> volumes, also by Saito Sensei.

For a good story, <i>In Search of the Warrior Spirit</i>, by Richard Strozzi Heckler, it's a page turner, especially for anyone who's prior service.

<i>Giving in to get your way</i>, by Walter "Terry" Dobson.

<i>It's a lot like dancing</i> edited excepts of Terry Dobsons speeches/writings.

I guess it depends on if your looking for technique or mindset. I've given you a breadth of both. Saotome has a good book, and Shirata Rinjiro's book was my first introduction to Aikido.

Good luck.

--

Jared Riggs

DJM
18th July 2000, 23:06
You have to remember one of the best (okay, okay, my experience of Aikido books is somewhat limited ;)) books out there -
Aikido and the Dynamic Sphere by A. Westbrook and O. Ratti...

Peace,
David

Tony Peters
18th July 2000, 23:40
Carol Schifflet's two books are also quite good. They both deal with aikido from a Ki society POV however even if this isn't your flavor they are good books to have.

Eric L. Spoonhunter
19th July 2000, 04:08
I'm glad this topic came up...

While I cannot recommend a "god" book ;) on Aikido,In terms of Yoshinkan Aikido, my [english] list is:

1. Dynamic Aikido (Shioda)

2. Total Aikido (Shioda)

3. Yoshinkan Aikido Introduction to Basic Techniques, Vol. I (Yoshinkan Instructor's Staff)

I hope somebody else can add to the list...

[Edited by Eric L. Spoonhunter on 07-18-2000 at 11:11 PM]

George Ledyard
19th July 2000, 04:47
Originally posted by dainippon99
please oh please can someone recommend a god book on aikido? the well hath run dry for me and i really need a fix. Thanks.
As the choices seem to differ from the ones I would make her's my "A" list:

Aikido and the Harmony of Nature by Saotome Sensei

The Spiritual Foundations of Aikido by William Gleason Sensei

Abundant Peace (or Invincible Warrior) by John Stevens

These are not technique books. I think that videos are far more useful for technical info. But these three books have enough to think about to last you for years. I haven't read it yet but I suspect that Stan Pranin's biography of Deguchi of the Omotokyo would be very useful for understanding how O-sensei thought about what he did.

Gil Gillespie
20th July 2000, 02:58
Thank you, George

Ditto, huge 10-4. Your singling of those 3 books says a lot as to why your posts are always so well written, stone on the issue, and worth remembering. I include Saotome's first book (Aikido & Harmony of Nature) along with Musashi's 5 Rings as books I keep in a constant state of rereading. I would offer Saotome Sensei's second book The Principles of Aikido as a thought-provoker. As many times as I've reread it it seems to feature analyses of techniques while titling principles. It is directly connected to my offering the topic, "Ikkyo: Technique or Principle?"

I just keep training. I still keep reading.

Tony Peters
20th July 2000, 03:18
Originally posted by George Ledyard

These are not technique books. I think that videos are far more useful for technical info. But these three books have enough to think about to last you for years. I haven't read it yet but I suspect that Stan Pranin's biography of Deguchi of the Omotokyo would be very useful for understanding how O-sensei thought about what he did.

The first two I'll agree are quite good as I own both and found them to be extreamly thought provoking however my copy of Abundant Peace can from a used bookstore and went right back within a week, Maybe I've read too much of John Stevens work but with the exception of "The sword of no sword," it all seems the same. My personal favorite three are

Budo: Training in Aikido By M. Ueshiba

Aikido exercises for teaching and training By Carol Shifflitt

AikiTom
20th July 2000, 04:01
I agree with George's picks, all 3 good! The Saotome and Gleason books are worth a lifetime of pondering. They're worth returning to periodically, and as we grow in understanding, it's amazing the things you see that you didn't before! (I look forward to lots more as I'm not anywhere near understanding it all!)
For all-round greatness to me, though, "The Dynamic Sphere" is it, it you could only have one book.
Try this one - it was the second aikido book I got right after "TDS." An anthology edited by Heckler called "Aikido & The New Warrior."
"Aikido in America" is very narrative and easy reading, yet contains more real history than many "history" books on aikido, I believe.
Have fun!

