PDA

View Full Version : Tantojutsu

the Khazar Kid
5th November 2001, 18:12
Does anyone here practice traditional Japanese Tantojutsu? How does it compare to other knife systems?

Jesse Peters

INFINOO
7th November 2001, 01:04
I practice modern Tanto-jutsu, does that count?
How does it compare to other knife arts? Because your question is so open I will give you two points to get the ball rolling. IMO one of tanto's major strong points over other knives and knife systems is in its drawing meathods. For example if a small tanto(9 inches overall) is worn in a tradional meathod(even in a pair of jeans with the waiste band tied with a rope) at the front of the waiste band , with the edge up. It can be drawn "quickly and confidently" with either hand, forward or reverse grip, blade in or out. All of these draws can be done while doubled over sitting, laying down or while rolling around grappling. That point alone makes tanto-jutsu worth studying. For self protection, the knife your carrying and can "get to" in a time of need, is of great importance. My second point goes to "How does tanto-jutsu compare to other blade arts"? After studying(and continue to study) several "system" including kali , chinese military knife, western bowie meathods, prison knife tactics, I can say that they all have there place in "my system". So I think your asking the wrong question IMO. I think the question is "how can tanto -jutsu fit in with
"your" other knife system". At least thats the question that Im working on. And to that question I would say that tanto-jutsu gets along with the others just fine.

Gregory Rogalsky
Director of Rogalsky Combatives International

Richard Elias
12th November 2001, 06:46
"How does it compare to other knife systems?"

In what respect?

the Khazar Kid
12th November 2001, 19:14
Thank you for the info! When the Tanto is worn in the belt in "traditional style" is the point to your right or left? What kind of grips are used? I have heard of the "namken" with the finger along the back of the blade, is this a tantojutsu technique? I have also heard of the reverse grip with the back of the blade along the forearm, and the grip with the pommel cupped in the palm, both being "Japanese" techniques?

Jesse Peters

Richard Elias
12th November 2001, 20:00
The point should be to your left, with the hand-guard (if there is one) at your center and the edge up.

There are various grips that can be used with any knife, the ones you mention and then some.

Not to be a salesman but, my teacher puts out a video on some of the techniques from our style of tantojutsu. It covers some of the history, how it's worn, various types of grips and cuts, and numorous basic techniques. You can get it through Bugei.

Brently Keen
12th November 2001, 20:09
Those interested in tantojutsu (modern or traditional) should look over the photos in this thread over at Bugei's swordforum. The title of the thread serves as a warning to use discretion before allowing children to see these photos - but the photos themselves also serve as a wake up to the realities of combat with knives.

http://www.swordforumbugei.com/ubb/Forum16/HTML/000087.html

Be safe folks,

Brently Keen

INFINOO
12th November 2001, 23:09
Jesse Peters: Yes, do get the tape Tanto-Jutsu from bugei its a classic. That particular tape covers a lot of ground in 60 minutes including history, grips/manipulation and over sixty forms.
Hope you got slow motion on your V.C.R.
As far as cupping the pommel, I would say that it is not a techneque exclusive to tanto-jutsu per say. As other knife systems reinforce the butt end for reinforced thrusting hooking and cutting motions. For instance www.Rovere.com has a tape on a military knife form where this type of "reinforcement" is shown. Its interesting just how simular blade arts can somtimes be, even though they come from completly differnt cultures. I suppose there are just so many effecient and effective ways to deal with any particular problem. Although in this instance that I mentioned the footwork and "set up" are both a little differnt. Hope this helps.
Regards
Gregory Rogalsky
Director of Rogalsky Combatives International