PDA

View Full Version : Renkoho

Kit LeBlanc
6th November 2001, 15:57
Can anyone point me to resources RE: Kodokan's Renkoho? Apparently they are come alongs and police restraining methods. I would imagine that there have been changes and updates in the waza over the years.

Have they been subsumed under Taiho jutsu? Is a renkoho curriculum still taught at Kodokan? Police dojo?

Don, anything come up in your research on this?

Kit

Tom Christy
7th November 2001, 04:18
Mr. LeBlanc,

There is a very small section covering Renkoho in Sumiyuki Kotani's (KDK 9th dan)book "Kata of Kodokan Judo". There are a total of 12 techniques covered in the space of 4 pages. That's not much, but I hope that helps.

Good luck in your search,

Kit LeBlanc
7th November 2001, 04:29
Mr. Christy,

Thanks so much, now off to the book search!!!!

efb8th
8th November 2001, 04:10
Hi, Kit.

Try Forty-One Lessons in the Modern science of Jujitsu by Kuwashima. It is fairly easy to find at a reasonable price at 21 North Main or ABE books, and it has some great stuff in it!

Hope that helps,

Regards,

johan smits
8th November 2001, 06:51
Hi,

the book by Kuwashima will be a nice addtition to your library but I don't think it mentions Renkoho as such (the techniques may be in the book I don't know).
The only Kata book by Sumiyuki Kotani I have found so far is the 1968 (first) edition, published by Koyano Bussan Kaisha Ltd. (Kobe).
I guess there is a very good chance such a book has been reprinted.
Are the names of those twelve techniques known? I would like to know some more about it. I think Kawaishi mentions it as a kata, is this correct? If so does anybody know about the history of this kata, where or from whom it originated?
AAaaah so many questions.

Johan Smits

tommysella
8th November 2001, 10:56
Hi Johan!

Kotani does not give any names for the techniques in the Renkoho section. I don't think one threat them as kata (in the terms as most people think of kata), but of course you practise them as kata (these are not techniques for randori)...

I have read some statement that these techniques are not that old. I guess older Renkoho techniques must have included ropes (?)...

regards,
Tommy

johan smits
8th November 2001, 12:34
Hi Tommy,

Thanks and I think you are right about the older Renkoho. Wouldn't that be police techniques? Taihojutsu is a modern form (I think) for police. I have read that in the early meiji period a system for sword training and also a system for unarmed training for police was developed. I seem to remember that it's source were the koryu schools but probably Kodokan Judo had it's influence in a later stadium.

I don't think I have ever met a judo teacher in the Netherlands who has even heard of the term Renkoho. You don't hear much about it, I wonder if it is still practised.
With all the info lately on the lesser known subjects of judo it becomes pretty much clear that judo indeed is an allround system ( as a lot of judoka has already told us, it is true).

For now.

Best Regards,

Johan Smits

efb8th
11th November 2001, 07:41
Hi, Kit.

Sorry I misunderstood your question. The Kuwashima book makes no reference to a formal list of waza, but as a DZR guy, I couldn't help but notice some very good police Yawara mixed in. Now I've got to find Kotani Sensei's book!

Thanks for opening a new door for me.

Regards,