Mark Jakabcsin
2nd August 2000, 21:20
"Judo and Aikido" by Kenji Tomiki. Very hard to find since it has been out of print for a long time but if you read carefully there is a wealth of insight and information in his words.

mark

aikiwiz
3rd August 2000, 07:15
" Aikido: Heart and Sword" by Andre Nocquet is good for the philosophy of aikido. Nocquet Sensei was the first western uchi deshi I believe.

Neil Hawkins
3rd August 2000, 09:49
For a slightly different perspective try "In search of the warrior spirit" by Richard Strozzi Heckler. He tries to teach Aikido to US Army Rangers, and discovers some things about himself and them. I enjoyed it immensly.

Neil

Dennis Hooker
3rd August 2000, 12:59
Speaking as on old scuffed up grandpa of and Aikidoka. I say this with a straight face and no humor intended. I say it for those that have trained for a while. A great Aikido book is “The Velveteen Rabbit”. Several years ago, hell several decades ago after a rather unpleasant, tense, and physical encounter on the mat with a big ugly American with red eyes and bad breath who trained with O-Sensei I received a book in the mail. It was form that same individual with a note saying “Dennis, after what life has dealt you need to learn to “DO IT WITH LOVE”. You know after reading that book I knew what he meant.
Dennis Hooker
http://www.shindai.com

George Ledyard
3rd August 2000, 22:25
Originally posted by Tony Peters

Originally posted by George Ledyard

The first two I'll agree are quite good as I own both and found them to be extreamly thought provoking however my copy of Abundant Peace can from a used bookstore and went right back within a week, Maybe I've read too much of John Stevens work but with the exception of "The sword of no sword," it all seems the same. My personal favorite three are

Budo: Training in Aikido By M. Ueshiba

Aikido exercises for teaching and training By Carol Shifflitt

I picked Abundant Peace because it contains more information about the life of the Founder than any other single sourse in English. I understand that some of the wowie zowie stuff in there should have been toned down, Saotome Sensei was pretty about some of the "magic waza" stories, felt they detracted from O-Sensei's real accomplishments.
But until Stan Pranin decides to do the definitive biography using the accumalted data from his many years of study, the only way to do any better than Abundant Peace is to work through years of Aikido Journal articles and piece the info together yourself. That is too much for most beginner / intermediate types to do. That's why i chose that book.

If anyone is interested in my selection of the best Aikido related books with which I am familiar, check out this page:
http://www.aikieast.com/frmain.htm
I know this is a shameless promotion of my Amazon bookstore but it was way easier than recopying all the titles.

[Edited by George Ledyard on 08-03-2000 at 05:33 PM]

Dennis Hooker
4th August 2000, 14:42
I hope soon to publish a book on some of the breathing and meditation exercises as used in some Aikido classes as taught to me by Saotome Sensei to assist my living with Myasthenia Gravis, and to prepare me for some surgical procedures wherein my recovery was not assured and in real question. They worked so well in fact that with the aid of a respiratory therapist and a physician I removed a lot of the spiritual purple smoke and mysticism and got to the fact of the physical matter of why they worked and what they do internally. Although many of these activities
have a foundation in Eastern Mysticism they have survived because of their intrinsic tangible value. The manuscript has been written and now I am trying to figure out the best way to illustrated the mechanics of the movements. Although a lot can be said about ones faith also. There is
nothing to say one can not be of any faith and perform these activities in a faith based manner and not receive the same or greater value for the effort. My intent is not to make money but to help other people like me.
Dennis Hooker

Yamantaka
1st April 2002, 16:28
Originally posted by Dennis Hooker
I hope soon to publish a book on some of the breathing and meditation exercises as used in some Aikido classes as taught to me by Saotome Sensei to assist my living with Myasthenia GravisDennis Hooker

YAMANTAKA : Hey, Dennis San! Remember my son is your companion in MG. As soon as your book is completed, I'm interested in buying one.
Good work and best regards :wave:

Mike Clarke
2nd April 2002, 02:45
Being an Iwama practioner I would have to add the Traditional Aikido series in the 'technical manual class' to the others by Saito Sensei already mentioned . You can look at these over and over and still get new information or new perspectives.

Incidentally, I got the first of the Aikido and Chinese Martial Arts Relations books. The Chinese section was fantastic, the photos looked dynamic and powerful and the co-author (can't remember his name at the moment) looks like an incredible practioner. I didn't feel that about the aikido section though. Am I the only one? It might just be my lack of understanding.

Regards

Mike

Ian McDonald
2nd April 2002, 18:51
So many good books...

