View Full Version : Masahiko Kimura autobiography in English

Joseph Svinth
18th July 2000, 06:44
Go to:

http://go.to/stickgrappler

Then Japanese MA.

MarkF
19th July 2000, 05:36
This is a fun read! Masahiko's descriptions of his daily workouts have been known for some time, and his o soto gari is said to be without equal, even today. If you recall, he states his kuzushi, or unbalancing is more to the side in which he is able to throw his weight into the upper body of his opponents.

BTW: Just to clear up one error, the name of one of the wrestlers, called "gorigerello" is actually Gorry Guerrero, a national treasure in Mexico. While I don't know if Gorry is still living, he had at least three sons who followed their father into rasslin, and I believe two grandchildren as well. If it is the same man then the approximation of his height and weight are way overblown, as Gorry was a lightheavyweight, at best, and is much, much shorter than the near 200cm given in this translation. However, this did nothing to his popularity south of the border. Pro wrestling in Mexico carries the same "weight" with the masses as "puroresu" does in Japan. Some, as El Santo (The Saint), when out wearing their masks, were usually mobbed by children and adults alike. I am sure the same goes with Rikidozan in Japan.

What do you think of this new style of professional judo, now being promoted by Mike Swain, and is called something like New Match judo in which Ippon scores points but does not end the match. It goes the time limit, or is stopped by submission only. A pin (osaekomi waza) scores the same as a throw by Ippon. Any comments on Kimura or this new style judo match?