PDA

View Full Version : download fight scenes

okorimbo
2nd November 2001, 18:50
I read with interest the 'MA in the Movies' thread.

I have a question for the computer and DVD savy out there. Would it be possible to download specific fights scenes from a wide variety and splice them into one continuous movie?

I have thought about doing that with VHS and two VCRs, but I don't have unlimited access to Blockbuster.

Its very possible this has already been done.

captlid
10th December 2001, 06:43
It would be nice if you have a dvd player, becuase the videos are in digital format. Otherwise you can buy a video capture card and the appropriate input/output cables for your vcr and computer. A cd recorder is a good idea if you plan on backing up your work. Two sites that come to mind are www.digital-digest.com www.divx-digest.com. They have all the information you would need to make divx's. Contrary to what the MPAA says divx and mpeg4 is not illegal, its a video compression format. Before I forget plan on having at least 20 gigs of space on your hard drive to work with video, because it can only be edited uncompressed.

lidia chachanashvili

red_fists
10th December 2001, 07:15
Hi.

An alternative might be VCD(Video CD) Format, all you need for this is a CD R/W (lots cheaper than a DVD Writer) and some small Software.

Most DVD Players and PC can handle this format fine as it is MPEG 1 Standard, granted Quality/Control might not as good but than do we really need DVD quality??

Just a thought.

red_fists
10th December 2001, 07:28
One other thing.

Last time I checked standards for encoding were as follows:

VCD - MPEG 1
DVD - MPEG 2

I don't think that MPEG 4 is being used yet(too new), but either way the standards are free, BUT not the way that each Company has implemented them. Mostly it boils down to encoding algorithms and so on.

So check with the "copyright requirements" for your Software that writes/uses the MPEG standard, to be prepared for any nasty surprises.

JudoSensei
10th December 2001, 22:47
I have VCD's (Video CD's) of the Judo competition in the 2000 Olympics, but I don't know how to watch them on my PC with my CD R/W drive. Does anyone know what the software is that I need and where I can get it?

Neil Ohlenkamp

red_fists
11th December 2001, 00:00
Hi.

It depends if your PC has an MPEG1 Decoder build in, some older machines do not.

If you have neither Decoder hardware nor software installed I think you just get a green screen.

I use a nifty little Software called "IrfanView", which is available for free on the Net. Simply use a search engine like Google and it will pop up.

Hope this helps.