I like Saotome Sensei's two books tremendously. Another book I'd like to recommend and remind folks about is "Aikido with Ki" which was wriiten by one of Tohei Sensei's deshi (Maruyama?). It contains good descriptions of basic aiki-taiso (aiki exercises) not found in most other books as well as some ki exercises. All in all, a good addition to any Aikido library. Doshu's book "Spirit of Aikido" is an important book.

MikeCallender
8th April 2002, 01:35
An excellent book for the new student is "A Beginner's Guide to Aikido" by Larry Reynosa and Joseph Billingiere.
I also highly recommend "Aikido Masters" by Stanley Pranin.

I hope this helps.

Train Hard
Mike Callender

PRehse
8th April 2002, 04:50
Newly out is the English translation of Aikido Kyogi by Shishida and Nariyama. These are the two shihans of the Japan Aikido Association (Tomiki) with the former being a professor of Budo history at Waseda University. I know of at least one Aikikai Shihan that uses it as text for his highschool students (he told me this over beer).

The English translatioln is Aikido Tradition and the Competitive Edge
ISBN 0-9647083-2-9

Chris Li
8th April 2002, 06:37
Originally posted by PRehse
Newly out is the English translation of Aikido Kyogi by Shishida and Nariyama. These are the two shihans of the Japan Aikido Association (Tomiki) with the former being a professor of Budo history at Waseda University. I know of at least one Aikikai Shihan that uses it as text for his highschool students (he told me this over beer).

The English translatioln is Aikido Tradition and the Competitive Edge
ISBN 0-9647083-2-9

Do you mean "Aikido Kyoushitsu" ("Aikido Classroom")? I couldn't find any Japanese listings on "Aikido Kyogi" (not even on the Japanese Shodokan page), but "Aikido Kyoushitsu" was listed in a couple of places by Shishida and Nariyama...

May not mean much if the printing was private or very small. OTOH, it might be better if you didn't tell me, it'll just add to the pile of Japanese budo books that I've been meaning to read but still haven't gotten to :).

Best,

Chris

PRehse
8th April 2002, 07:23
Originally posted by Chris Li

Do you mean "Aikido Kyoushitsu" ("Aikido Classroom")? ......

Um.....yes. God I hate Japanese.

Chris Li
8th April 2002, 08:24

Um.....yes. God I hate Japanese.

Thanks! I ordered a copy of the Japanese edition. Interesting title change, though...

Back on topic, if you read Japanese I recommend "Tomei na Chikara", although it's not really flattering to M. Ueshiba. If you're interested in what M. Ueshiba really thought than the only real source in print is "Take Musu Aiki", a series of lectures to the Byakko Shinko Kai by M. Ueshiba, but be prepared to put in some study time, even if you read at native or near-native level.

Best,

Chris

PRehse
8th April 2002, 08:38
Originally posted by Chris Li

Thanks! I ordered a copy of the Japanese edition. Interesting title
change, though...

I thought so too considering very little has to do with competition. By the way I would be interested in your opinion about the book once you've finished.

I have yet to see the English version other than the first draft of translations. It was done by half a dozen groups and I really hope it was smoothed out in the interveneing couple of years.

Ah the memories, contorting around the computer screen, trying to keep as close to the Japanese without sounding like an idiot.

Chris Li
8th April 2002, 12:31
I thought so too considering very little has to do with competition. By the way I would be interested in your opinion about the book once you've finished.

Sure, might be a while before I actually get down to reading it though - I ordered a copy of Sunadomari's new book at the same time, so I'll have to make a choice, and I just picked up a used copy of the Heiho Kaden-sho...

I have yet to see the English version other than the first draft of translations. It was done by half a dozen groups and I really hope it was smoothed out in the interveneing couple of years.

Ah the memories, contorting around the computer screen, trying to keep as close to the Japanese without sounding like an idiot.

It was a long time before I realized just how much even good translations change the flavor of texts sometimes. I don't remember who said it, but I remember reading once somebody saying that reading a translation was like looking at a tapestry from the back - you can see the picture, but you lose a lot from the original.

It depends on the type of text, though. I don't think that I would ever attempt to translate things by Morihei Ueshiba, for example, but people who are more straightforward in their expression come through much, much better.

