PDA

View Full Version : Karate in Vegas?

hakutsuru
8th November 2001, 07:56
I am considering relocating to Las Vegas, NV. Does anyone know of a reputable okinawan karate dojo in the Las Vegas area.

Thanks,

Thomas Lane

Doug Daulton
8th November 2001, 16:05
Mr. Lane,

You have two good options of which I am aware ...

1. Las Vegas School of Shotokan Karate (http://www.lvshotokan.com/): Founded by the late Ozawa Osamu sensei and now run by James Tawatao sensei. I am generally not a big fan of tournaments. However, the Ozawa International, held in Vegas every spring and sponsored by this dojo, is hands down the best large scale, cross-ryuha tournament I've ever attended. Many well-respected teachers of Okinawan and Japanese karate also attend to demonstrate, officiate and/or teach seminars (Morio Higaonna, Fumio Demura , Teruo Chinen, Shinyu Gushi, William Dometrich and Stan Schmidt).

While I've never actually trained at the dojo, their students were exceptionally polite and very skilled. In addition, the fact that the teachers above make a point of attending, says volumes about what they thought of Ozawa sensei and, by extension, his dojo.

2. There is also a Matsubayashi Shorin-ryu Yondan teaching out of his home. I have trained with him. He is a great guy and storehouse of knowledge. I am not certain his classes are open to the public. So, if you are interested, e-mail me offline and I'll pass on his contact info.

Regards,