Best,

Chris

allan
11th April 2002, 19:34
Hello all,

I have just finished reading Dueling With O-Sensei: Grappling With the Myth of the Warrior Sage by Ellis Amdur. I can't believe that this book hasn't been recommended already! The most interesting book on aiki that I've read by farand one of the most thought provoking martial arts books I've ever encountered. (And let me say that reading this book has truly been an encounter!) Really, no martial arts book has really got me to self-reflect this much. One thing in particular about Amdur that amazes me is how he has made his arts (Araki-ryu, Toda-ha Bukko ryu, aikido) his own. He has searched himself and his arts to find their relevance outside the dojo. A stunning book.

nick lowry
11th April 2002, 20:16
I liked Deuling with O-Sensi as well and you might try Angry White Pyjamas -- I found it to be a very funny aikido book that will dispell any fantasy about "doing the real deal in JAPAN!" Brutal stuff, funny stuff, scary stuff, but rings true.
(I suspect it might just tick off a fair segment of the aikido world)
For a serious and detailed take on philosophy, learning, teaching, aikido and life in general you might try Karl Geis's book The Book Of Twelve Winds
For a technical book on the Fugakukai system of aikido you can check out mine (folks seem to like it -- though as its author I'm still unsatisfied with it) titled Aikido: Principles of Kata and Randori

nick lowry
11th April 2002, 20:22
I liked Deuling with O-Sensi as well and you might try Angry White Pyjamas -- I found it to be a very funny aikido book that will dispell any fantasy about "doing the real deal in JAPAN!" Brutal stuff, funny stuff, scary stuff, but rings true.
(I suspect it might just tick off a fair segment of the aikido world)
For a serious and detailed take on philosophy, learning, teaching, aikido and life in general you might try Karl Geis's book The Book Of Twelve Winds
For a technical book on the Fugakukai system of aikido you can check out mine (folks seem to like it -- though as its author I'm still unsatisfied with it) titled Aikido: Principles of Kata and Randori

dakotajudo
14th April 2002, 15:52
One book that helped me understand aikido as practiced today is Complete Aikido by Suenaka (not to be confused with Aikido Complete by Yamada, also a good book, especially for Aikikai).

Suenaka's book is interesting in that the first part is a memoir of his aikido practice; as such is provides one perspective of the split between Tohei (Suenaka's teacher) and Ueshiba K. and also documents some of the early history of Ki Aikido.

Ron Tisdale
27th February 2003, 14:04
Top of the list right now is the english translation of Gozo Shioda's an Aikido Life (translation by J. Payet Sensei). Excellent read. It gives an interesting perspective on some of the "rougher" sides of aikido.

Ron Tisdale

Daniel san
27th February 2003, 15:30
Hello,
I recently read a review of this book that brushed it aside because it said the pictures were inaccurate. Can anyone comment on that. From an artists point of view they are great but if they are misleading from a martial arts point of view then that would be good to know. Also, has that artist done other books?
Thank you

AikidoShugyo
27th February 2003, 17:43
Hello Daniel,

We are talking of Shioda's biography - Aikido Shugyo - right!?
I cannot see where it is inaccurate. The stories Shioda presents concerning him seem quite down to earth and realistic. The stories about Ueshiba - well not sure if the are inaccurate ;-)

There are two more books by Shioda I know of: 'Total Aikido' and 'Dynamic Aikido'. The former is the newer one. I think it could be considered THE book on Aikido techniques - even for non-Yoshinkan people.

Just the opinion of a beginner, though...

greets
Steffen

Daniel san
27th February 2003, 21:02
I was refering to Aikido and the Dynamic Sphere. I wrote it in the subject but forgot to read over what I had said before I sent it. I wasn't clear sorry.

TommyK
27th February 2003, 21:23
Greetings,

I have been an admirer of Yoshinkan techniques for some time and own and have read the other works mentioned. Can someone help me wiht the following request?

I would appreciate it if someone could tell me an outlet that is available to buy this book, translated, I assume, into English.

Any responses would be greatly appreciated!

Regards,
TommyK

AikidoShugyo
28th February 2003, 07:35
Hello Tom,

You can get 'Aikido Shugyo' - Shiodas very entertaining autobiography via Shindokan Books (http://www.shindokanbooks.com/shugyo.shtml).
The other two books by him are available via any bookstore, I'd guess.

greets
Steffen

TommyK
1st March 2003, 02:53
Greetings,

I ordered the book today, thank you very much!

Regards,
TommyK